How to write chords of different durations?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to write chords of different durations?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi;

  Another beginner question here.

  I'm still learning the basics of lLilypond engraving.

  I'm using a pre-existing piece of music as an engraving exercise
that involves piano and voice.

  When either (or both) of the piano parts have chords of the same
duration, this is fairly simple for me to understand.  However, then
either (or both) the left hand or right hand chord splits into
different durations, I am puzzled how to engrave this.

  Here is one example of what I'm trying to engrave:

the right hand of one particular measure has "bf2." and "d2 f8 bf"
(this is 3/4 time).

How to engrave this? Do I need distinct voices for this?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to write chords of different durations?

Robin Bannister-2
Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>
> the right hand of one particular measure has "bf2." and "d2 f8 bf"
> (this is 3/4 time).
>
> How to engrave this? Do I need distinct voices for this?

Yes.
These voices must be made to run simultaneously. Use << >> brackets.
That way, the durations in one voice don't interfere with the durations
in the other voice.

This is shown in the Notation Reference
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#-Explicitly-instantiating-voices
but that example doesn't have any chords.


I've attached a snippet which combines single notes and chords in
different situations.


Cheers,
Robin


montanara.ly (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to write chords of different durations?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi Robin;

  Thank you so much for your reply.

  I've been reading your attached example, thinking about it and
experimenting with it ever since.

  I now have a basic understanding of two ways to obtain chords of
different duration (your method and partcombine).

  The result so far is that I can have the lyrics and piano portions
engraved successfully if I ignore the chords of different durations.
and I can get the piano portions containing chords of different
durations without the lyrics.

  So far I have not figured out how to get both the lyrics and the
chords of different durations in the same piece.

  I'm sure that the answer is staring me in the face, right under my
nose, but it doesn't sink in yet.

  I'm sure that the successful result will be of making the simplest
possible situation work and then build that into my existing, more
complicated, work.

  There is so much yet to learn and master!

Ken

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 2:12 PM Robin Bannister <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> >
> > the right hand of one particular measure has "bf2." and "d2 f8 bf"
> > (this is 3/4 time).
> >
> > How to engrave this? Do I need distinct voices for this?
>
> Yes.
> These voices must be made to run simultaneously. Use << >> brackets.
> That way, the durations in one voice don't interfere with the durations
> in the other voice.
>
> This is shown in the Notation Reference
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#-Explicitly-instantiating-voices
> but that example doesn't have any chords.
>
>
> I've attached a snippet which combines single notes and chords in
> different situations.
>
>
> Cheers,
> Robin
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to write chords of different durations?

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello Ken,

Can you post a picture showing what you’re after?

JM

> Le 21 août 2020 à 23:48, Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Robin;
>
>  Thank you so much for your reply.
>
>  I've been reading your attached example, thinking about it and
> experimenting with it ever since.
>
>  I now have a basic understanding of two ways to obtain chords of
> different duration (your method and partcombine).
>
>  The result so far is that I can have the lyrics and piano portions
> engraved successfully if I ignore the chords of different durations.
> and I can get the piano portions containing chords of different
> durations without the lyrics.
>
>  So far I have not figured out how to get both the lyrics and the
> chords of different durations in the same piece.
>
>  I'm sure that the answer is staring me in the face, right under my
> nose, but it doesn't sink in yet.
>
>  I'm sure that the successful result will be of making the simplest
> possible situation work and then build that into my existing, more
> complicated, work.
>
>  There is so much yet to learn and master!
>
> Ken
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 2:12 PM Robin Bannister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>>>
>>> the right hand of one particular measure has "bf2." and "d2 f8 bf"
>>> (this is 3/4 time).
>>>
>>> How to engrave this? Do I need distinct voices for this?
>>
>> Yes.
>> These voices must be made to run simultaneously. Use << >> brackets.
>> That way, the durations in one voice don't interfere with the durations
>> in the other voice.
>>
>> This is shown in the Notation Reference
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#-Explicitly-instantiating-voices
>> but that example doesn't have any chords.
>>
>>
>> I've attached a snippet which combines single notes and chords in
>> different situations.
>>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Robin
>>
>