Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Son_V
Hi all,
I'm a beginner in the use of LP; I usually make a score with MuseScore, then I export it to an .xml file and use "musicxml2ly" to get a .ly file and launch it on UbuntuStudio to call Frescobaldi, to have a better output.

The problems that I encounter are often due to the fact that I'm not English mother language, so I often can't find how to put in English questions that maybe I have problems to put even in Italian.

What I can't figure out is how to make the pentagrams that do not contain notes to be hidden. I've tried to use \RemoveEmptyStaves but I didn't get what I was looking for: the empty pentagrams are still there, I just got multiple rests to appear as single ones. It's really easy wit MuseScore to obtain what I want.

May someone help me to reach this result? Thanks.

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Mike Solomon

On Nov 3, 2013, at 3:28 PM, Son_V <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
I'm a beginner in the use of LP; I usually make a score with MuseScore, then
I export it to an .xml file and use "musicxml2ly" to get a .ly file and
launch it on UbuntuStudio to call Frescobaldi, to have a better output.

The problems that I encounter are often due to the fact that I'm not English
mother language, so I often can't find how to put in English questions that
maybe I have problems to put even in Italian.

What I can't figure out is how to make the pentagrams that do not contain
notes to be hidden. I've tried to use \RemoveEmptyStaves but I didn't get
what I was looking for: the empty pentagrams are still there, I just got
multiple rests to appear as single ones. It's really easy wit MuseScore to
obtain what I want.

May someone help me to reach this result? Thanks.

Dear Son_V,

Please send a tiny example (esempio minimo) showing the problem. For more on what this is, please see:

Cheers,
MS

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Federico Bruni
2013/11/3 Son_V <[hidden email]>
I'm a beginner in the use of LP; I usually make a score with MuseScore, then
I export it to an .xml file and use "musicxml2ly" to get a .ly file and
launch it on UbuntuStudio to call Frescobaldi, to have a better output.

Ciao Vincenzo
why not using Denemo instead of MuseScore? I think that you'll have the benefits of a GUI software and probably a cleaner .ly file (which you can  also tweak inside Denemo).

The problems that I encounter are often due to the fact that I'm not English
mother language, so I often can't find how to put in English questions that
maybe I have problems to put even in Italian.

What I can't figure out is how to make the pentagrams that do not contain
notes to be hidden. I've tried to use \RemoveEmptyStaves but I didn't get
what I was looking for: the empty pentagrams are still there, I just got
multiple rests to appear as single ones. It's really easy wit MuseScore to
obtain what I want.

have you read this page?

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Helge Kruse-2
Am 03.11.2013 15:28, schrieb Son_V:

> The problems that I encounter are often due to the fact that I'm not English
> mother language, so I often can't find how to put in English questions that
> maybe I have problems to put even in Italian.
Year mail can be read perfectly.

> What I can't figure out is how to make the pentagrams that do not contain
> notes to be hidden. I've tried to use \RemoveEmptyStaves but I didn't get
> what I was looking for: the empty pentagrams are still there, I just got
> multiple rests to appear as single ones. It's really easy wit MuseScore to
> obtain what I want.

I am not sure what you mean with pentagrams. But a minimum example would
help.

But when \RemoveEmptyStaves shall do its work you must write the rest in
the form

Rm*n

     R1 R R R R R    % ignored by RemoveEmpyStaves
     R1*10
   }
   \layout {
     \context {
       \Staff
       \RemoveEmptyStaves

Regards
Helge

Helge Kruse <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 03.11.2013 15:28, schrieb Son_V:
>
>> The problems that I encounter are often due to the fact that I'm not English
>> mother language, so I often can't find how to put in English questions that
>> maybe I have problems to put even in Italian.
> Year mail can be read perfectly.
>
>> What I can't figure out is how to make the pentagrams that do not contain
>> notes to be hidden. I've tried to use \RemoveEmptyStaves but I didn't get
>> what I was looking for: the empty pentagrams are still there, I just got
>> multiple rests to appear as single ones. It's really easy wit MuseScore to
>> obtain what I want.
>
> I am not sure what you mean with pentagrams. But a minimum example
> would help.

