Halving/doubling durations

Peter Chubb

Hi Folks,
   Lots of older music is written in 4/2 or 3/2 time, and uses minims
   as the standard note.  I'd like to be able to enter it exactly for
   proof reading, then halve all the note values (and the time
   signature) so the main melody is in crotchets instead of minims.

   Example, the old Hymn Tune, `All Saints'

\score {
     \new Staff \relative c'' {
               \key bes \major  \time 4/2
               bes2 f g g |
               f es d4( c) bes2

I'd like to convert this automatically to

\score {
     \new Staff \relative c'' {
               \key bes \major  \time 4/4
               bes4 f g g |
               f es d8( c) bes4

by something like
   \halveDurations { music ... }

It'd be fairly easy to write a music function that does this,  but I
wanted to ask first if there was one already existing I could use.

Peter C

Re: Halving/doubling durations

Robert Schmaus
Hi Peter,

if you use Frescobaldi for writing your music (and I very much can
recommend that!!), it has a lot of such things built in.

http://www.frescobaldi.org/index.html

Best,
Robert

[hidden email] writes:

> Hi Folks,
>    Lots of older music is written in 4/2 or 3/2 time, and uses minims
>    as the standard note.  I'd like to be able to enter it exactly for
>    proof reading, then halve all the note values (and the time
>    signature) so the main melody is in crotchets instead of minims.
>
>    Example, the old Hymn Tune, `All Saints'
>
> \score {
>      \new Staff \relative c'' {
>       \key bes \major  \time 4/2
>       bes2 f g g |
>       f es d4( c) bes2
>            }
> }
>
> I'd like to convert this automatically to
>
> \score {
>      \new Staff \relative c'' {
>       \key bes \major  \time 4/4
>       bes4 f g g |
>       f es d8( c) bes4
>  }
> }
>
> by something like
>    \halveDurations { music ... }
>

> It'd be fairly easy to write a music function that does this,  but I
> wanted to ask first if there was one already existing I could use.

\shiftDurations #1 #0 { music ... }

RE: Halving/doubling durations

Mark Stephen Mrotek
Peter,

In Frescobaldi:
Tools, rhythm, double/half duration

Mark

David> [hidden email] writes:

>> It'd be fairly easy to write a music function that does this, but I
>> wanted to ask first if there was one already existing I could use.

David> \shiftDurations #1 #0 { music ... }

Thanks David!  That's exactly what I want.  But I think I'll try to
get a patch to add \shiftDurations to the docs so it can be found by
others ...

Peter C