Language selection

Phil Holmes-3
If I go to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/index.html
and click any of the links, I get a page in Spanish, which I'm not.

Anyone know why?

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Language selection

Hans Åberg-2

> On 20 Aug 2020, at 15:22, Phil Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If I go to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/index.html and click any of the links, I get a page in Spanish, which I'm not.
>
> Anyone know why?

Probably because your parents weren't Spanish.

Re: Language selection

Werner LEMBERG
>> If I go to
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/index.html and
>> click any of the links, I get a page in Spanish, which I'm not.
>>
>> Anyone know why?
>
> Probably because your parents weren't Spanish.

:-)

    Werner

Re: Language selection

Andrew Bernard
Didn't we establish these are the Catalan pages?

Andrew

On 20/08/2020 11:22 pm, Phil Holmes wrote:
> If I go to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/index.html and
> click any of the links, I get a page in Spanish, which I'm not.
>
> Anyone know why?

Re: Language selection

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Donnerstag, den 20.08.2020, 14:22 +0100 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> If I go to
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/notation/index.html
>
> and click any of the links, I get a page in Spanish, which I'm not.
>
> Anyone know why?

I think this is because we didn't have !312 in the release, so there
are no symlinks *.en.html -> *.html; compare:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/learning/index.en.html
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/learning/index.en.html

I actually had some time now to look into this and I think we can get
without the symlinks by putting

DefaultLanguage en

into .htaccess; and additionally setup a rewrite to preserve the links:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.+).en.html $1.html [L]

Han-Wen, could you give that a try on lilypond.org? If that works, I
can put up a proper MR (and maybe also revert the hack from !312).

Jonas

Re: Language selection

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 5:36 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I actually had some time now to look into this and I think we can get
> without the symlinks by putting
>
> DefaultLanguage en
>
> into .htaccess; and additionally setup a rewrite to preserve the links:
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> RewriteRule ^(.+).en.html $1.html [L]
>
> Han-Wen, could you give that a try on lilypond.org? If that works, I
> can put up a proper MR (and maybe also revert the hack from !312).

It appears to work (hurray). There is a large .htaccess with all kinds of
historical cruft in /var/www/lilypond, but I think we could just add the
above .htaccess to the website.zip file, and do the same for the
documentation tarball.

Re: Language selection

Jonas Hahnfeld
Am Donnerstag, den 20.08.2020, 22:59 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 5:36 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I actually had some time now to look into this and I think we can get
> > without the symlinks by putting
> >
> > DefaultLanguage en
> >
> > into .htaccess; and additionally setup a rewrite to preserve the links:
> >
> > RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
> > RewriteRule ^(.+).en.html $1.html [L]
> >
> > Han-Wen, could you give that a try on lilypond.org? If that works, I
> > can put up a proper MR (and maybe also revert the hack from !312).
> >

> It appears to work (hurray). There is a large .htaccess with all kinds of historical cruft in /var/www/lilypond, but I think we could just add the above .htaccess to the website.zip file, and do the same for the documentation tarball.
I guess you are referring to lilypond.org.htaccess? Actually, I'd
prefer to do it there (!340) because this is also where the content
negotiation gets setup. The other .htaccess files serve no purpose for
hosting on lilypond.org AFAICT (all handled by the global .htaccess).