Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Luise Marion Frenkel
Hello,

In my Debian like Linux (actually Kurumin) installing lilypond works
fine, without complaints, but I cannot use it because my system still
finds some old version (2.4.0).

I have been using lilypond since 1.4.12 or alike, and in this system
of mine it has been quite complicated to have an up to date lilypond
without compiling it myself, which I never managed, for lack of libs.

The installation of Lilypond 2.4.0 never worked, and I endend up
installing the lilypond-snapshot package for 2.4.1, which works fine
(except emacs mode, which the attempts to install 2.7 have confused). I
have directories of old lilypond versions (2.2 and 2.4) scattered
through my system which did not give any problem until now, and were not
dealt with the uninstalling procedures.

Even if I try to install in a user, it finds the lily 2.4.0.

Can someone help me to perhaps rename to lilypond-2.8.1 the Lilypond
comand for the recent package, or to get rid of the old linking or path?

I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
working lilypond, which has become essential to me.

Lilypond has improved extraordinarily since 1.4 and even since 2.4 and I
look forward to use the improved figured bass.

TIA,

Luise Marion Frenkel.

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Cameron Horsburgh
Luise Marion Frenkel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my Debian like Linux (actually Kurumin) installing lilypond works
> fine, without complaints, but I cannot use it because my system still
> finds some old version (2.4.0).
>
> I have been using lilypond since 1.4.12 or alike, and in this system
> of mine it has been quite complicated to have an up to date lilypond
> without compiling it myself, which I never managed, for lack of libs.
>
> The installation of Lilypond 2.4.0 never worked, and I endend up
> installing the lilypond-snapshot package for 2.4.1, which works fine
> (except emacs mode, which the attempts to install 2.7 have confused). I
> have directories of old lilypond versions (2.2 and 2.4) scattered
> through my system which did not give any problem until now, and were not
> dealt with the uninstalling procedures.
>
> Even if I try to install in a user, it finds the lily 2.4.0.
>
> Can someone help me to perhaps rename to lilypond-2.8.1 the Lilypond
> comand for the recent package, or to get rid of the old linking or path?
>
> I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
> working lilypond, which has become essential to me.
>
> Lilypond has improved extraordinarily since 1.4 and even since 2.4 and I
> look forward to use the improved figured bass.
>
> TIA,
>
> Luise Marion Frenkel.

How have you installed LilyPond in the past? With apt-get or some other way?

If you've used apt-get (or some other package manager), that would be
the best way to remove it now. I presume that's not possible, so you
might have to do something a little more drastic. (If you accidentally
remove lilypond-snapshot are you able to reinstall it?)

Try 'which -a lilypond'. That will show you the location of every
LilyPond executable in your $PATH. Getting rid of those--or modifying
your $PATH--may be your best option.

Do you access LilyPond from the command line or via emacs?

Cam

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Luise Marion Frenkel

Thank you so much! Now it works, very well!

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> How have you installed LilyPond in the past? With apt-get or some other way?

Yes, with apt-get, usually from packages made by some Lilypond
contributors.

> If you've used apt-get (or some other package manager), that would be
> the best way to remove it now. I presume that's not possible, so you
> might have to do something a little more drastic. (If you accidentally
> remove lilypond-snapshot are you able to reinstall it?)

apt-get did not work, I suppose because 2.4.0 never installed
completely. I have been trying to do drastic things which made things
worse. No, lilypond-snapshots are no longer available, they stopped
shortly after 2.4.2 because of Debian packaging problems of Lilypond,
and as far as I understood from one e-mail of Laura Conrad, it is no
longer possible to install 2.4 in Debian because of old libs.

> Try 'which -a lilypond'. That will show you the location of every
> LilyPond executable in your $PATH. Getting rid of those--or modifying
> your $PATH--may be your best option.

Thanks. It helped a lot. As you can see I am a very inexperient user of
Linux, although I am happy to have come that far without any advisors.
It would be easier if I had not to be careful not to break anything
with the system the whole family uses.

I got rid of the two files

root@luise:~# which -a lilypond
/usr/bin/lilypond
/usr/local/bin/lilypond

and installing again was enough.

I just don't know why in a root shell I get

root@luise:~# lilypond -v
bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory

but it does not matter.

> Do you access LilyPond from the command line or via emacs?

