Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

Jun Tamura
Hello,

Is there an easy way to align a tempo marking on a full-measure rest at the beginning of the measure?  In the following example, the “rit.” and “Tempo I.” are aligned to the beginning of the measures on the score and the violin part but their horizontal placements on the cello part look somewhat strange.

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards.

Jun

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

violinMusic = \relative c' {
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." g a b c |
  \tempo "Tempo I." c b a g |
}

celloMusic = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." R1 |
  \tempo "Tempo I." R1

  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = Violin
    }
    \violinMusic
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = Cello
    }
    \celloMusic

  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = Violin
  }
  \violinMusic

  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = Cello
  }
  \celloMusic
}
%%%%

Re: Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

Jun Tamura
Hello,

After writing the message below, I realized that the “rit.” and “Tempo I.” on the cello part were aligned to where ordinary whole rests would be placed.I guess that if I can find a way to change the placement of a whole rest closer to the beginning of the measure, that would also change the position of the tempo markings.  Am I correct?

Best regards,

Jun

> 2020/09/26 15:27、Jun Tamura <[hidden email]>のメール:
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there an easy way to align a tempo marking on a full-measure rest at the beginning of the measure?  In the following example, the “rit.” and “Tempo I.” are aligned to the beginning of the measures on the score and the violin part but their horizontal placements on the cello part look somewhat strange.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and best regards.
>
> Jun
>
> %%%%
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> violinMusic = \relative c' {
>  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
>  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." g a b c |
>  \tempo "Tempo I." c b a g |
> }
>
> celloMusic = \relative c {
>  \clef bass
>  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
>  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." R1 |
>  \tempo "Tempo I." R1
> }
>
> \score {
>  \new StaffGroup <<
>    \new Staff \with {
>      instrumentName = Violin
>    }
>    \violinMusic
>    \new Staff \with {
>      instrumentName = Cello
>    }
>    \celloMusic
>>>
> }
>
> \score {
>  \new Staff \with {
>    instrumentName = Violin
>  }
>  \violinMusic
> }
>
> \score {
>  \new Staff \with {
>    instrumentName = Cello
>  }
>  \celloMusic
> }
> %%%%

Re: Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

Xavier Scheuer
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 08:27, Jun Tamura <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an easy way to align a tempo marking on a full-measure rest at the beginning of the measure?  In the following example, the “rit.” and “Tempo I.” are aligned to the beginning of the measures on the score and the violin part but their horizontal placements on the cello part look somewhat strange.

Hello,

Tempo markings are (correctly) aligned where a first note *would be*. To illustrate this look at your first example with the "Metronome_mark_engraver" in both staves.

violinMusic = \relative c' {
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." g a b c |
  \tempo "Tempo I." c b a g |
}

celloMusic = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." R1 |
  \tempo "Tempo I." R1
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Metronome_mark_engraver"
    \remove "Staff_collecting_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver"

  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = Violin
    } {
      \violinMusic
    }
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = Cello
    } {
      \celloMusic

Maybe you think the cello part looks strange because the measures with full measure rest are compressed horizontally. Does it look better for you with increased MMR length?

\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = Cello
  } {
    \celloMusic
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Voice
      \override MultiMeasureRest.minimum-length = #12

Xavier

Xavier Scheuer <[hidden email]>

Re: Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

Aaron Hill
On 2020-09-26 1:33 am, Xavier Scheuer wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 08:27, Jun Tamura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there an easy way to align a tempo marking on a full-measure rest
>> at
> the beginning of the measure?  In the following example, the “rit.” and
> “Tempo I.” are aligned to the beginning of the measures on the score
> and
> the violin part but their horizontal placements on the cello part look
> somewhat strange.
>
> Hello,
>
> Tempo markings are (correctly) aligned where a first note *would be*.
> illustrate this look at your first example with
> the "Metronome_mark_engraver" in both staves.
Another option is to enable the debug display of paper columns.  Add the
following to the top of your file:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

\layout {
   \context {
     \Score
     \override PaperColumn.color = #'(0.4 0.6 0.1)
     \override PaperColumn.stencil = #ly:paper-column::print
     \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.color = #'(0.7 0.2 0.5)
     \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.stencil = #ly:paper-column::print

% . . .
%%%%

(PaperColumns will be green, and NonMusicalPaperColumns will be purple.
The blue and red arrows visualize the ideal-distances and
minimum-distances properties.)

Attached is the output you should see.  MetronomeMarks will horizontally
align to an appropriate paper-column-interface.  Note that "rit." aligns
to PaperColumn #9 in all three systems.  However also note that the
spacing between NonMusicalPaperColumn #8 and PaperColumn #9 differ due
to the presence (or absence) of notes.

I have tried a few things but cannot reliably solve the issue of
reducing the "ideal-distance" between columns #8 and #9 when there is
just a MultiMeasureRest there.  Xavier's recommendation of adjusting
minimum-length seems to mainly affect the minimum-distance, making the
measure wider; but this does not move the MetronomeMark closer to the
BarLine.

You could simply \tweak extra-offset #'(-1 . 0) to shift the tempo
marking to the left.  Using tags would mean you could then conditionally
apply this shift only in the cases where you need it.  Consider:

%%%%
shiftTempoLeft =
   \tag shiftTempoLeft
   \tweak extra-offset #'(-1 . 0)
   \etc
% . . .
celloMusic = \relative c {
   \clef bass
   \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
   \shiftTempoLeft
   \tempo \markup \italic "rit." R1 |
   \shiftTempoLeft
   \tempo "Tempo I." R1
}
% . . .
\score {
   \new StaffGroup <<
     \new Staff \with {
       instrumentName = Violin
     }
     \violinMusic
     \new Staff \with {
       instrumentName = Cello
     }
     \removeWithTag #'(shiftTempoLeft)
     \celloMusic

}
% . . .
\score {
   \new Staff \with {
     instrumentName = Cello
   }
   \celloMusic
}
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill

tempo-alignment.cropped.png (169K) Download Attachment

Re: Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

Jun Tamura
Thank you, Aaron and Xavier.

I figured that I can obtain satisfactory result with the following:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

violinMusic = \relative c' {
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." g a b c |
  \tempo "Tempo I." c b a g |
}

celloMusic = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  <<
    {R1}
    {\tempo \markup \italic "rit." s4 s s s}

  <<
    {R1}
    {\tempo "Tempo I." s4 s s s}

  \new StaffGroup <<