LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

stk

LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

stk
Since the problem I encountered involves using Ghostview, which I don't
think was intended in the native Windows distribution of LilyPond 2.6, I
don't think this qualifies as a LilyPond bug.  If I'm wrong about that
assumption, please tell me; I'm new to this list and I welcome your
guidance on the way I try to use it.

As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.  This seems advantageous, as
.PS  files are human-readable (to some extent), and they can be
converted anyway.

I installed LilyPond 2.6 running directly under Windows 98SE.  I ran
LilyPad, which came up with the Welcome to LilyPond .ly file.  I saved the
file, dragged and dropped its icon onto the LilyPond icon; this produced
an (extremely large -- 684 K)  .PS  file.

I opened this  .PS  file with one of the two Ghostviews I have installed:
     Ghostview 4.7 using Ghostscript 8.51 and accessing a bunch of fonts
     that do not include any music fonts (AFAIK).
Ghostview balked and produced only the error message reproduced below
(between the rows of asterisks).

I then opened the same  .PS  file with a different Ghostview:
     Ghostview 2.7 using Ghostscript 5.50 and accessing fonts that include
     a limited number of music fonts supplied by ABCedit.
This time Ghostview displayed the title and C-major scale that one would
expect from looking at the contents of the  .ly  file; it printed correctly.
It looked OK, but I have no way of knowing if the fonts or font sizes
were correct, and I doubt very much that the music fonts supplied
by ABCedit will have all the fonts I need in the long run (for viewing
the  .PS-file  LilyPond output).

So I have two questions:

A) To use Ghostview 4.7 plus Ghostscript 8.51, should I try to find all
the font files scattered throughout the LilyPond distribution and copy
them to a subdirectory which I will then add to Ghostview's Include List
for Ghostscript? This way I would wind up having two Fontmap files, one
Fontmap that came with the Ghostview 4.7 distribution (from the WISC.EDU
Ghostscript mirror), and another Fontmap that came with LilyPond; can I
merge these two, manually eliminating duplications and conflicts?

B) The .PS file produced by LilyPond is very large (684K), and perusing
the  .PS  file with a text processor shows the presence of three very long
%%BeginFont:
%%EndFont:
blocks.  Why should these fonts have to be
embedded in the  .PS  file, since the 3 font-files in question exist (in
LilyPond subdirectories) and therefore could be referenced (one way or
another).

Thank you for your help.

-- Tom

GSview 4.7 2005-03-26
Unknown in Comments section at line 7:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold

Unknown in Comments section at line 8:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma

Unknown in Comments section at line 9:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font PFAEmmentaler-20

Unknown in Prolog section at line 14:
  %%Title: CenturySchL-Bold

Unknown in Prolog section at line 15:
  %%CreationDate: Fri Nov 22 10:58:25 2002

Unknown in Prolog section at line 16:
  %%Creator: frob

Unknown in Prolog section at line 17:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold

Unknown in Prolog section at line 27:
  %%EndComments

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3699:
  %%Title: CenturySchL-Roma

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3700:
  %%CreationDate: Fri Nov 22 10:58:15 2002

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3701:
  %%Creator: frob

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3702:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma

Unknown in Prolog section at line 3712:
  %%EndComments

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7319:
  %%DocumentSuppliedResources: font PFAEmmentaler-20

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7320:
  %%Title: PFAEmmentaler-20

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7321:
  %%Version: @TOPLEVEL_VERSION@

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7322:
  %%CreationDate: Mon Jun 27 13:53:39 2005

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7323:
  %%Creator: Jan Nieuwenhuizen,,,

Unknown in Prolog section at line 7332:
  %%EndComments

DSC Information
At line 7347:
   /Notice (This font is distributed under the GNU General Public License. As a special exception, if you create a document which uses this font, and embed this font or unaltered portions of this font into the document, this font does not by itself cause th

Lines in DSC documents must be shorter than 255 characters.
AFPL Ghostscript 8.51 (2005-04-18)
Copyright (C) 2005 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Displaying DSC file C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/WEL2LP.ps
Displaying page 1
%GSVIEW_PDF_MARK: /ANN /Subtype /Link /Action -dict- /Border Error: /typecheck in --length--
Operand stack:
   --nostringval--   Rect   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   0.0   0.0   0.0   4.98132   0   0
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   1   --nostringval--   %repeat_continue   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1129/1686(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:125/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: No such file or directory

--- Begin offending input ---
findfont 3.865234375 scalefont setfont
 /two glyphshow
 /period glyphshow
 /six glyphshow
 /period glyphshow
 /zero glyphshow
 grestore } place-box
067.2209 -163.0777 { gsave 1 output-scale div 1 output-scale div scale
  /CenturySchL-Roma  findfont 3.865234375 scalefont setfont
 /emdash glyphshow
 grestore } place-box
070.0061 -163.0777 { gsave 1 output-scale div 1 output-scale div scale
  /CenturySchL-Roma  findfont 3.865234375 scalefont setfont
 /w glyphshow
 /w glyphshow
 /w glyphshow
 /period glyphshow
 /l glyphshow
 /i glyphshow
 /l glyphshow
 /y glyphshow
 /p glyphshow
 /o glyphshow
 /n glyphshow
 /d glyphshow
 /period glyphshow
 /o glyphshow
 /r glyphshow
 /g glyphshow
 grestore } place-box
} stop-system
showpage

--- End offending input ---
file offset = 0
gsapi_run_string_continue returns -101

Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

Paul Scott-3
[hidden email] wrote:

>Since the problem I encountered involves using Ghostview, which I don't
>think was intended in the native Windows distribution of LilyPond 2.6, I
>don't think this qualifies as a LilyPond bug.  If I'm wrong about that
>assumption, please tell me; I'm new to this list and I welcome your
>guidance on the way I try to use it.

