Learning Scheme

Tim Sheasby
Wanting to get more involved in LilyPond. Would like to learn Scheme. What is the best tutorial to get going? Thanks

Tim Sheasby

Sheaf logo small.jpg (30K) Download Attachment

Re: Learning Scheme

Graham Percival-3
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:14:54PM +0200, Tim Sheasby wrote:
> Wanting to get more involved in LilyPond. Would like to learn Scheme. What is the best tutorial to get going? Thanks

Have you tried looking in our Contributor's Guide?
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/lilypond-programming-languages

Re: Learning Scheme

Michael Ellis
Hi Tim,
I've been walking down this path during the past few months.  So far,
the tutorial that helped me most is the online book at

http://icem-www.folkwang-hochschule.de/~finnendahl/cm_kurse/doc/schintro/schintro_4.html#SEC3

It's rather old, but the informal yet very concrete approach was just
perfect for my background and experience.

Cheers,
Mike

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Tim Sheasby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wanting to get more involved in LilyPond. Would like to learn Scheme. What is the best tutorial to get going? Thanks
>
> Tim Sheasby

Re: Learning Scheme

Pierre THIERRY-2
Scribit Tim Sheasby dies 03/03/2011 hora 20:14:
> Wanting to get more involved in LilyPond. Would like to learn Scheme.
> What is the best tutorial to get going? Thanks

If you really like mathematics, I strongly recommend SICP[1]. It will
explain Scheme in a very pedagogical way, at a very reasonable speed,
and will teach you a whole lot of very important principles about good
programming discipline. And it will have you grasp the very essence of
what is programming and a programming language... Also, there are
videos[2] of the course as taught at MIT.

  1. http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
  2. http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

If not, I think "Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum days"[3] is quite good.
I think the six first chapters cover all the basics you need to develop
in Scheme, the rest is a mix between a few more advanced topics (wrt
basics, so it includes I/O and accessing files) and chapters that will
just blow you mind showing you what amazing stuff Lisp can do (that
most others can't).

  3. http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme.html

And last but not least, although I never ded really inspect its content
beyond the very beginning, there's How To Design Programs[4], which
relies on DrRacket[5], a very nice IDE for Scheme and variants of the
language. For a beginner, DrRacket is a very good choice and provides a
debugger which really helps understand what is going on when Scheme code
runs (even for non beginners, it is probably the best Lisp debugger I
ever saw).

  4. http://www.htdp.org/
  5. http://racket-lang.org/

Actually, to get a first glimpse of what Scheme is, you can try Racket's
quick introduction[6], that makes you program with pictures.

  6. http://docs.racket-lang.org/quick/index.html

Alternatively,
Pierre
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A