Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Nahum Wengrov
I'm using Win XP, Lilypond 2.6.5.

I edited my .ly file, containing Hebrew in header text and in lyrics, in
Notepad and saved is as "UTF-8," but Lilypond seems not to recognise it.

Is there a known bug in Notepad concerning UTF-8, or is it UTF-8 encoding
incompatible with Lilypond?

Should I try a different editor?
Or do I need to install any special fonts to some obscure Lilypond folder,
Or what?

If so, where do I find such fonts, and how do I install them?

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Martial-3
hello

> Is there a known bug in Notepad concerning UTF-8, or is it UTF-8 encoding
> incompatible with Lilypond?

If you use The Windows NotePad they can not save in UFT-8 !
If you want a simple textEditor  use NotePad2
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
in the file menu choise code UFT-8

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

John Wiedenhoeft
You could also use Crimson Editor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com/). Its
lightweight, but yet very powerful (syntax highlighting etc.)

Cheers,
John

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Martial-3

> You could also use Crimson Editor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com/).

Yeahp !
Adopted ! Yet I love Scite;
Her the Lilypond syntaxe highlight !
(long url
http://www.crimsoneditor.com/english/board/
CrazyWWWBoard.cgi?db=
files&mode=read&num=1657&page=
1&ftype=6&fval=lilypond&backdepth=1
)

small url : http://tinyurl.com/9hxhw

for auto-detec syntaxe
write in a the pad :

LANGSPEC:Lilypond.SPC
KEYWORDS:Lilypond.KEY

save the with filename "extension.ly" in the
C:\Program Files\Crimson Editor\link

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Quoting martial <[hidden email]>:

> hello
>
>> Is there a known bug in Notepad concerning UTF-8, or is it UTF-8 encoding
>> incompatible with Lilypond?
On the contrary, LilyPond only knows about UTF-8, since version 2.6.0,
see the manual.

> If you use The Windows NotePad they can not save in UFT-8 !
Certainly it can, at least in Windows XP (unfortunately not in Win98, though)!

> If you want a simple textEditor  use NotePad2
> http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
> in the file menu choise code UFT-8

Or look at the latest weeks discussions on different text editors in
the mailing list archives.

RE: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Nahum Wengrov
Quoting Matts Bengtsson:

>> hello
>>
>>> Is there a known bug in Notepad concerning UTF-8, or is it UTF-8
>>> encoding incompatible with Lilypond?

>On the contrary, LilyPond only knows about UTF-8, since version 2.6.0,
>see the manual.

I was asking if Notepad's UTF-8 encoding is incompatible with Lilypond.

>> If you use The Windows NotePad they can not save in UFT-8 !

>Certainly it can, at least in Windows XP (unfortunately not in Win98,
though)!

Sorry to disappoint you. Notepad can only save as *signed* UTF-8 format.
Which is indeed incompatible with Lilypond.

>> If you want a simple textEditor  use NotePad2
>> http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
>> in the file menu choise code UFT-8

>Or look at the latest weeks discussions on different text editors in
>the mailing list archives.

Thanks, I'm already using Notepad2 for files having unicode. Seems not to be
working well with Hebrew though.

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Mats Bengtsson-4
Nahum Wengrov wrote:

>>On the contrary, LilyPond only knows about UTF-8, since version 2.6.0,
>>see the manual.
>>

>I was asking if Notepad's UTF-8 encoding is incompatible with Lilypond.

I have only tried it with characters such as åäöÅÄÖßü, that
are also included in Latin1, but for those it has worked
excellently.

>Thanks, I'm already using Notepad2 for files having unicode. Seems not to be
>working well with Hebrew though.

That might rather have something to do with the font
handling. If you search the mailing list archives, you
will find a number of emails related to Hebrew lyrics,
hopefully you can find some more hints there.

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Martial-3

> >Certainly it can, at least in Windows XP (unfortunately not in Win98,
> though)!
> Sorry to disappoint you. Notepad can only save as *signed* UTF-8 format.
> Which is indeed incompatible with Lilypond.

ha ! well ! allright !

> Thanks, I'm already using Notepad2 for files having unicode. Seems not to be
> working well with Hebrew though.

Hum ! Send me your ly file I would like test.
I use the version  2.7.23 for the moment

Re: Hebrew, UTF-8, etc.

Sven Axelsson-3
On 20/01/06, Nahum Wengrov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Quoting Mats Bengtsson:
> >Certainly it can, at least in Windows XP (unfortunately not in Win98,
> though)!
>
> Sorry to disappoint you. Notepad can only save as *signed* UTF-8 format.
> Which is indeed incompatible with Lilypond.

Well, the UTF-8 BOM is properly ignored at least in Lilypond 2.7. I am
pretty sure those chages were backported to 2.6 too. Can't find the
exact version right now, but according to the changelog, the change
was made May 30, 2005.

--
Sven Axelsson