Now again via emacs. It was horrible these last months, to have to use
command line and have all files being dumped into home, having to move
them back to their directories.

I am thrilled to be able to use 2.8 now.

Thank you so very much.

Luise.

Luise Marion Frenkel wrote:

> Thank you so much! Now it works, very well!
>
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>

>> How have you installed LilyPond in the past? With apt-get or some other way?
>
> Yes, with apt-get, usually from packages made by some Lilypond
> contributors.
>
>> If you've used apt-get (or some other package manager), that would be
>> the best way to remove it now. I presume that's not possible, so you
>> might have to do something a little more drastic. (If you accidentally
>> remove lilypond-snapshot are you able to reinstall it?)
>
> apt-get did not work, I suppose because 2.4.0 never installed
> completely. I have been trying to do drastic things which made things
> worse. No, lilypond-snapshots are no longer available, they stopped
> shortly after 2.4.2 because of Debian packaging problems of Lilypond,
> and as far as I understood from one e-mail of Laura Conrad, it is no
> longer possible to install 2.4 in Debian because of old libs.
>
>> Try 'which -a lilypond'. That will show you the location of every
>> LilyPond executable in your $PATH. Getting rid of those--or modifying
>> your $PATH--may be your best option.
>
> Thanks. It helped a lot. As you can see I am a very inexperient user of
> Linux, although I am happy to have come that far without any advisors.
> It would be easier if I had not to be careful not to break anything
> with the system the whole family uses.
>
> I got rid of the two files
>
> root@luise:~# which -a lilypond
> /usr/bin/lilypond
> /usr/local/bin/lilypond
>
> and installing again was enough.
>
> I just don't know why in a root shell I get
>
> root@luise:~# lilypond -v
> bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory
>
> but it does not matter.
>
>> Do you access LilyPond from the command line or via emacs?
>
> Now again via emacs. It was horrible these last months, to have to use
> command line and have all files being dumped into home, having to move
> them back to their directories.
>
> I am thrilled to be able to use 2.8 now.
>
> Thank you so very much.
>
> Luise.

Hmm, it seems your system needs a bit of a clean! I'm glad to see it's
working though.

If you were having trouble with the lilypond executable, you may also
run into the same trouble with the other scripts, such as convert-ly and
lilypond-book. Try, for example, 'convert-ly --version' and 'which -a
convert-ly' and see what happens. If you need any advice, please ask!

Cameron

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> > I just don't know why in a root shell I get
> >
> > root@luise:~# lilypond -v
> > bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory
> >
> > but it does not matter.
> >
> Hmm, it seems your system needs a bit of a clean! I'm glad to see it's
> working though.
>
> If you were having trouble with the lilypond executable, you may also
> run into the same trouble with the other scripts, such as convert-ly and
> lilypond-book. Try, for example, 'convert-ly --version' and 'which -a
> convert-ly' and see what happens. If you need any advice, please ask!

I think I need a new Linux, but I cannot change this on my own. To have
a Debian based Linux that mixed from the beginning stable and testing
proved to be a very bad idea. I try to keep it as clean as possible with
little success.

You were right, and I had remaining convert-ly, lilypond-book and
lilypond-latex from 2.4.0. Removing the old ones and installing again
2.8.1 I now have:
convert-ly : works only in a root shell, where it is version 2.8.1 and
works as expected. In a user shell it gives:
jfrenkel@luise:~$ convert-ly --version
bash: /usr/bin/convert-ly: No such file or directory

lilypond-book : works in root shell and user shell, version 2.8.1

lilypond: works in user shell but not in root shell, where it gives the
same error as with convert-ly

Well, I can live with this very well, and these problems do not seem
Lilypond related.

I am happy for coming so far, and thank you for it.

Luise.

> Cameron

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

josiah boothby
Honestly, I think this is the problem:

> I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
> working lilypond, which has become essential to me.

My advice would be to uninstall this with apt-get, and try the GUB
installer. Deleting the binaries doesn't uninstall the program.

