Help with Midi

David Sumbler
When working on a project in Lilypond I usually set things up to
generate midi files as well as printable output, mainly for note-
checking.  But it is interesting to generate an ensemble midi file too.
I play these files with TiMidity, using the fluidr3_gm soundfont.

I know the (very) basics about midi instruments (although I'm a bit
vague about midi channels), and I know how to improve things by using
timidity to generate wav files which I can import into qtractor or
similar and then edit the combined result.

What I am about to ask is not really a Lilypond question at all (at
least, I don't think it is), but I am hoping that somebody on this list
can point me in the right direction.  Clearly I am not making the right
searches on line, because I have never managed to find the information
I want.

What I should like to know is
1) how can I use drum and other untuned percussion sounds?
2) I notice that fluidr3_gm has dozens - probably hundreds - of extra
sounds and instruments beyond the standard 128.  How can I access
these?
3) how can I use other soundfonts?  There seem to be a lot of free
soundfonts available on line, but I have no idea how I would use them.
It would be nice to have a decent trumpet sound (the fluidr3-gm one is
very poor), the sound of violin section as will as solo violin, string
harmonics, timpani roll and so on.

Can anyone point me to a useful online source of such information?

David

Re: Help with Midi

Hwaen Ch'uqi
Greetings David,

You are echoing many questions that I have had for quite a while. The
only tidbit that I can offer is that, using the freepats sound font,
nonpitched percussion seems to work. Once you have installed freepats,
go into your /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg file, and you should find a
line that says:

# source /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg

Uncomment that line and comment the line showing where fluidr3_gm is
found, and then the freepats should be accessible. Interestingly, the
first line of the freepats.cfg file reads:

dir /usr/share/midi/freepats

Looking at that directory, one finds two subdirectories containing the
various .pat files that are the basis of that sound font. What I
wonder is whether or not other .pat files - assuming that this is the
common extension used in other sound fonts (I have absolutely no idea
of this) - could be swapped in or out to create the ideal set of
sounds that you are looking for. Has anyone else thoughts on this or
other of David's questions?

Hwaen Ch'uqi

On 8/14/20, David Sumbler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When working on a project in Lilypond I usually set things up to
> generate midi files as well as printable output, mainly for note-
> checking.  But it is interesting to generate an ensemble midi file too.
> I play these files with TiMidity, using the fluidr3_gm soundfont.
>
> I know the (very) basics about midi instruments (although I'm a bit
> vague about midi channels), and I know how to improve things by using
> timidity to generate wav files which I can import into qtractor or
> similar and then edit the combined result.
>
> What I am about to ask is not really a Lilypond question at all (at
> least, I don't think it is), but I am hoping that somebody on this list
> can point me in the right direction.  Clearly I am not making the right
> searches on line, because I have never managed to find the information
> I want.
>
> What I should like to know is
> 1) how can I use drum and other untuned percussion sounds?
> 2) I notice that fluidr3_gm has dozens - probably hundreds - of extra
> sounds and instruments beyond the standard 128.  How can I access
> these?
> 3) how can I use other soundfonts?  There seem to be a lot of free
> soundfonts available on line, but I have no idea how I would use them.
> It would be nice to have a decent trumpet sound (the fluidr3-gm one is
> very poor), the sound of violin section as will as solo violin, string
> harmonics, timpani roll and so on.
>
> Can anyone point me to a useful online source of such information?
>
> David

Re: Help with Midi

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/web/source/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-percussion#basic-percussion-notation

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/web/source/Documentation/notation/percussion-notes

> 2) I notice that fluidr3_gm has dozens - probably hundreds - of extra
> sounds and instruments beyond the standard 128.  How can I access
> these?

On Linux, looking at
    /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg
might give some ideas.

> 3) how can I use other soundfonts?

First line of the above configuration file reads
---CUT---
dir /usr/share/midi/freepats
---CUT---

$ ls /usr/share/midi/freepats
Drum_000  Tone_000

> There seem to be a lot of free
> soundfonts available on line, but I have no idea how I would use them.
> It would be nice to have a decent trumpet sound (the fluidr3-gm one is
> very poor), the sound of violin section as will as solo violin, string
> harmonics, timpani roll and so on.
>
> Can anyone point me to a useful online source of such information?

https://apfelboymchen.net/gnu/notes/timidity++%20multiple%20soundfonts.html

https://freepats.zenvoid.org/

HTH,
Gilles

Re: Help with Midi

Flaming Hakama by Elaine

  1. Re: Help with Midi (Hwaen Ch'uqi)
   2. Re: kind of OT: bach inventions (Flaming Hakama by Elaine)

> What I should like to know is
> 1) how can I use drum and other untuned percussion sounds?
> 2) I notice that fluidr3_gm has dozens - probably hundreds - of extra
> sounds and instruments beyond the standard 128.  How can I access
> these?
> 3) how can I use other soundfonts?  There seem to be a lot of free
> soundfonts available on line, but I have no idea how I would use them.
> It would be nice to have a decent trumpet sound (the fluidr3-gm one is
> very poor), the sound of violin section as will as solo violin, string
> harmonics, timpani roll and so on.
>
> Can anyone point me to a useful online source of such information?
>
> David

Not of immediate help, since I use Logic and Cubase for MIDI -> audio
but I can attest that using the lilypond drum sounds
does translate to drum sounds when you choose an appropriate drum patch.

Elaine

Re: Help with Midi

Peter Chubb

David> What I should like to know is 1) how can I use drum and other
David> untuned percussion sounds?  2) I notice that fluidr3_gm has
David> dozens - probably hundreds - of extra sounds and instruments
David> beyond the standard 128.  How can I access these?  3) how can I
David> use other soundfonts?  There seem to be a lot of free
David> soundfonts available on line, but I have no idea how I would
David> use them.  It would be nice to have a decent trumpet sound (the
David> fluidr3-gm one is very poor), the sound of violin section as
David> will as solo violin, string harmonics, timpani roll and so on.

You can remap any bank/instrument in Timidity to a particular patch.

In /etc/timidity.conf you can, say, improve the harpsichord by using
the Ross soundfont:

bank 0
  6 %font ross.sf2 1 2

to replace instrument 6 in bank 0 (harpsichord) with instrument 2 in
bank 1 of the ross.sf2 soundfont.

There are lots of soundfonts available from
http://www.personalcopy.com/

The Ross soundfont for harpsichord is from http://web.ncf.ca/bf250/my.html