Horizontalized scores

12

RE: Horizontalized scores

Chris Crossen
> Chris Crossen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The trick to getting the crisp horizontal and vertical lines while
> > still getting anti-aliased curves is the ghostscript option -
> dGraphicsAlphaBits.
> > When Lilypond produces a .png file it set this to 4. If you set it to
> > 1 instead, you get horizontal and vertical lines that aren't
anti-aliased.

> > I have attached two images showing the difference. crisp.png was
> > produced with -dGraphicsAlphaBits=1 and blurry.png was produced with
> > -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4.

> Tim Roberts:
> But did you notice that the stems in your PNG are not all the same
thickness?
> The G and A stems are 1 pixel, and the rest are 2 pixels.
> Is that an acceptable trade-off for you?
>
> --
The stem width differences aren't a problem for me. But, in an earlier post,
David Kastrup pointed out that the circles around string numbers are not
anti-aliased and are very jaggy.

I think I'll continue using GIMP to extract the images from PDFs.

Re: Horizontalized scores

Jim Long
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 02:13:57PM -0700, Chris Crossen wrote:

> I think I'll continue using GIMP to extract the images from PDFs.

If you're resigned to that technique, have you tried ImageMagick's
'convert' utility?  It can convert PDF to PNG/JPG/whatever you want,
and likely in a more automated/hands-off/scripted fashion than
GIMP, if that is desireable for your purposes.

Jim

RE: Horizontalized scores

Chris Crossen
> From: Jim Long [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 02:13:57PM -0700, Chris Crossen wrote:
> >
> > I think I'll continue using GIMP to extract the images from PDFs.
>
> If you're resigned to that technique, have you tried ImageMagick's
'convert'
> utility?  It can convert PDF to PNG/JPG/whatever you want, and likely in a
> more automated/hands-off/scripted fashion than GIMP, if that is desireable
> for your purposes.
>
> Jim

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried it. I couldn't find the right
combination of parameters to make the output look as good as what I get from
GIMP.

My process is automated. I am invoking GIMP programmatically and using a
scheme script (Script-Fu) to extract the PNG from the PDF.

Chris

Re: Horizontalized scores

Chris Crossen
> From: Jim Long [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 02:13:57PM -0700, Chris Crossen wrote:
> >
> > I think I'll continue using GIMP to extract the images from PDFs.
>
> If you're resigned to that technique, have you tried ImageMagick's
'convert'
> utility?  It can convert PDF to PNG/JPG/whatever you want, and likely
> in a more automated/hands-off/scripted fashion than GIMP, if that is
> desireable for your purposes.
>
> Jim

Thank you for the suggestion, Jim. I have tried it. I couldn't find the

Jim Long <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 02:13:57PM -0700, Chris Crossen wrote:
>>
>> I think I'll continue using GIMP to extract the images from PDFs.
>
> If you're resigned to that technique, have you tried ImageMagick's
> 'convert' utility?  It can convert PDF to PNG/JPG/whatever you want,
> and likely in a more automated/hands-off/scripted fashion than
> GIMP, if that is desireable for your purposes.

It's still Ghostscript that does the work here.

12