Jazz standard, four bars a line with equal size

Jazz standard, four bars a line with equal size

Bugzilla from abcdefg@solcon.nl
 Hello,

 I'm trying to use lilypond for writing a jazz standard (All the things you
 are), I really like the short syntax and the high quality output of
 lilypond. Thanks for creating this program!

 But I do have a problem, I want to have four bars at a line and also every
 bar must have exactle the same size. Because this makes it much easyer to
 read. Because than all the bar line a on one line (vertical)

 I have searched very much on google, the lilypond site and the mailing list
 archives but I can't find it.

 I did found two different methods to put 4 bars on a line but I did't found
 a way to make all bars the same size.
 The first method was with \break every four bars
 The second was with this code
 \repeat \IForgotThisWord 4 {s1 noBreak s1 noBreak s1 noBreak s1 break}
 As you see I forgot the second word.

 Do you know how I can tell lilypond to make every bar the same length and
 what is the best way to put four bars on every line?

 Thanks,
 David

Re: Jazz standard, four bars a line with equal size

Kieren MacMillan
Hello, David:

> All the things you are

A fabulous tune!

> Thanks for creating this program!

I second that...

> I want to have four bars at a line and also every bar must have
> exactle the same size. Because this makes it much easyer to
>  read. Because than all the bar line a on one line (vertical)

Actually, although jazz charts are written 4-bars to a line, and it
does make it easier to read -- because each line acts as a group of
four -- it's best if the bar-lines are NOT in exactly the same vertical
location, because then it is too easy for the eye to go to the wrong
line.

>  \repeat \IForgotThisWord 4 {s1 noBreak s1 noBreak s1 noBreak s1 break}
>  As you see I forgot the second word.

"unfold" (with the quotation marks)

Best regards,
Kieren.

Re: Jazz standard, four bars a line with equal size

D Josiah Boothby
>> I want to have four bars at a line and also every bar must have
>> exactle the same size. Because this makes it much easyer to
>>  read. Because than all the bar line a on one line (vertical)
>
> Actually, although jazz charts are written 4-bars to a line, and it does make
> it easier to read -- because each line acts as a group of four -- it's best
> if the bar-lines are NOT in exactly the same vertical location, because then
> it is too easy for the eye to go to the wrong line.

This is something that gets tossed about the list every now and again.
Something I posted awhile ago in a previous iteration of this topic may be
of some relevance, and the thread as a whole should be enlightening:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-09/msg00166.html

In essence, perfectly even barlines are not supported. You'd have to ask
Jan or Han-Wen what is involved and how much it means to them, but I know
that in the past, they have been willing to implement features for those
with the will and means to see those features implemented.

Josiah