The five staff lines, I'd presume.

Aw: Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Helge Kruse-2
> The five staff lines, I'd presume.

Regards
Helge

Re: Aw: Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

David Kastrup
"Helge Kruse" <[hidden email]> writes:

>> The five staff lines, I'd presume.
> Confirmed.
> http://browse.dict.cc/deutsch-italienisch/Notenliniensystem.html

Oh, we don't need to look at others' glossaries, we have our own:

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/music-glossary/staff>

Re: Aw: Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Christ van Willegen
On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh, we don't need to look at others' glossaries, we have our own:
>
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/music-glossary/staff>

It would be a tremendous help if the pictures (if any...) would show
up in de index as well! That would make it possible to look for
something graphical that matches what I want to engrave.

I'm not always sure what something is named in Dutch, an my musical
English is even worse...

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Son_V
<quote author="Mike Solomon">
On Nov 3, 2013, at 3:28 PM, Son_V <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
[...]

Dear Son_V,

Please send a tiny example (esempio minimo) showing the problem. For more on what this is, please see:

http://www.lilypond.org/tiny-examples.it.html

Hi,
thanks, I've already understood what a "tiny example" is, but I don't think i'm able to make one. I've just tried to make the smaller exemple I can do, but it's an ignominous 110 line. Can I post here such a thing? I've already "fought" with LP and got how to make some things, learned \( \), got some (maybe not the better) solutions for other problems, but this one (and a pair of others) are still away from my reach.

Good evening.

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Son_V
<quote author="Federico Bruni-5">
2013/11/3 Son_V <[hidden email]>

Ciao Vincenzo

Ciao Federico

why not using Denemo instead of MuseScore? I think that you'll have the
benefits of a GUI software and probably a cleaner .ly file (which you can
 also tweak inside Denemo).

I am used to MuseScore that I think is a wonderful program, but for the output I still prefer, as I've said, to export to an .xml file, treat it with musicxml2ly and then load the obtained .ly file (in Frescobaldi)  because of the better typographical output I get. For other problems I searched online and found the solutions, other times I've fought by myself.

have you read this page?
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves

Yes. I didn't asked before searching, and it's there where I found the \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves instruction, that (surely my fault) I can't make to work.

Buona serata (o quel chel'è :)

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Son_V
Hy Elge,
I see your latest message on my mail but not here, so I replay to your former one; I think it has been made by MuseScore writing the xml file o by musicxml2ly, the multiple rests are written this way:

    R1  | % 14
    R1*7 \break | % 21
    R1*5  | % 26
    r2 r4 es4 | % 27

there are two rests at the end of the first stave, the first is "R1" and the second is the first of "R1*7"; the remaining six rests of "R1*7" fulfill the successive (empty) stave; then "R1*5" fulfill the successive (empty) stave; then "r2 ...." is the beginning of a non empty measure.

Dont know this answers your question .....
thanks and bye

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Son_V
Hi Helge (and all),
I've solved the problem. Maybe it's not the better or more elegant way ...
I've noticed that you put your \layout AFTER the \score. In the file (obtained from an xml file as I said) I had a \layout near the beginning of the file (after \paper), but I had another one empty ( \layout {} ) at the end of the file.
I put \staff \RemoveEmptyStaves THERE, and all went OK.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: Hiding empty pentagrams (first message)

Eluze
Son_V wrote
Hi Helge (and all),
I've solved the problem. Maybe it's not the better or more elegant way ...
I've noticed that you put your \layout AFTER the \score. In the file (obtained from an xml file as I said) I had a \layout near the beginning of the file (after \paper), but I had another one empty ( \layout {} ) at the end of the file.
I put \staff \RemoveEmptyStaves THERE, and all went OK.
astonishing - any examples?
Eluze