Josiah

On 4/12/06, Luise Marion Frenkel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>
> > > I just don't know why in a root shell I get
> > >
> > > root@luise:~# lilypond -v
> > > bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > but it does not matter.
> > >
> > Hmm, it seems your system needs a bit of a clean! I'm glad to see it's
> > working though.
> >
> > If you were having trouble with the lilypond executable, you may also
> > run into the same trouble with the other scripts, such as convert-ly and
> > lilypond-book. Try, for example, 'convert-ly --version' and 'which -a
> > convert-ly' and see what happens. If you need any advice, please ask!
>
> I think I need a new Linux, but I cannot change this on my own. To have
> a Debian based Linux that mixed from the beginning stable and testing
> proved to be a very bad idea. I try to keep it as clean as possible with
> little success.
>
> You were right, and I had remaining convert-ly, lilypond-book and
> lilypond-latex from 2.4.0. Removing the old ones and installing again
> 2.8.1 I now have:
> convert-ly : works only in a root shell, where it is version 2.8.1 and
> works as expected. In a user shell it gives:
> jfrenkel@luise:~$ convert-ly --version
> bash: /usr/bin/convert-ly: No such file or directory
>
> lilypond-book : works in root shell and user shell, version 2.8.1
>
> lilypond: works in user shell but not in root shell, where it gives the
> same error as with convert-ly
>
> Well, I can live with this very well, and these problems do not seem
> Lilypond related.
>
> I am happy for coming so far, and thank you for it.
>
> Luise.
>

> > Cameron

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Mats Bengtsson-4
Quoting josiah boothby <[hidden email]>:

> Honestly, I think this is the problem:
>
>> I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
>> working lilypond, which has become essential to me.
>
> My advice would be to uninstall this with apt-get, and try the GUB
> installer. Deleting the binaries doesn't uninstall the program.

As long as you make sure that the new LilyPond installation is
placed in a directory that is before the old installation in the $PATH
environment variable, there should be no need to remove
the old version.

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

josiah boothby
so, for instance /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin if the new is in
/usr/local/bin and the old is in /usr/bin?

but with the old binaries deleted, is the old installation still salvageable?

On 4/12/06, Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting josiah boothby <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Honestly, I think this is the problem:
> >
> >> I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
> >> working lilypond, which has become essential to me.
> >
> > My advice would be to uninstall this with apt-get, and try the GUB
> > installer. Deleting the binaries doesn't uninstall the program.
>

> As long as you make sure that the new LilyPond installation is
> placed in a directory that is before the old installation in the $PATH
> environment variable, there should be no need to remove
> the old version.
>
>   /Mats

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Pedro Kröger

> convert-ly : works only in a root shell, where it is version 2.8.1 and
> works as expected. In a user shell it gives:
> jfrenkel@luise:~$ convert-ly --version
> bash: /usr/bin/convert-ly: No such file or directory
>
> lilypond-book : works in root shell and user shell, version 2.8.1
>
> lilypond: works in user shell but not in root shell, where it gives the
> same error as with convert-ly

did you install lilypond 2.8 as root or regular user? From your other
posts I suppose you have cleaned up your system a bit, but it seems to
be still a little "dirty". I advise you to remove all instances of
lilypond you can find, examples:

rm -rf /usr/local/share/lilypond/
rm -rf /usr/bin/lilypond*
rm -rf /usr/bin/convert-ly*
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/lilypond*
rm -rf /usr/local/bin/convert-ly*
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/lilypond/

then, close the shell you're using, open a new one and try to run
lilypond, convert-ly, and lilypond-book. all of them should return
something like:

-/bin/bash: lilypond: command not found

also, check to see if you have lilypond installed in your home dir.
check for ~/bin/lilypond*

*then*, re-install lilypond 2.8 as root.

BTW, kurumin is not a strong system for a home user. it's ok to run from
a CD as a demo, but a nightmare to maintain. If you are looking for a
debian-based distribution, I recomend ubuntu. It has great hardware
support, it's easy to install, and works in portuguese as well.

