Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Vivyan
Hi

I need to run lilypond on the raspberry pi. I can't finsd any sources that
say how to? I would typically use the command sudo apt-get install .., which
has worked for frescobaldi but not lilypond?

Please may I have instructions to install lilypond onto the raspberrry pi,

Many thanks

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Urs Liska-3

Am 18.09.2018 um 09:37 schrieb Vivyan:
> Hi
>
> I need to run lilypond on the raspberry pi. I can't finsd any sources that
> say how to? I would typically use the command sudo apt-get install .., which
> has worked for frescobaldi but not lilypond?

That means that the exact Linux distribution you are running doesn't
include the LilyPond package.
But it's still easy to do: just download the distribution from the
LilyPond website (either http://lilypond.org/unix.html for the "stable"
release or http://lilypond.org/development.html for the "development"
release (which is usually preferrable).

If you run the raspberry without graphic interface you can identify the
download link from the website and download with wget.
Then run the downloaded install script with sh downloaded-file-name.

HTH
Urs

> Please may I have instructions to install lilypond onto the raspberrry pi,
>
> Many thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno mar 18 set 2018 alle 10:54, Urs Liska <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> Am 18.09.2018 um 09:37 schrieb Vivyan:
>> Hi
>>
>> I need to run lilypond on the raspberry pi. I can't finsd any
>> sources that
>> say how to? I would typically use the command sudo apt-get install
>> .., which
>> has worked for frescobaldi but not lilypond?
>
> That means that the exact Linux distribution you are running doesn't
> include the LilyPond package.
> But it's still easy to do: just download the distribution from the
> LilyPond website (either http://lilypond.org/unix.html for the
> "stable" release or http://lilypond.org/development.html for the
> "development" release (which is usually preferrable).

I don't think it's going to work, because IIRC Raspberry Pi runs an
architecture (some kind of arm) for which we do not provide an
installer.

Recently another user willing to use a development version instead of
the stable of his debian repository asked how to easily build lilypond
on Raspberry.

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Vivyan
did they have any success building lilypond?

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Karlin High
On 9/18/2018 7:05 AM, Vivyan wrote:
> did they have any success building lilypond?

I don't know if this is the exact thread that Federico Bruni had in
mind, but it should be close.

<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-04/msg00044.html>

There, Peter Engelbert was trying to compile LilyPond from source.
(Adding him to CC on this post.) He did report that adding the Debian 8
Jessie repository to his APT sources.list allowed a successful install
of LilyPond 2.18.2 on Raspberry Pi. Newer Debian repositories were
missing LilyPond due to a required-version conflict with the Guile package.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Jamie Ching
Your best bet is to compile from source code itself if the distribution doesn't have Lilypond. As it sounds like you're using a Debian-based distribution, check if "sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond" works; if it doesn't, you will need to install the required development packages via apt-get. Be wary that one of Lilypond's dependencies, TeX, takes up quite a bit of space on the microSD card.

There is a set of instructions as to how to compile Lilypond on the website: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/contributor/compiling
Below is a shortcut way to install Lilypond quickly. Refer to the above if needed.

Standard procedure to install programs from source code:
- download the stable version of the Lilypond source code, extract via "tar -xvf", and "cd" into the directory of the extracted folder.
- install "build-essential" via apt-get - build-essential is a collection of libraries, compilers, and other tools used to help compile programs from source code.
- run "./configure" and do install any missing dependencies (usually marked with a "-dev" at the end); keep looping until "./configure" finishes successfully.
- run "make" then "sudo make install"; the processes may take time to finish, depending on the version of the Raspberry Pi.

Hope that helps. Happy engraving.

Best wishes,
Jamie

P.S. : I've noted that the compiling link is broken here on the source code page: http://lilypond.org/source.html

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 01:39, Vivyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I need to run lilypond on the raspberry pi. I can't finsd any sources that
say how to? I would typically use the command sudo apt-get install .., which
has worked for frescobaldi but not lilypond?

Please may I have instructions to install lilypond onto the raspberrry pi,

Many thanks

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno mar 18 set 2018 alle 14:53, Karlin High
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> On 9/18/2018 7:05 AM, Vivyan wrote:
>> did they have any success building lilypond?
>
> I don't know if this is the exact thread that Federico Bruni had in
> mind, but it should be close.
>
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-04/msg00044.html>

Actually, I meant this one (it's an Android tablet, arm processor):
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/How-to-create-an-installer-from-the-Lilypond-build-tree-td215616.html#a215747

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Peter Engelbert
That's right -- I had to add the repository from the earlier version of Debian to the apt sources list.  That was the only way I could get it to install.  Compiling a large program such as lilypond from source was far too difficult for me (I'm a novice when it comes to building from source).

Another way would be to install Arch linux on your raspberry pi, and the arch repository has 2.19.82, though I can't confirm they have the ARM package.

