Incomplete tie at line break

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Incomplete tie at line break

David Sumbler
My subject line only partially describes the problem.

I find that a tie is not shown after a line-break if the following
conditions are all true:
1. There is a line-break (as stated)
2. There is a new time signature
3. There is a MetronomeMark
4. The staff concerned has \consists Metronome_mark_engraver

If either the MetronomeMark or the TimeSignature is omitted, the tie
gets printed.

This problem has arisen in a full score, where it is customary practice
to have tempo markings printed over the first violins staff as well as
at the top of the score.  My first violins are missing half a tie!

The following illustrates the problem.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\paper { indent = 0 ragged-right = ##t }

global = { \time 3/4 s2.
           \break
           \time 2/4 \tempo "Allegro" s2 }

<<
  \new Staff
  <<\global
    { R2. R2 }
  >>
  \new Staff \with { \consists Metronome_mark_engraver }
  <<\global
    { r2 f'4~ f'2 }
  >>
>>
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

This seems to be a bug.  What would be the simplest way to get around
it?

David



_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incomplete tie at line break

Thomas Morley-2
Am Mo., 5. Nov. 2018 um 13:24 Uhr schrieb David Sumbler <[hidden email]>:

>
> My subject line only partially describes the problem.
>
> I find that a tie is not shown after a line-break if the following
> conditions are all true:
> 1. There is a line-break (as stated)
> 2. There is a new time signature
> 3. There is a MetronomeMark
> 4. The staff concerned has \consists Metronome_mark_engraver
>
> If either the MetronomeMark or the TimeSignature is omitted, the tie
> gets printed.
>
> This problem has arisen in a full score, where it is customary practice
> to have tempo markings printed over the first violins staff as well as
> at the top of the score.  My first violins are missing half a tie!
>
> The following illustrates the problem.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> \paper { indent = 0 ragged-right = ##t }
>
> global = { \time 3/4 s2.
>            \break
>            \time 2/4 \tempo "Allegro" s2 }
>
> <<
>   \new Staff
>   <<\global
>     { R2. R2 }
>   >>
>   \new Staff \with { \consists Metronome_mark_engraver }
>   <<\global
>     { r2 f'4~ f'2 }
>   >>
> >>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> This seems to be a bug.  What would be the simplest way to get around
> it?
>
> David

Hi David,

clearly a bug. I reported it here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2018-11/msg00000.html
together with some workarounds.

Thanks,
  Harm

_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incomplete tie at line break

David Sumbler

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>
To: David Sumbler <[hidden email]>
CC: lilypond-user <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Incomplete tie at line break
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 23:17:43 +0100

Am Mo., 5. Nov. 2018 um 13:24 Uhr schrieb David Sumbler <
[hidden email]>:

>
> My subject line only partially describes the problem.
>
> I find that a tie is not shown after a line-break if the following
> conditions are all true:
> 1. There is a line-break (as stated)
> 2. There is a new time signature
> 3. There is a MetronomeMark
> 4. The staff concerned has \consists Metronome_mark_engraver
>
> If either the MetronomeMark or the TimeSignature is omitted, the tie
> gets printed.
>
> This problem has arisen in a full score, where it is customary
> practice
> to have tempo markings printed over the first violins staff as well
> as
> at the top of the score.  My first violins are missing half a tie!
>
> The following illustrates the problem.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> \paper { indent = 0 ragged-right = ##t }
>
> global = { \time 3/4 s2.
>            \break
>            \time 2/4 \tempo "Allegro" s2 }
>
> <<
>   \new Staff
>   <<\global
>     { R2. R2 }
>   >>
>   \new Staff \with { \consists Metronome_mark_engraver }
>   <<\global
>     { r2 f'4~ f'2 }
>   >>
> > >
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> This seems to be a bug.  What would be the simplest way to get around
> it?
>
> David

Hi David,

clearly a bug. I reported it here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2018-11/msg00000.html
together with some workarounds.

Thanks,
  Harm

***

Using your suggestion of increasing the line-thickness in my actual
score, I could see that the second part of the broken tie was, in fact,
being printed - but it appeared as a dot displaced a considerable
distance to the right of the relevant note.

I used \shape to adjust the tie: an excellent solution, since broken
slurs and ties often need reshaping in any case.  It's one of the very
few things that Lilypond, left to itself, doesn't handle well.

Thank you very much for your response.

David


_______________________________________________
lilypond-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user