Cheers,

Pedro

Luise Marion Frenkel wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>
>>> I just don't know why in a root shell I get
>>>
>>> root@luise:~# lilypond -v
>>> bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> but it does not matter.
>>>
>> Hmm, it seems your system needs a bit of a clean! I'm glad to see it's
>> working though.
>>
>> If you were having trouble with the lilypond executable, you may also
>> run into the same trouble with the other scripts, such as convert-ly and
>> lilypond-book. Try, for example, 'convert-ly --version' and 'which -a
>> convert-ly' and see what happens. If you need any advice, please ask!
>
> I think I need a new Linux, but I cannot change this on my own. To have
> a Debian based Linux that mixed from the beginning stable and testing
> proved to be a very bad idea. I try to keep it as clean as possible with
> little success.
>
> You were right, and I had remaining convert-ly, lilypond-book and
> lilypond-latex from 2.4.0. Removing the old ones and installing again
> 2.8.1 I now have:
> convert-ly : works only in a root shell, where it is version 2.8.1 and
> works as expected. In a user shell it gives:
> jfrenkel@luise:~$ convert-ly --version
> bash: /usr/bin/convert-ly: No such file or directory
>
> lilypond-book : works in root shell and user shell, version 2.8.1
>
> lilypond: works in user shell but not in root shell, where it gives the
> same error as with convert-ly
>
> Well, I can live with this very well, and these problems do not seem
> Lilypond related.
>
> I am happy for coming so far, and thank you for it.
>
> Luise.
>
>> Cameron

Ah. Try running the installation again. The files you removed were
probably links to the new executables. Try running 'uninstall-lilypond'
and then run the installer again. Everything should work properly.

I don't understand why root could run these but an ordinary user can't.
What's the output of this command (run as both root and ordinary user):

echo $PATH

Cam

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Chris Leyon

This error can appear if a dynamic library cannot be found or loaded.
On my system, lilypond is a shell-script wrapper which sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then execs a binary.  Check that the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is correct and also examine the output of ldd on the
binary.

Chris

Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

Luise Marion Frenkel
Hello,

Lilypond now works very well, both 2.8.1 and 2.4.1, since I had not to
delete any lilypond-snapshot to install the 2.8.1. I just had to
uninstall once more and install again as Cameron Horsburgh suggested.
Below are just some answers to Pedro Kröger.

Thank you all so much.

Luise

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Pedro Kröger wrote:

> > convert-ly : works only in a root shell, where it is version 2.8.1 and
> > works as expected. In a user shell it gives:
> > jfrenkel@luise:~$ convert-ly --version
> > bash: /usr/bin/convert-ly: No such file or directory
> >
> > lilypond-book : works in root shell and user shell, version 2.8.1
> >
> > lilypond: works in user shell but not in root shell, where it gives the
> > same error as with convert-ly
>
> did you install lilypond 2.8 as root or regular user? From your other
> posts I suppose you have cleaned up your system a bit, but it seems to
> be still a little "dirty". I advise you to remove all instances of
> lilypond you can find, examples:
>
> rm -rf /usr/local/share/lilypond/
> rm -rf /usr/bin/lilypond*
> rm -rf /usr/bin/convert-ly*
> rm -rf /usr/local/bin/lilypond*
> rm -rf /usr/local/bin/convert-ly*
> rm -rf /usr/local/lib/lilypond/
>
> then, close the shell you're using, open a new one and try to run
> lilypond, convert-ly, and lilypond-book. all of them should return
> something like:
>
> -/bin/bash: lilypond: command not found
>
> also, check to see if you have lilypond installed in your home dir.
> check for ~/bin/lilypond*
>
> *then*, re-install lilypond 2.8 as root.

I did not remove them since, but I certified myself of what was in each:

/usr/local/share/lilypond/      :nothing
/usr/bin/lilypond*              :only snapshot
/usr/bin/convert-ly*            :only snapshot
/usr/local/bin/lilypond*        :only 2.8.1
/usr/local/bin/convert-ly*      :only 2.8.1
/usr/local/lib/lilypond/        :nothing

> BTW, kurumin is not a strong system for a home user. it's ok to run from
> a CD as a demo, but a nightmare to maintain. If you are looking for a
> debian-based distribution, I recomend ubuntu. It has great hardware
> support, it's easy to install, and works in portuguese as well.

It is my fathers computer and he is happy he can read e-mails with it.
Kurumin was not my choice, but of some friends of his who thought
it was a nice simple idea. I think this Kurumin release which mixed
stable and unstable Debian is particularly hard to mantain, and I am
just waiting an occasion to tell my father that it is no longer possible
to kep it. Too bad reading e-mails requires so little! The "works in
portuguese" is surely the least thing I will be looking for in the next
one, for I dislike the language confusion on menu and shortcuts.

Greetings,

Luise.