I'm to teach LilyPond officially again

Francisco Vila
Hello all,

Some time ago I was teaching LilyPond in a Conservatoire, then stopped
doing so, now I'm doing it again! The course is October to June and it's
optional and open to all four levels of High Music Education.

I'm delighted because I was already missing giving lectures to groups. I
plan to keep all as practice-oriented as possible with a minimum of
theoretical issues beyond what's strictly necessary to understand some
issues.

I have plenty of teaching material, including my 30 weekly lessons plus
lesson zero.

"Lesson Zero" is \\\\{}{}''''~~~ %%%% in a Spanish keyboard, I think
once achieved that, all else is easy :-)

I'll use Frescobaldi, lilybin, OLy for OOo, and more. Students will also
learn to enter LP music in wikipedia.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com

Re: I'm to teach LilyPond officially again

tisimst
Hi, Francisco!

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Francisco Vila [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

Some time ago I was teaching LilyPond in a Conservatoire, then stopped
doing so, now I'm doing it again! The course is October to June and it's
optional and open to all four levels of High Music Education.

I'm delighted because I was already missing giving lectures to groups. I
plan to keep all as practice-oriented as possible with a minimum of
theoretical issues beyond what's strictly necessary to understand some
issues.

I have plenty of teaching material, including my 30 weekly lessons plus
lesson zero.

"Lesson Zero" is \\\\{}{}''''~~~ %%%% in a Spanish keyboard, I think
once achieved that, all else is easy :-)

I'll use Frescobaldi, lilybin, OLy for OOo, and more. Students will also
learn to enter LP music in wikipedia.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Congrats! That's very exciting news. How well has this course been received/attended? Do the students feel like they come out of it having learned something useful?

Best,
Abraham

Re: I'm to teach LilyPond officially again

Michael Rivers
I'm jealous -- that sounds like so much fun!

Let us know how it goes.

Michael

El 19/06/17 a las 17:15, tisimst escribió:

> Hi, Francisco!
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Francisco Vila [via Lilypond] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Some time ago I was teaching LilyPond in a Conservatoire, then stopped
>> doing so, now I'm doing it again! The course is October to June and it's
>> optional and open to all four levels of High Music Education.
>>
>> I'm delighted because I was already missing giving lectures to groups. I
>> plan to keep all as practice-oriented as possible with a minimum of
>> theoretical issues beyond what's strictly necessary to understand some
>> issues.
>>
>> I have plenty of teaching material, including my 30 weekly lessons plus
>> lesson zero.
>>
>> "Lesson Zero" is \\\\{}{}''''~~~ %%%% in a Spanish keyboard, I think
>> once achieved that, all else is easy :-)
>>
>> I'll use Frescobaldi, lilybin, OLy for OOo, and more. Students will also
>> learn to enter LP music in wikipedia.
>>
>> Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
> Congrats! That's very exciting news. How well has this course been
> received/attended? Do the students feel like they come out of it having
> learned something useful?
>
> Best,
> Abraham

Well, back then it was a successful course, with IIRW 15 to 20 students.
It's fun because the material is made of short, well-known excerpts.
Nowadays it is going to be much smoother because Frescobaldi exists and
it's mature. Those first editions, years ago, all was Windows Notepad
and jEdit with lilypondtool.
I took the opportunity of teaching free software issues, copyleft
licenses and all that. Just imagine it in a Windows-only ecosystem;
today there is much more Libreoffice and Firefox, for example, but 99,9%
still use pirated Finale/Sibelius for music.
All in all, things are going to be somewhat different (and I have more
experience now, as well).

From the POV of the students themselves, the most outstanding aspect is
print quality of LilyPond which tends to justify (in part, at least) all
the hassle with text-orientness.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com

Re: I'm to teach LilyPond officially again

trevordixon
As the maintainer of LilyBin, I'll be interested in knowing if you
encounter any issues, especially with reliability of the service! Last
year, I and another developer did some work to get LilyBin running on AWS
Lambda especially to handle the load of classroom situations where many
people use are compiling concurrently. Let me know how it goes!