Is the CG out of date?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is the CG out of date?

ptoye
I'm trying to work out how to run LilyDev in VirtualBox on a Windows system., but the information in section 2.1 of the CG seems to be inaccurate, and I suspect it's a bit out of date.

Under "Installing LilyDev in VirtualBox" the filename is given as lilydev-vm-fedora-VERSION.raw but the downloaded version form the website was LilyDev-1-debian-vm.zip

I assume that this is correct, but in that case should I install it as Debian rather than Fedora?
 
Regards,

Peter
mailto:[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

Federico Bruni-2


Il giorno mar 14 gen 2020 alle 18:21, Peter Toye <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> I'm trying to work out how to run LilyDev in VirtualBox on a Windows
> system., but the information in section 2.1 of the CG seems to be
> inaccurate, and I suspect it's a bit out of date.
>
> Under "Installing LilyDev in VirtualBox" the filename is given as
> lilydev-vm-fedora-VERSION.raw but the downloaded version form the
> website was LilyDev-1-debian-vm.zip
>
> I assume that this is correct, but in that case should I install it
> as Debian rather than Fedora?
>


Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
Please follow the README files in Github.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

ptoye
In reply to this post by ptoye
Dear Federico,

Thanks. The GitHub file has the changed file name (which I'd worked out), but links to the CG documentation which says to install it as Fedora rather than Debian. I'm a Linux newbie, and don't know if it will make any difference. Any hints are welcome.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:



> Il giorno mar 14 gen 2020 alle 18:21, Peter
> Toye <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>> I'm trying to work out how to run LilyDev in VirtualBox on a Windows
>> system., but the information in section 2.1 of the CG seems to be
>> inaccurate, and I suspect it's a bit out of date.
>>
>> Under "Installing LilyDev in VirtualBox" the filename is given as
>> lilydev-vm-fedora-VERSION.raw but the downloaded version form the
>> website was LilyDev-1-debian-vm.zip
>>
>> I assume that this is correct, but in that case should I install it
>> as Debian rather than Fedora?
>>


> Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
> Please follow the README files in Github.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

ptoye
In reply to this post by ptoye
Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:

> Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
> Please follow the README files in Github.

I've now done that and managed to build a VM. The GitHub page README says to follow the CG, but the window doesn't have a menu icon - see the attached screenshot. Maybe the CG needs updating here as well.

I've looked at the 'Applications' tab at the top left of the window, and that brings up a menu which includes 'Settings'. I was able to use this to manage step 8 (change keyboard layout), but there's nothing that I can find to manage the screensaver in step 9. The xfce help file implies that there should be a 'Screensaver' tab somewhere - can you please tell me where it is? And is this step important?

Step 10 mentions the 'System tools' icon (or tab - it's not clear). Again, that seems to have changed, but I found it under the 'Applications" tab.

In the README there's a section QEMU/libvirt which looks as if it's useful only to Linux hosts. Maybe the last section about desktop preferences should be marked in some way as being applicable to Windows hosts as well.

It looks as if one of my jobs is going to be bringing the CG up to date. But as I'm a total newbie here I'll need support in making sure that anything I write is accurate. Will the LilyDev system be likely to change in the near future? In that case there wouldn't be any point.


Best regards,

Peter
mailto:[hidden email]
www.ptoye.com

Lilydev window.png (583K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

pkx166h-4
Hello,

On 16/01/2020 14:52, Peter Toye wrote:
> Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
>> Please follow the README files in Github.
> ...
>
> It looks as if one of my jobs is going to be bringing the CG up to date. But as I'm a total newbie here I'll need support in making sure that anything I write is accurate. Will the LilyDev system be likely to change in the near future? In that case there wouldn't be any point.
>
>
Perhaps the best way would be to 'remove' information from the CG and
replace it with reference/links to the github location rather than
duplicate instructions.


James


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

Michael Käppler-2
Hi all,
the GitHub page has only little information that would be helpful for
newbies, IMHO.
I've already prepared a patch for the mentioned CG section but have not
posted it for review yet,
because it refers to some small changes I contributed to LilyDev in the
last days (two of them have already
been merged into master). I do not know, however, if Federico will make
a new release soon.

Michael

Am 16.01.2020 um 20:40 schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hello,
>
> On 16/01/2020 14:52, Peter Toye wrote:
>> Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
>>> Please follow the README files in Github.
>> ...
>>
>> It looks as if one of my jobs is going to be bringing the CG up to date. But as I'm a total newbie here I'll need support in making sure that anything I write is accurate. Will the LilyDev system be likely to change in the near future? In that case there wouldn't be any point.
>>
>>
> Perhaps the best way would be to 'remove' information from the CG and
> replace it with reference/links to the github location rather than
> duplicate instructions.
>
>
> James
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

Michael Käppler-2
Am 16.01.2020 um 21:54 schrieb Michael Käppler:

> Hi all,
> the GitHub page has only little information that would be helpful for
> newbies, IMHO.
> I've already prepared a patch for the mentioned CG section but have not
> posted it for review yet,
> because it refers to some small changes I contributed to LilyDev in the
> last days (two of them have already
> been merged into master). I do not know, however, if Federico will make
> a new release soon.
>
> Michael
To make it clear, I thought I'd better wait with publishing the patch
until a release reflecting these changes exists. So that the instructions
can be tested. Or should I post it for review, nevertheless?


