How to code a glide?

John Burt
I'm sorry to say that I don't even know the proper term for what I am trying to do. I am setting some Georgian folksongs. Sometimes they end with a descending glide on the last note (like an engine running down). On the handwritten sheet music I have been using this is represented as a squiggly descending line after the last note. I'd like to put that in my score, but I have no idea how to code it. Does anyone have an idea?
John Burt

Re: How to code a glide?

Thomas Morley-2
Am Sa., 8. Feb. 2020 um 23:47 Uhr schrieb John Burt <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sorry to say that I don't even know the proper term for what I am trying to do. I am setting some Georgian folksongs. Sometimes they end with a descending glide on the last note (like an engine running down). On the handwritten sheet music I have been using this is represented as a squiggly descending line after the last note. I'd like to put that in my score, but I have no idea how to code it. Does anyone have an idea?
> John Burt

Look for bendAfter. Does it already help?

Cheers,
  Harm

RE: How to code a glide?

Mark Stephen Mrotek
Thomas,

How about a zig-zag glissando?
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines

Mark

Am Sa., 8. Feb. 2020 um 23:47 Uhr schrieb John Burt <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sorry to say that I don't even know the proper term for what I am trying to do. I am setting some Georgian folksongs. Sometimes they end with a descending glide on the last note (like an engine running down). On the handwritten sheet music I have been using this is represented as a squiggly descending line after the last note. I'd like to put that in my score, but I have no idea how to code it. Does anyone have an idea?
> John Burt

Look for bendAfter. Does it already help?

Cheers,
  Harm

RE: How to code a glide?

Mark Stephen Mrotek

John,

How about a zig-zag glissando?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines

(Scroll down a little)

Mark

I'm sorry to say that I don't even know the proper term for what I am trying to do. I am setting some Georgian folksongs. Sometimes they end with a descending glide on the last note (like an engine running down). On the handwritten sheet music I have been using this is represented as a squiggly descending line after the last note. I'd like to put that in my score, but I have no idea how to code it. Does anyone have an idea?

John Burt

Re: How to code a glide?

Gregory Hollands
I'm sorry to say that I don't even know the proper term for what I am trying to do. I am setting some Georgian folksongs. Sometimes they end with a descending glide on the last note (like an engine running down). On the handwritten sheet music I have been using this is represented as a squiggly descending line after the last note. I'd like to put that in my score, but I have no idea how to code it. Does anyone have an idea?
John Burt

Look at glissando.
Scroll down to find an example with the squiggly line.

-Greg

Re: How to code a glide?

John Burt
Yes, \bendAfter is just what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Thomas Morley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Sa., 8. Feb. 2020 um 23:47 Uhr schrieb John Burt <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sorry to say that I don't even know the proper term for what I am trying to do. I am setting some Georgian folksongs. Sometimes they end with a descending glide on the last note (like an engine running down). On the handwritten sheet music I have been using this is represented as a squiggly descending line after the last note. I'd like to put that in my score, but I have no idea how to code it. Does anyone have an idea?
> John Burt

Look for bendAfter. Does it already help?

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: How to code a glide?

Thomas Morley-2
Am So., 9. Feb. 2020 um 00:00 Uhr schrieb Mark Stephen Mrotek
<[hidden email]>:

> Thomas,
>
> How about a zig-zag glissando?
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

if bendAfter is not sufficient, a glissando would have been my next
suggestion, too. :)

Cheers,
  Harm