Hide staff with Arrows Possible without other program?

Hide staff with Arrows Possible without other program?

Reggie
Hello I was trying to create a score where a staff goes away and a simple
horizontal arrow continues in its place even over page breaks. I cannot
understand where to find this answer and I believe the framengraver is too
much for myneeds. Is it possible?

I would like to have a simple arrow go across the page or pages in place of
staff then the staff would appear later as normal as found in many
contemporary scores. Do I need to leave blank space and go add arrows in
image software after LilyPond I hope not.

Thank you for helping me with my question. I have a photo to show my help.
The arrows will not always stay on one page but travel pages in place of
staff in some cases which is very common.

help-please.jpg
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5625/help-please.jpg>

Re: Hide staff with Arrows Possible without other program?

Mark Knoop-4
At 16:45 on 03 Mar 2019, Reggie wrote:

> Hello I was trying to create a score where a staff goes away and a
> simple horizontal arrow continues in its place even over page breaks.
> I cannot understand where to find this answer and I believe the
> framengraver is too much for myneeds. Is it possible?
>
> I would like to have a simple arrow go across the page or pages in
> place of staff then the staff would appear later as normal as found in
> many contemporary scores. Do I need to leave blank space and go add
> arrows in image software after LilyPond I hope not.
>
> Thank you for helping me with my question. I have a photo to show my
> help. The arrows will not always stay on one page but travel pages in
> place of staff in some cases which is very common.

Hi Reggie,

You can do this with a simple TextSpanner:

\version "2.19.82"

onStaffExtender = {
  \override TextSpanner.style = #'line
  \override TextSpanner.thickness = #6
  \override TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t
  \override TextSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f
  \override TextSpanner.Y-offset = #0
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.padding = #0
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.padding = #0
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text =
  \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text =
  \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t

    \new Staff \repeat unfold 80 c'4
    \new Staff {
      c'1
      \stopStaff
      \once \onStaffExtender
      <>\startTextSpan
      s1*18
      \startStaff
      <>\stopTextSpan
      c'1

Mark Knoop

Re: Hide staff with Arrows Possible without other program?

Reggie
Mark Knoop-4 wrote

> You can do this with a simple TextSpanner:
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> onStaffExtender = {
>   \override TextSpanner.style = #'line
>   \override TextSpanner.thickness = #6
>   \override TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t
>   \override TextSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f
>   \override TextSpanner.Y-offset = #0
>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.padding = #0
>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.padding = #0
>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text =
>   \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text =
>   \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
> }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff \repeat unfold 80 c'4
>     \new Staff {
>       c'1
>       \stopStaff
>       \once \onStaffExtender
>       <>\startTextSpan
>       s1*18
>       \startStaff
>       <>\stopTextSpan
>       c'1
>     }
>   >>

> Mark Knoop

Mark this is so helpful to me thank you. Can you answer this however? What
if I would like the arrow to be solid straight line and only one arrowpoint
at end of everything not every system arrow at end of system? Also, how to
hide clef for each arrow line system while line occurs instead of treble
showing in your example each system has line + clef instead of just line?
Thank you so very much. And what is <> that you use at end?

At 17:18 on 03 Mar 2019, Reggie wrote:

> Mark Knoop-4 wrote
>> You can do this with a simple TextSpanner:
>>
>> \version "2.19.82"
>>
>> onStaffExtender = {
>>   \override TextSpanner.style = #'line
>>   \override TextSpanner.thickness = #6
>>   \override TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t
>>   \override TextSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f
>>   \override TextSpanner.Y-offset = #0
>>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.padding = #0
>>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.padding = #0
>>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text =
>>   \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
>>   \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text =
>>   \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>   <<
>>     \new Staff \repeat unfold 80 c'4
>>     \new Staff {
>>       c'1
>>       \stopStaff
>>       \once \onStaffExtender
>>       <>\startTextSpan
>>       s1*18
>>       \startStaff
>>       <>\stopTextSpan
>>       c'1
>>     }
>>   >>
>> }
>>
> Mark this is so helpful to me thank you. Can you answer this however?
> What if I would like the arrow to be solid straight line and only one
> arrowpoint at end of everything not every system arrow at end of
> system?

I can't check this right now, but you may have to use \alterBroken:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-broken-spanners

> Also, how to hide clef for each arrow line system while line occurs
> instead of treble showing in your example each system has line + clef
> instead of just line? Thank you so very much.

Add:
      \temporary \omit Staff.Clef

and:
      \undo \omit Staff.Clef

either side of the TextSpanner.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/visibility-of-objects

> And what is <> that you use at end?

This is an empty zero-length chord which is useful for attaching objects such as TextSpanners or Markups.

--
Mark Knoop