Don't know if I have much more to add--I can't quite remember how to change the apt sources as I switched to arch a while ago.

Best,
Peter

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 07:53:03AM -0500, Karlin High wrote:

> On 9/18/2018 7:05 AM, Vivyan wrote:
> > did they have any success building lilypond?
>
> I don't know if this is the exact thread that Federico Bruni had in mind,
> but it should be close.
>
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-04/msg00044.html>
>
> There, Peter Engelbert was trying to compile LilyPond from source. (Adding
> him to CC on this post.) He did report that adding the Debian 8 Jessie
> repository to his APT sources.list allowed a successful install of LilyPond
> 2.18.2 on Raspberry Pi. Newer Debian repositories were missing LilyPond due
> to a required-version conflict with the Guile package.
> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Engraver

On 18-9-2018 15:49, Federico Bruni wrote:

> Il giorno mar 18 set 2018 alle 14:53, Karlin High
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> On 9/18/2018 7:05 AM, Vivyan wrote:
>>> did they have any success building lilypond?
>>
>> I don't know if this is the exact thread that Federico Bruni had in
>> mind, but it should be close.
>>
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2018-04/msg00044.html>
>>

> Actually, I meant this one (it's an Android tablet, arm processor):
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/How-to-create-an-installer-from-the-Lilypond-build-tree-td215616.html#a215747

As mentioned in the other thread, I managed to create a deb-package from
the lilypond build on my tablet. I copied the deb-file to one of my
Raspberries and ran dpkg -i on it.
After that I had to 'apt-get install' three dependencies:
- guile-1.8-dev
- libpangoft2-1.0
- ghostscript

And it worked! So my tablet build of Lilypond 2.21.0 (from source as it
was on 17th  August) now runs on a Raspberry Pi as well.

Regards,
Auke

On 9/26/2018 1:40 PM, Partitura Organum wrote:
> And it worked! So my tablet build of Lilypond 2.21.0 (from source as it
> was on 17th  August) now runs on a Raspberry Pi as well.

Good going! How about writing a Scores of Beauty blog post about the
project?

<http://lilypondblog.org/join-us/>

--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Am 26.09.2018 um 21:32 schrieb Karlin High:
> On 9/26/2018 1:40 PM, Partitura Organum wrote:
>> And it worked! So my tablet build of Lilypond 2.21.0 (from source as
>> it was on 17th  August) now runs on a Raspberry Pi as well.
>
> Good going! How about writing a Scores of Beauty blog post about the
> project?
>
> <http://lilypondblog.org/join-us/>

That sounds like a great idea. But rather than that link you should get
in touch with me directly ;-)
Urs

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Vivyan
Im following you instructions Jamie Ching this is what the compiler says
after the first configure:

WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs or files:
guile-2.0 < 1.9.0 (installed: 2.0.13)

ERROR: Please install required programs:  International New Century
Schoolbook fonts (make sure the fc-list utility can see them, or use
--with-ncsb-dir) bison flex FlexLexer.h (flex package) mf-nowin mf mfw
mfont mpost kpsewhich metapost CTAN package (texlive-metapost)
guile-config (guile-devel, guile-dev or libguile-dev package) or
guile1-config (guile1-devel package) libguile (libguile-dev,
guile-devel or guile-dev package). GUILE-with-rational-bugfix
fontforge t1asm makeinfo texi2html dblatex bibtex pdflatex pdfetex
pdftex etex texi2pdf texindex epsf.tex lh CTAN package
(texlive-lang-cyrillic or texlive-texmf-fonts) pngtopnm convert

See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond

its not quite clear what I do next can you show me?...sorry for my ignorance

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Engraver

It means you don't have all the required dependencies installed. Beginning
with guile-1.8, plus all the others in the error message. The way forward
is to install each of them. I'm my experience it was quite a puzzle to find
all the right package names. It took al lot of googling. Unfortunately I
did not write them down. For guile I do remember you have to install the
guile-1.8-dev package. If your distribution is debian based, installing is
done by typing

sudo apt-get install guile-1.8-dev

At leat the error message about guile should disappear.

I managed to compile lilypond on my arm based tablet, create a deb-package
from and used that to install lilypond on one of my raspberries. If you are
interested I could sent it to you. I 'm not at home at the moment so it'll
have to wait till I get back.

Regards,
Auke

Op 11 oktober 2018 17:41:49 schreef Vivyan <[hidden email]>:

[...]

That would be grand if you could send that to me, please! would I just have
to install the package that you send following that ?

Re: Instructions to install lilypond onto Raspberry Pi

Engraver

The deb-file is too large for the list and my message was rejected.
I added it to my website, so you can download it there:
http://partitura.org/index.php/lilypond/
I'd like to hear whether or not you succeed in installing it on your
Raspberry.

Regards,
Auke