Large gap in text.

Hwaen Ch'uqi
Greetings All,
     I am nearing the end of preparations for my first
LilyPond-generated publication. My problem lies in the prefatory
matter. I have trimmed the code as lean as possible and have attached
both .ly and .pdf files. As you will see, a highly undesired page
break occurs, leaving a great amount of unused vertical space on page
1. However, if I will remove the code for page 3, pages 1 and 2 will
compile as expected. Is it possible that I have a misunderstanding
regarding \markuplist or \vspace? Can anyone advise me? The matter is
now somewhat time-sensitive.
     Thank you so much.
Hwaen Ch'uqi

Book.ly (8K) Download Attachment
Book.pdf (74K) Download Attachment

Re: Large gap in text.

Hwaen Ch'uqi
     For clarification, the last pdf attachment showed pages 1 and 2
correctly displayed. Here i the pdf which matches the code which I
earlier sent, with the large gap.
     Thank you again for any help.
Hwaen Ch'uqi

On 1/17/14, Hwaen Ch'uqi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>      I am nearing the end of preparations for my first
> LilyPond-generated publication. My problem lies in the prefatory
> matter. I have trimmed the code as lean as possible and have attached
> both .ly and .pdf files. As you will see, a highly undesired page
> break occurs, leaving a great amount of unused vertical space on page
> 1. However, if I will remove the code for page 3, pages 1 and 2 will
> compile as expected. Is it possible that I have a misunderstanding
> regarding \markuplist or \vspace? Can anyone advise me? The matter is
> now somewhat time-sensitive.
>      Thank you so much.
> Hwaen Ch'uqi

Book.pdf (75K) Download Attachment

Re: Large gap in text.

Phil Holmes
>     I am nearing the end of preparations for my first
> LilyPond-generated publication. My problem lies in the prefatory
> matter. I have trimmed the code as lean as possible and have attached
> both .ly and .pdf files. As you will see, a highly undesired page
> break occurs, leaving a great amount of unused vertical space on page
> 1. However, if I will remove the code for page 3, pages 1 and 2 will
> compile as expected. Is it possible that I have a misunderstanding
> regarding \markuplist or \vspace? Can anyone advise me? The matter is
> now somewhat time-sensitive.
>     Thank you so much.
> Hwaen Ch'uqi

Hi.

It looks to me that Lilypond is doing to your text what it should do to
music: make it so that the number of systems per page are balanced. Because
you've forced a page turn before the acknowledgements, it's now as if you
have 6 systems of music, but want 5 of them on page 1 and 1 on page 2:
Lilypond naturally disagrees, wanting a balance with 3 on each page.

I can't get this to work in your set-up, but I'd suggest it may be best,
given your layout, to use purely manual page breaking.  You can forbid
automatic page breaking with

\override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f

and can then place \pageBreak appropriately.

Alternatively, and if you have the time to use a different approach, I would
strongly recommend lilypond-book
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/lilypond_002dbook) for
projects such as this.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Large gap in text.

Eluze
Phil Holmes-2 wrote
>     I am nearing the end of preparations for my first
> LilyPond-generated publication. My problem lies in the prefatory
> matter. I have trimmed the code as lean as possible and have attached
> both .ly and .pdf files. As you will see, a highly undesired page
> break occurs, leaving a great amount of unused vertical space on page
> 1. However, if I will remove the code for page 3, pages 1 and 2 will
> compile as expected. Is it possible that I have a misunderstanding
> regarding \markuplist or \vspace? Can anyone advise me? The matter is
> now somewhat time-sensitive.
>     Thank you so much.
> Hwaen Ch'uqi

Hi.

It looks to me that Lilypond is doing to your text what it should do to
music: make it so that the number of systems per page are balanced. Because
you've forced a page turn before the acknowledgements, it's now as if you
have 6 systems of music, but want 5 of them on page 1 and 1 on page 2:
Lilypond naturally disagrees, wanting a balance with 3 on each page.

I can't get this to work in your set-up, but I'd suggest it may be best,
given your layout, to use purely manual page breaking.  You can forbid
automatic page breaking with

\override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f

and can then place \pageBreak appropriately.
I think it's strange behavior.

instead of page breaking you can start a new \bookpart!

Eluze