Gvim and point and click on Ubuntu 18.10

Gvim and point and click on Ubuntu 18.10

Andrew Bernard
Before I post long winded and complex error issues with my setup, is anybody else using this combination to good effect? I am having no end of trouble with error messages and unwanted behaviour from gvim. Even the various vim forums are barren of information on what I am seeing and what is happening. So this is an initial probe.

Andrew

Re: Gvim and point and click on Ubuntu 18.10

Mark Knoop-4
At 22:33 on 24 Feb 2019, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Before I post long winded and complex error issues with my setup, is
> anybody else using this combination to good effect? I am having no end of
> trouble with error messages and unwanted behaviour from gvim. Even the
> various vim forums are barren of information on what I am seeing and what
> is happening. So this is an initial probe.

When I was using gvim the command shown in the documentation always worked for me, i.e.:

$ gvim --remote +:%(line)s:norm%(column)s "%(file)s"

The only difficulties I had were several years ago with registering the textedit:// protocol during the changes from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. But that was unrelated to the gvim end of things.

--
Mark Knoop

Re: Gvim and point and click on Ubuntu 18.10

Andrew Bernard
Hi Mark,

Thanks. I have overcome all the demons, and you will see I have contributed an essay on the topic.

Andrew