Is it just me or...

Cameron Horsburgh
Hi folks,

I seem to have two problems with 2.11.11, one of which I would expect
to generate a fair bit of traffic on this list. This problem makes it
difficult to triage the second, so before I send off a proper bug
report I'd like to know if anyone else is having the same problems.

For the record, I'm running the pre built binary on Debian Sid. My
machine has 256 MB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor.

First, 2.11.11 seems to be quite resource hungry. In fact, a 3 page
score this afternoon took about 15 minutes to render, and top (when I
could get it running) reported a load of around 12. As soon as
LilyPond had finished my machine went back to normal. It seems to hang
up during the ouptut to PS stage.

Second, I've got a small problem with midi generation. The whole score
renders to midi okay, but the very last note -- in my case a whole
note chord -- is chopped off. Rosegarden renders the note as a 64th
note, but I'm presuming that's quantised. I've tried adding a blank
bar after this chord, but with the same result. I know this didn't
happen in 2.11.7.

Of course, I can't do much with this before the first problem is
fixed... am I the only one??!!??

Re: Is it just me or...

Mats Bengtsson-4
I can see both these problems. I just tried a 7 page score and even
though it
didn't take so extremely long to process, LilyPond was clearly allocating
lots of memory while outputting the PS code, since my machine went into
heavy swapping.

For the MIDI output, it seems that the last note only gets an ON event,
but no OFF event.

   /Mats

Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I seem to have two problems with 2.11.11, one of which I would expect
> to generate a fair bit of traffic on this list. This problem makes it
> difficult to triage the second, so before I send off a proper bug
> report I'd like to know if anyone else is having the same problems.
>
> For the record, I'm running the pre built binary on Debian Sid. My
> machine has 256 MB of RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor.
>
> First, 2.11.11 seems to be quite resource hungry. In fact, a 3 page
> score this afternoon took about 15 minutes to render, and top (when I
> could get it running) reported a load of around 12. As soon as
> LilyPond had finished my machine went back to normal. It seems to hang
> up during the ouptut to PS stage.
>
> Second, I've got a small problem with midi generation. The whole score
> renders to midi okay, but the very last note -- in my case a whole
> note chord -- is chopped off. Rosegarden renders the note as a 64th
> note, but I'm presuming that's quantised. I've tried adding a blank
> bar after this chord, but with the same result. I know this didn't
> happen in 2.11.7.
>
> Of course, I can't do much with this before the first problem is
> fixed... am I the only one??!!??

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
        Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Is it just me or...

Han-Wen Nienhuys-2
Mats Bengtsson escreveu:
> I can see both these problems. I just tried a 7 page score and even
> though it
> didn't take so extremely long to process, LilyPond was clearly allocating
> lots of memory while outputting the PS code, since my machine went into
> heavy swapping.

Hello,

I need to have something more specific. Between which 2 versions did
you start seeing worse behavior?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com

Re: Is it just me or...

Cameron Horsburgh
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 03:17:37PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Mats Bengtsson escreveu:
> > I can see both these problems. I just tried a 7 page score and even
> > though it
> > didn't take so extremely long to process, LilyPond was clearly allocating
> > lots of memory while outputting the PS code, since my machine went into
> > heavy swapping.
>
> Hello,
>
> I need to have something more specific. Between which 2 versions did
> you start seeing worse behavior?

I just tried the same score with 2.11.10 and I had no problems.

Re: Is it just me or...

Johannes Schindelin
Hi,

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 03:17:37PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > Mats Bengtsson escreveu:
> > > I can see both these problems. I just tried a 7 page score and even
> > > though it
> > > didn't take so extremely long to process, LilyPond was clearly allocating
> > > lots of memory while outputting the PS code, since my machine went into
> > > heavy swapping.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to have something more specific. Between which 2 versions did
> > you start seeing worse behavior?
> >

> I just tried the same score with 2.11.10 and I had no problems.

If you compile LilyPond from a local git repository, you can find the
commit relatively fast:

        # start bisecting
        $ git bisect start

        # mark "HEAD" as bad
        $ git bisect bad HEAD

        # mark "2.11.10" as good
        $ git bisect good release/2.11.10

        # now compile it, try it, and depending on the behaviour, mark it
        $ git bisect bad

        # or
        $ git bisect good

        # repeat with compilation and marking bad or good, until git tells
        # you which commit introduced the bad behaviour, then reset:
        $ git bisect reset

This procedure should give you (relatively painlessly) the commit which
has to be fixed. Look what it introduced with

        $ git show <commit>

Hth,
Dscho