Harp glissandi

Rachel Knight
I can’t get the glissandi to look right in this passage. I followed the instructions for when the glissando does not end on a note. The problem is that the glissando is too steeply slanted downward. Rather than ending half way between the two quarter notes, it should end beneath the following quarter note.
Rachel

Treble = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \time 4/4
  \numericTimeSignature
  \override Glissando.style = #'zigzag

        \scaleDurations 1/2 {
                s2
  c'4 \glissando
  \hideNotes c,,4 \unHideNotes

  c''4 \glissando
  \hideNotes c,,4 \unHideNotes

  c''4 \glissando
  \hideNotes c,,4 \unHideNotes
        }

  \bar "|."

}

Bass = \relative c' {
  \clef bass
        \numericTimeSignature
        \time 4/4

        c4 r2. |
        f,4 r2. |
        c'4 r2. |
        s1 |
        c4 s2. |
        f,4 s2. |
        g4 s2. |
        f4 s2. |
}

        \score
                  {
                  \new GrandStaff
                  <<
                  \new Staff { \Treble }
                        \new Staff { \Bass }

Re: Harp glissandi

Andrew Bernard
Hi Rachel,

There's more than one way to do this. But how about a simple rotation?

   \override Glissando.rotation = #'(45 0 0.5)

Adjust rotation parameters to taste.

Andrew

Re: Harp glissandi

Andrew Bernard
Or you could just use \draw-squiggle-line as a markup. This gives you control lof thre end point, and you can offset markups to whereever you want, more or less.

See A.11.3 Graphic in the NR (version 2.91.82)

Nobody says they actually have to be semantic glissandos in actuality.

Andrew

Re: Harp glissandi

Andrew Bernard
For example,

  \time 4/4
  \clef treble
  \once \override TextScript.extra-offset = #'(1 . 3)
  c''4_\markup { \draw-squiggle-line #0.3 #'(2 . -3) ##t } c''
}

Poorly done, but you see the gist of it.

Andrew

Re: Harp glissandi

Torsten Hämmerle
Rachel Knight wrote
> The glissando now look right except that it starts below the note instead
> of touching it. How would I fix the vertical aspect after rotating it? The
> angle is right in the first screenshot, but the placement is only correct
> in the original (screenshot 2).

Hi Rachel,

The rotation property takes three arguments:
1. the angle
2. rotation centre (x coordinate)
3. rotation centre (y coordinate)

Most of the placement issues can be resolved by varying the centre of
rotation (i.e. the 2nd and 3rd argument).

If his fails, you still can freely shift around the squiggly line by
  \override Glissando.extra-offset = #'(0 . 1)
In this example, the squiggly line will be moved up by 1 staff-space.

HTH,
Torsten

Re: Harp glissandi

Torsten Hämmerle
Sorry,

I should have mentioned that the coordinates of the rotational centre are
relative to the Glissando extents.

x coordinate 0 means its centre, -1 means its left end and 1 means its right
end:

%%%%%%%%%%%%
  \override Glissando.rotation = #'(30 0 0)
  <>^"centre"
  c''4 \glissando s s c''
  \override Glissando.rotation = #'(30 -1 0)
  <>^"left"
  c''4 \glissando s s c''
  \override Glissando.rotation = #'(30 1 0)
  <>^"right"
  c''4 \glissando s s c''
}

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/glissando-rotational-centre.png>

By rotating around the left end, the vertical starting point will be
retained.
Rotating around the right end, the vertical ending point will be retained.
No matter how long the particular glissando actually is.

HTH,
Torsten