>
> Am 16.01.2020 um 20:40 schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 16/01/2020 14:52, Peter Toye wrote:
>>> Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:
>>>
>>>> Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
>>>> Please follow the README files in Github.
>>> ...
>>>
>>> It looks as if one of my jobs is going to be bringing the CG up to
>>> date. But as I'm a total newbie here I'll need support in making
>>> sure that anything I write is accurate. Will the LilyDev system be
>>> likely to change in the near future? In that case there wouldn't be
>>> any point.
>>>
>>>
>> Perhaps the best way would be to 'remove' information from the CG and
>> replace it with reference/links to the github location rather than
>> duplicate instructions.
>>
>>
>> James
>>
>>
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

Federico Bruni-2
In reply to this post by Michael Käppler-2
Hi Michael

I'll check the other two PRs tomorrow.
I don't think I'll have time for a new release this week.


Il giorno gio 16 gen 2020 alle 21:54, Michael Käppler
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi all,
> the GitHub page has only little information that would be helpful for
> newbies, IMHO.
> I've already prepared a patch for the mentioned CG section but have
> not
> posted it for review yet,
> because it refers to some small changes I contributed to LilyDev in
> the
> last days (two of them have already
> been merged into master). I do not know, however, if Federico will
> make
> a new release soon.
>
> Michael
>
> Am 16.01.2020 um 20:40 schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 16/01/2020 14:52, Peter Toye wrote:
>>> Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:
>>>
>>>> Yes, the CG is not up-to-date.
>>>> Please follow the README files in Github.
>>> ...
>>>
>>> It looks as if one of my jobs is going to be bringing the CG up to
>>> date. But as I'm a total newbie here I'll need support in making
>>> sure that anything I write is accurate. Will the LilyDev system be
>>> likely to change in the near future? In that case there wouldn't be
>>> any point.
>>>
>>>
>> Perhaps the best way would be to 'remove' information from the CG and
>> replace it with reference/links to the github location rather than
>> duplicate instructions.
>>
>>
>> James
>>
>>
>
>



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

ptoye
In reply to this post by pkx166h-4
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 7:40:55 PM, you wrote:

> Hello,

> On 16/01/2020 14:52, Peter Toye wrote:
>> Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:31:49 PM, you wrote:

>>
>> It looks as if one of my jobs is going to be bringing the CG up to date. But as I'm a total newbie here I'll need support in making sure that anything I write is accurate. Will the LilyDev system be likely to change in the near future? In that case there wouldn't be any point.

>>
> Perhaps the best way would be to 'remove'
> information from the CG and
> replace it with reference/links to the github location rather than
> duplicate instructions.

Good idea.. But until I can get an answer to the mail I posted on this list on 18th I can't do anything at all :(

> James

Peter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

Michael Käppler-2
Am 20.01.2020 um 10:28 schrieb Peter Toye:
> Thursday, January 16, 2020, 7:40:55 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the best way would be to 'remove'
>> information from the CG and
>> replace it with reference/links to the github location rather than
>> duplicate instructions.
As I wrote on 16th of January:

> Hi all,
> the GitHub page has only little information that would be helpful for
> newbies, IMHO.
> I've already prepared a patch for the mentioned CG section but have not
> posted it for review yet,
> because it refers to some small changes I contributed to LilyDev in the
> last days (two of them have already
> been merged into master). I do not know, however, if Federico will make
> a new release soon.
>

Attached is an extract of the CG pages we're discussing, with my recent
(yet only local) changes.
The section regarding the keyboard and locale setup will work in LilyDev
v2, in LilyDev v1 you would
need to install the mentioned tools.

Cheers,
Michael





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

Michael Käppler-2
Am 20.01.2020 um 11:04 schrieb Michael Käppler:
>
> Attached is an extract of the CG pages we're discussing, with my recent
> (yet only local) changes.
>
Urgh, sorry. Really(tm) attached now.


>
>
>
>


contributor_LilyDev_mk.pdf (60K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is the CG out of date?

ptoye
Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:17:42 AM, Michael Käppler wrote:

> Am 20.01.2020 um 11:04 schrieb Michael Käppler:
>>
>> Attached is an extract of the CG pages we're discussing, with my recent
>> (yet only local) changes.
>>
> Urgh, sorry. Really(tm) attached now.

Just noticed a silly typo here - in 'Installing LilyDev in VirtualBox" step 11 /keybord/keyboard/

Hope it's not too late, but doesn't really matter.

I was hoping to get my amendments to NR and LM organised, but haven't been able to as I've been having problems with VirualBox and am very busy now.

Best regards,

Peter