There are two parallel threads on this subject.  One on this list and
one on bug-lilypond.  The one on this list has subject:  pdf files.  You
may be slightly ahead of us but join in.

>As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
>a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.  This seems advantageous, as
>.PS  files are human-readable (to some extent), and they can be
>converted anyway.
>
>I installed LilyPond 2.6 running directly under Windows 98SE.  I ran
>LilyPad, which came up with the Welcome to LilyPond .ly file.  I saved the
>file, dragged and dropped its icon onto the LilyPond icon; this produced
>an (extremely large -- 684 K)  .PS  file.

Yes, these ps files are ridiculously large for a file with one simple scale.

Paul Scott

Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

Jan Nieuwenhuizen

> As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
> a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.

This is an unfortunate bug, that should have been solved in one of the
many 2.5 test releases.

> A) To use Ghostview 4.7 plus Ghostscript 8.51, should I try to find all
> the font files scattered throughout the LilyPond distribution and copy
> them to a subdirectory which I will then add to Ghostview's Include List
> for Ghostscript? This way I would wind up having two Fontmap files, one
> Fontmap that came with the Ghostview 4.7 distribution (from the WISC.EDU
> Ghostscript mirror), and another Fontmap that came with LilyPond; can I
> merge these two, manually eliminating duplications and conflicts?

No, the feta fonts are embedded, just set GS_FONTPATH to c:/windows/fonts.

> B) The .PS file produced by LilyPond is very large (684K), and perusing
> blocks.  Why should these fonts have to be
> embedded in the  .PS  file, since the 3 font-files in question exist (in
> LilyPond subdirectories) and therefore could be referenced (one way or
> another).

We keep improving and adding to the LilyPond fonts all the time, so
the output must be self contained.  The PS is intermediate anyway.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

Mats Bengtsson-6
It certainly works on Win XP for me (i.e. I do get a PDF file as
well), but apparently not for Sacha who also uses Win XP.

    /Mats

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>>As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
>>a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.
>

> This is an unfortunate bug, that should have been solved in one of the
> many 2.5 test releases.
>

>>A) To use Ghostview 4.7 plus Ghostscript 8.51, should I try to find all
>>the font files scattered throughout the LilyPond distribution and copy
>>them to a subdirectory which I will then add to Ghostview's Include List
>>for Ghostscript? This way I would wind up having two Fontmap files, one
>>Fontmap that came with the Ghostview 4.7 distribution (from the WISC.EDU
>>Ghostscript mirror), and another Fontmap that came with LilyPond; can I
>>merge these two, manually eliminating duplications and conflicts?
>

> No, the feta fonts are embedded, just set GS_FONTPATH to c:/windows/fonts.
>

>>B) The .PS file produced by LilyPond is very large (684K), and perusing
>>blocks.  Why should these fonts have to be
>>embedded in the  .PS  file, since the 3 font-files in question exist (in
>>LilyPond subdirectories) and therefore could be referenced (one way or
>>another).
>

> We keep improving and adding to the LilyPond fonts all the time, so
> the output must be self contained.  The PS is intermediate anyway.
>
> Jan.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> It certainly works on Win XP for me (i.e. I do get a PDF file as
> well), but apparently not for Sacha who also uses Win XP.

Sacha uses a dos based windows.

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>>>As noted in two previous posts, LilyPond 2.6 for Windows produces
>>>a  .PS  file, not a  .PDF  file.
>> This is an unfortunate bug, that should have been solved in one of
                              ^on dos-based windowses

>> the
>> many 2.5 test releases.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Sacha Standen writes:

[please keep all lilypond related email on the list]

> So if this is a bug, what happens next?  Do we wait for the next
> update?

Waiting sometimes works, but waiting alone does produce a fix.

Someone will investigate and propose a fix, hopefully.  In this case,
Russ is already looking into it.

> Any idea how long?

With free software, the boilerplate answer is: "Sooner if you help."

This case is extra-complicated, because none of the core developers
can reproduce the problem, as we do not have a copy+license of a
DOS-based windows.  We are depending on a new developer/contributor.

I really hope we can produce a fixed update some time soon, but
otherwise we may have to redraw "support" for dos based windowses.

Sorry,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

Re: LP 2.6 on Win98 -- question on Ghostview & on PS file size

Sacha Standen
Jan, I really would help if I could, but being a mere computer user, I know
next to nothing about the technicalities of computers. It's mainly the
jargon that confuses me, although most others on this list seem to be pretty
at ease with it all. I suppose being able to use a complicated software such
as Lilypond mainly only appeals to those with computerish minds. Sorry I
can't contribute more effectively to resolving the problem.

Regards

Sacha