How to 'unset" something

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
I'm sure this is easy but I can't even begin to figure
out a way to search it in the manual

I used \setEasyHeads for many of my students pieces but
I would like to stop that function mid-way through the
piece or even just a few measures into it.
What is the command for that?
Thank you.
Jay
--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton

Re: How to 'unset" something

Erik Sandberg
Citerar "Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence" <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sure this is easy but I can't even begin to figure
> out a way to search it in the manual
>
> I used \setEasyHeads for many of my students pieces but
> I would like to stop that function mid-way through the
> piece or even just a few measures into it.
> What is the command for that?
> Thank you.

See the file ly/property-init.ly for hints (the command is defined there).

Erik

Re: How to 'unset" something

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
There are days that I feel stupider than this I'm sure
but...
First finding this file was nearly impossible the
website docs are misleading. (Graham there is no
documentation 'index' sidebar for example)
Then when I did get to something describing
property-init.ly it speaks to items that have multiple
\'s and so how to 'revert' from a \set is definitely
unclear (at least to me).
So I looked at note head property to see if I could set
a default in the middle of a piece and that produced an
error message ignoring the command.
So the bit I left out
XP
2.6.4
Sorry in advance for being a dullard.
Jay

On Sunday 05 March 2006 03.04, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

> > See the file ly/property-init.ly for hints (the command is defined
> > there).

> First finding this file was nearly impossible the
> website docs are misleading.

It's not on the web, it's in your local installation of lilypond (in some data
dir). The exact location depends on your OS, but you'll probably find it if
you scan your entire file system.

--
Erik

Re: How to 'unset" something

Carrick Patterson
Including the Macintosh? If it's there, I can't find it with the most elaborate
file-searching method I own.

Quoting Erik Sandberg <[hidden email]>:

> On Sunday 05 March 2006 03.04, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:
>
> > > See the file ly/property-init.ly for hints (the command is defined
> > > there).
>
> > First finding this file was nearly impossible the
> > website docs are misleading.
>
> It's not on the web, it's in your local installation of lilypond (in some
> data
> dir). The exact location depends on your OS, but you'll probably find it if
> you scan your entire file system.
>
> --
> Erik

Carrick Patterson
Little Rock AR

Re: How to 'unset" something

Trevor Bača-2
On 3/5/06, Carrick Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Including the Macintosh? If it's there, I can't find it with the most elaborate
> file-searching method I own.

[Response at bottom; please bottom-quote.]

> Quoting Erik Sandberg <[hidden email]>:

> > > First finding this file was nearly impossible the
> > > website docs are misleading.
> >
> > It's not on the web, it's in your local installation of lilypond (in some
> > data
> > dir). The exact location depends on your OS, but you'll probably find it if
> > you scan your entire file system.
Hi Carrick,

Try

  /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/2.7.35/ly/property-init.ly

If you're using spotlight, spotlight may (or may not) refuse to search
application directories like /Applications/LilyPond.app. (spotlight
behaves this way for me under  10.4.4, for example) ... and,
entertainingly, while non-Mac users usually know that spotlight exists
and what it does, they usually don't know that spotlight specifically
doesn't search certain important places.

In future, you have two good choices for finding important things in
the lilypond resources under OS X:

1. open a terminal window and read about the UNIX find command with

  man find

Then you can do stuff like

  cd /Applications/LilyPond.app
  find . -name 'property-init.ly'

2. Download the lilypond sourcecode from the downloads page on the
site and put the resulting lilypond-2.7.x folder somewhere that you
can easily get to (your desktop or a favorite folder) and *then*
spotlight will very happily search *that* downloaded folder of source,
by passing the problem of not searching /Applications/LilyPond.app.

(A third option is to tell spotlight to search and index your
LilyPond.app folder, but I've never bothered so I'm not quite sure how
that would work.)

HTH.

--
Trevor Bača

Re: How to 'unset" something

Graham Percival-2

On 5-Mar-06, at 9:19 AM, Trevor Bača wrote:

> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/2.7.35/
> ly/property-init.ly

You can also get this by right-clicking on the Lilypond application and
selecting "show package contents".  That takes you to

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/
and you can use the normal finder from there.

>   cd /Applications/LilyPond.app
>   find . -name 'property-init.ly'

Better suggestion:
cd /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/

Whenever we make a comment about a lilypond file -- say,
ly/property-init.ly -- it will show up on your system as
{}/ly/property-init.ly, where {} is the directory above.

> Cheers,

Re: How to 'unset" something

Trevor Bača-2
On 3/5/06, Graham Percival <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5-Mar-06, at 9:19 AM, Trevor Bača wrote:
>

> > /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/2.7.35/
> > ly/property-init.ly
>
> You can also get this by right-clicking on the Lilypond application and
> selecting "show package contents".  That takes you to
>
> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/
> and you can use the normal finder from there.
>
> >   cd /Applications/LilyPond.app
> >   find . -name 'property-init.ly'
>
> Better suggestion:
> cd /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/
>
> Whenever we make a comment about a lilypond file -- say,
> ly/property-init.ly -- it will show up on your system as
> {}/ly/property-init.ly, where {} is the directory above.
Very true.

I remember that it took me a while to figure out. Maybe the exact
comments above could add to the docs as a small section called
"LilyPond File Organization"?

I was just looking through the manual to see where that section might
fit. A new section 5.8 or 10.8 might work ... but I'm not sure ...
maybe a new appendix is better?

(The only comparison point I have handy are the Mathematica docs,
which include a "Mathematica File Organization" section as appendix
A.8 out of A.13.)

Eventually something similar in structure to the ROADMAP textfile in
the sourceball -- but targetted like the user manual (ie, at regular
users rather than develoeprs) -- would probably be nice, since knowing
how to look through the installation resources is, as Carrick was
finding out, still very useful indeed :-)

--
Trevor Bača

Re: How to 'unset

emily atkins
After finding/examining the file in question
(I found it!) and reading all the posts/follow-ups I am still
completely unable to find a clear explanation of how to
unset these EasyHeads!  It seems such a simple thing
to do and much has been said about how
to find the source of the answer...
 However, having put effort into it and
having reached a dead end I am now searching
for someone willing to simply share a command that has
 worked in this case.  Many of my students are too good at
reading to have all the notes in easyNoteHead form,
 but not good enough to leave easy heads out
completely.

We love having lilypond, and all the student's parents
are urged to donate at least once (and then reminded
again at Christmas) in honor of  the contribution lily has
made to their kid's understanding of music.