How does \fromproperty work?

Graham Percival
In the example below, \fromproperty appears to do nothing.  I see
how it is used in ly/titling-init.ly , and as far as I can tell, I'm
using
it in the same way below.  What's wrong with this example?

\version "2.7.3"
\header { piece = "foo" }
\markup {
   between
   \fromproperty #'header:title
   after

RE: How does \fromproperty work?

Sven Axelsson
> From: Graham Percival [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> In the example below, \fromproperty appears to do nothing.  I see
> how it is used in ly/titling-init.ly , and as far as I can tell, I'm
> using
> it in the same way below.  What's wrong with this example?
>

> \version "2.7.3"
> \header { piece = "foo" }
> \markup {
>    between
>    \fromproperty #'header:title
>    after
> }

Well, obviously in this example you don't have a title.
Try \fromproperty #'header:piece instead.

--
Sven Axelsson

On 29-Jul-05, at 11:28 PM, Sven Axelsson wrote:
> Well, obviously in this example you don't have a title.
> Try \fromproperty #'header:piece instead.

Oops; I was trying a bunch of things, and got mixed up when I was
making the smallest example to send here.  It still doesn't work
with the right names, though:

\header { piece = "foo" }
\markup {
   between
   \fromproperty #'header:piece
   after

RE: How does \fromproperty work?

Sven Axelsson
> From: Graham Percival [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> On 29-Jul-05, at 11:28 PM, Sven Axelsson wrote:
> > Well, obviously in this example you don't have a title.
> > Try \fromproperty #'header:piece instead.
>
> Oops; I was trying a bunch of things, and got mixed up when I was
> making the smallest example to send here.  It still doesn't work
> with the right names, though:

I guess the header properties are not available in all contexts.
\fromproperty certainly works if you use it in a bookTitleMarkup
or scoreTitleMarkup, but apparently not in free markups elsewhere.

This should probably be documented.

--
Sven Axelsson