How to insert a simple "rit."?

Kenneth Wolcott
Hi;

  Looks like I must be missing something obvious in the lilypond docs
(2.20.2)...

  How to insert a "rit."?

I saw the following in the "Hiding the extender line for text dynamics" snippet.

\relative c'' {
  \override DynamicTextSpanner.style = #'none
  \crescTextCresc
  c1\< | d | b | c\!
}

Obviously snippet pertains to dynamics; is there something similar for
tempo adjustments?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

Hwaen Ch'uqi
Greetings Ken,

Not exactly sure what you mean by "simple." I just insert a markup
where I wish the rit. to begin, as in

_\markup \italic "rit."

HTH,

Hwaen Ch'uqi

On 7/5/20, Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi;
>
>   Looks like I must be missing something obvious in the lilypond docs
> (2.20.2)...
>
>   How to insert a "rit."?
>
> I saw the following in the "Hiding the extender line for text dynamics"
> snippet.
>
> \relative c'' {
>   \override DynamicTextSpanner.style = #'none
>   \crescTextCresc
>   c1\< | d | b | c\!
> }
>
> Obviously snippet pertains to dynamics; is there something similar for
> tempo adjustments?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Wolcott

Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

Kenneth Wolcott
Thank you! It worked! I added "\bold".

Ken

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 8:00 PM Hwaen Ch'uqi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings Ken,
>
> Not exactly sure what you mean by "simple." I just insert a markup
> where I wish the rit. to begin, as in
>
> _\markup \italic "rit."
>
> HTH,
>
> Hwaen Ch'uqi
>

> On 7/5/20, Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> >   Looks like I must be missing something obvious in the lilypond docs
> > (2.20.2)...
> >
> >   How to insert a "rit."?
> >
> > I saw the following in the "Hiding the extender line for text dynamics"
> > snippet.
> >
> > \relative c'' {
> >   \override DynamicTextSpanner.style = #'none
> >   \crescTextCresc
> >   c1\< | d | b | c\!
> > }
> >
> > Obviously snippet pertains to dynamics; is there something similar for
> > tempo adjustments?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ken Wolcott

RE: How to insert a simple "rit."?

Mark Stephen Mrotek
Kenneth,

Exactly where do you want to insert the "rit."?
After the "cresc."?
If so, does this work?

\version "2.20.0"
\relative c'' {
    c1_\markup {\italic  "cresc. rit."} | d | b | c
}

Mark

Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

Lukas-Fabian Moser
Hi Kenneth,

>    Looks like I must be missing something obvious in the lilypond docs
> (2.20.2)...
>
>    How to insert a "rit."?

In some scores, "rit." and the like are typeset akin to "Allegro" and
other tempo markings; that would be

\version "2.21.0"

\relative {
   e'4 e e2
   e4 e e2
   \tempo "rit."
   e4 g c,4. d8
   \tempo "a tempo"
   e4 e8 e e4 e
}

Lukas

Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

David Rogers-7
Hello all

I certainly remember having this same question or confusion. The
fact that there is a specific \cresc led me to believe that there
ought to be a specific \rit as well. May I suggest that a new
Subsection 1.3.4 "Other expressive marks" be added to the Notation
manual, simply explaining that "rit." and friends don't need
individual commands, and should be dealt with as text markup, with
a link to Section 1.8?

"Rit." *IS* an "expressive mark" just as much as "cresc." is,
after all, and the fact that it isn't mentioned in Section 1.3
tends to make it look as if Lilypond just isn't capable of "rit."
- which of course seems strange. A person who's at the stage of
trying to find out how to put a "rit." into their score is
unlikely to know that they need to look in Section 1.8.

Thanks
David R

Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thank you! It worked! I added "\bold".
>
> Ken
>
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 8:00 PM Hwaen Ch'uqi
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings Ken,
>>
>> Not exactly sure what you mean by "simple." I just insert a
>> markup
>> where I wish the rit. to begin, as in
>>
>> _\markup \italic "rit."
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Hwaen Ch'uqi
>>

>> On 7/5/20, Kenneth Wolcott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi;
>> >
>> >   Looks like I must be missing something obvious in the
>> >   lilypond docs
>> > (2.20.2)...
>> >
>> >   How to insert a "rit."?
>> >
>> > I saw the following in the "Hiding the extender line for text
>> > dynamics"
>> > snippet.
>> >
>> > \relative c'' {
>> >   \override DynamicTextSpanner.style = #'none
>> >   \crescTextCresc
>> >   c1\< | d | b | c\!
>> > }
>> >
>> > Obviously snippet pertains to dynamics; is there something
>> > similar for
>> > tempo adjustments?

Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

David Kastrup
David Rogers <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello all
>
> I certainly remember having this same question or confusion. The fact
> that there is a specific \cresc led me to believe that there ought to
> be a specific \rit as well. May I suggest that a new Subsection 1.3.4
> "Other expressive marks" be added to the Notation manual, simply
> explaining that "rit." and friends don't need individual commands, and
> should be dealt with as text markup, with a link to Section 1.8?
>
> "Rit." *IS* an "expressive mark" just as much as "cresc." is, after
> all, and the fact that it isn't mentioned in Section 1.3 tends to make
> it look as if Lilypond just isn't capable of "rit." - which of course
> seems strange. A person who's at the stage of trying to find out how
> to put a "rit." into their score is unlikely to know that they need to
> look in Section 1.8.

Uh, \tempo "rit." ?

Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

Aaron Hill
On 2020-09-28 1:13 pm, David Kastrup wrote:

> David Rogers <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> I certainly remember having this same question or confusion. The fact
>> that there is a specific \cresc led me to believe that there ought to
>> be a specific \rit as well. May I suggest that a new Subsection 1.3.4
>> "Other expressive marks" be added to the Notation manual, simply
>> explaining that "rit." and friends don't need individual commands, and
>> should be dealt with as text markup, with a link to Section 1.8?
>>
>> "Rit." *IS* an "expressive mark" just as much as "cresc." is, after
>> all, and the fact that it isn't mentioned in Section 1.3 tends to make
>> it look as if Lilypond just isn't capable of "rit." - which of course
>> seems strange. A person who's at the stage of trying to find out how
>> to put a "rit." into their score is unlikely to know that they need to
>> look in Section 1.8.
>
> Uh, \tempo "rit." ?

One minor issue is that MetronomeMarks normally belong to the Score and
appear above all staves in a system.  Much of the keyboard music I have
prefer placing things like "rit." and "rall." between the hands.  As
such, I just use TextScripts to implement them.  Only in a few cases
have I bothered to instantiate a Dynamics context to vertically align
performance instructions.

I wonder if there is value in having something like \textTempo or
\dynamicTempo that work in a similar fashion to \tempo but produce
TextScripts and DynamicTexts, respectively.

-- Aaron Hill