Language of error messages / jEdit

Thomas Scharkowski
Hi list,
I think this is more a linux than a lilypond question, but I dare to ask:
How do I change the language of lilypond messages? They are now in german, so
jEdit doesn't recognize them and doesn't display them in its error list.
I have had this problem some time ago, when I tried LilyPond on Suse 9.1. and
could solve it changing some locale settings.
Now  have LilyPond 2.6.4.3 (from autopackage) on a Kanotix/DebianSid system.
I have already changed LC_MESSAGES to unset or "en_US" with no effect on
lilypond.

Thank you,
Thomas (still new to linux)

Re: Language of error messages / jEdit

Mats Bengtsson-6
Maybe you have LC_ALL set to german, then it will override LC_MESSAGES
(which in turn overrides LANG).

   /Mats

Thomas Scharkowski wrote:

>Hi list,
>I think this is more a linux than a lilypond question, but I dare to ask:
>How do I change the language of lilypond messages? They are now in german, so
>jEdit doesn't recognize them and doesn't display them in its error list.
>I have had this problem some time ago, when I tried LilyPond on Suse 9.1. and
>could solve it changing some locale settings.
>Now  have LilyPond 2.6.4.3 (from autopackage) on a Kanotix/DebianSid system.
>I have already changed LC_MESSAGES to unset or "en_US" with no effect on
>lilypond.
>
>Thank you,
>Thomas (still new to linux)

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Language of error messages / jEdit

Bertalan Fodor
A more flexible solution would be for LilyPond to use error codes, like
(E001) This is an error.
(W003) Achtung, warnung.
This also would make it possible to handle the different
errors/warnings differently.

Bert

Thomas Scharkowski <[hidden email]> írta:

> Hi list,
> I think this is more a linux than a lilypond question, but I dare to ask:
> How do I change the language of lilypond messages? They are now
in german, so
> jEdit doesn't recognize them and doesn't display them in its error list.
> I have had this problem some time ago, when I tried LilyPond on
Suse 9.1. and
> could solve it changing some locale settings.
> Now  have LilyPond 2.6.4.3 (from autopackage) on a
Kanotix/DebianSid system.
> I have already changed LC_MESSAGES to unset or "en_US" with no
effect on

> lilypond.
>
> Thank you,
> Thomas (still new to linux)

Re: Language of error messages / jEdit

Thomas Scharkowski
LC_ALL is unset, so what could I try next?
Thank you for your patience.

Thomas

> Maybe you have LC_ALL set to german, then it will override LC_MESSAGES
> (which in turn overrides LANG).
>
>    /Mats
>
> Thomas Scharkowski wrote:
>
> >Hi list,
> >I think this is more a linux than a lilypond question, but I dare to
> >ask: How do I change the language of lilypond messages? They are now
> >in german, so jEdit doesn't recognize them and doesn't display them
> >in its error list. I have had this problem some time ago, when I
> >tried LilyPond on Suse 9.1. and could solve it changing some locale
> >settings. Now  have LilyPond 2.6.4.3 (from autopackage) on a
> >Kanotix/DebianSid system. I have already changed LC_MESSAGES to unset
> >or "en_US" with no effect on lilypond.
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Thomas (still new to linux)

>  Mats Bengtsson
>  Signal Processing
>  Signals, Sensors and Systems
>  Royal Institute of Technology
>  SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
>  Sweden
>  Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
>         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
>  Email: [hidden email]
>  WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Language of error messages / jEdit

Mats Bengtsson-6
Check what the command 'locale' says about the value of the different
localization related properties on your system. 'man 3 gettext" will
also provide some information.

   /Mats