Idea for sponsoring enhancements

Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
I'm a newbie but I just thought of an idea for sponsoring enhancements, shoot me down if it's no good, (it would not be the first time I've ever had a bad idea).

Why not start a "child mailing list" here called "sponsorship pledges" or something like that.  Each thread represents an enhancement request that someone is willing to sponsor but maybe not for the full price.  Other people can open that thread and "throw in" 10 bucks, or rubles, or euros, etc. basically "pledging" that they like the enhancement too and are willing to contribute.  When the "money bucket" reaches an adequate sum, the paypal pledges are all "called in", and the financial transactions made.  Then the enhancement gets worked on and the developers divy up the booty themselves.  People would be expected to honor their pledges once the pot is filled, but good excuses are ok like job loss etc.

I'm a newbie to gnu, so maybe this is the way it works already and I'm making a fool of myself;)  But at least a list of desied enhancements that people can contribute to would be nice.

The only requirement to post is that you ARE pledging money, by either starting a new thread or adding a pledge to an existing thread for as little as 5 euro/dollars if thats all you have.  I'm sure people have "in common requests" for cost sharing.

Re: Idea for sponsoring enhancements

Graham Percival-2

On 6-Apr-06, at 10:59 AM, Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:

> Why not start a "child mailing list" here called "sponsorship pledges"
> or
> something like that.

If we get enough pledges that we need to set up a system like this,
great.  :)

You may not have noticed -- on the "sponsored features" page, we
already track some pledges.  There's at least one feature that has
somebody pledging 20 EUR towards the total.

Re: Idea for sponsoring enhancements

Pedro Kröger
"Rick Hansen (aka RickH)" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Why not start a "child mailing list" here called "sponsorship pledges" or
> something like that.

so far we've been using the users list for that. The good thing is that
casual users can see the "sponsorship movement" and see that they can
participate. OTOH, if the pledges start to get numerous, a separated
list could work.

anyway, don't forget that lilypond is not only about new features, there
are a number of bugs to be fixed, code to be re-written (refactored) and
so on, so please, consider to slip a casual donation now and then :-)

Cheers,

Pedro