Latest lilypond stable release?

H. S. Teoh
According to the website (lilypond.org), the latest stable release is
2.18.2, and the unstable release is 2.19.82.

However, I've been using the latest version from git, and it claims to
be version 2.21.0.  So, what happened to 2.20.*?  Why does the git
version claim to be 2.21.0?

More pertinently, what version should I be using on the \version line?

Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because that would also stop them from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Re: Latest lilypond stable release?

Simon Albrecht-2
On 19.09.2018 01:46, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> According to the website (lilypond.org), the latest stable release is
> 2.18.2, and the unstable release is 2.19.82.
>
> However, I've been using the latest version from git, and it claims to
> be version 2.21.0.  So, what happened to 2.20.*?  Why does the git
> version claim to be 2.21.0?
>
> More pertinently, what version should I be using on the \version line?

2.19.82 is already a prerelease for 2.20.0, since we’re in the process
leading up to this next stable release. IIUC, this is why the git
version is called 2.21.0, because only some of the changes applied now
will still make it into the stable release and most will be 2.21 material.
It is customary for those who compile from current master to use a
2.21.0 version statement indeed.

Best, Simon

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 01:53:38AM +0200, Simon Albrecht wrote:

> On 19.09.2018 01:46, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > According to the website (lilypond.org), the latest stable release
> > is 2.18.2, and the unstable release is 2.19.82.
> >
> > However, I've been using the latest version from git, and it claims
> > to be version 2.21.0.  So, what happened to 2.20.*?  Why does the
> > git version claim to be 2.21.0?
> >
> > More pertinently, what version should I be using on the \version
> > line?
>
> 2.19.82 is already a prerelease for 2.20.0, since we’re in the process
> leading up to this next stable release. IIUC, this is why the git
> version is called 2.21.0, because only some of the changes applied now
> will still make it into the stable release and most will be 2.21
> material.  It is customary for those who compile from current master
> to use a 2.21.0 version statement indeed.
[...]

Ah, that explains it.  Thanks!

MAS = Mana Ada Sistem?