Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Stephen MacNeil
I don't use tab but a friend asked how he could do it. So I came up with this. It allows you to at least print 1/4 3/4 tone bends. Anyway it's just a band aid  to the problem. But hey it works. I just did a test nothing more. No real stuff... never will I don't use tab.
if you want the file i wrote for it let me know.

here is the example

http://mglessons.com/lilypond/QT_BendDef-Example.pdf

Stephen

Re: Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Marc Hohl
Am 02.05.2015 um 08:39 schrieb Stephen MacNeil:
> I don't use tab but a friend asked how he could do it. So I came up with
> this. It allows you to at least print 1/4 3/4 tone bends. Anyway it's
> just a band aid  to the problem. But hey it works. I just did a test
> nothing more. No real stuff... never will I don't use tab.
> if you want the file i wrote for it let me know.

Yes, please! Is it based on bend.ily, or did you wrote it from scratch?
IIRC, 1/4 bends were possible in bend.ily ...

Cheers,

Marc

> here is the example
>
> http://mglessons.com/lilypond/QT_BendDef-Example.pdf
>
> Stephen

Re: Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Stephen MacNeil
Hi Marc

>Yes, please! Is it based on bend.ily, or did you wrote it from scratch?
I>IRC, 1/4 bends were possible in bend.ily ...

It uses definitions.ily which I believe is based on bend.ily i think. Great work by the way! And yes quarter tones are possibly however It dies if the tab is printed. This never bothered me as I removed the tab sections from the file anyway, and it works without it. Anyway as I said this is a "Band Aid" solution, basically it just adds whatever you put in 1 1/3 2 1/4 etc by covering the old marking (not a great solution) and changes the accidental. Hence Band aid! It allows printing them with tab, which is what was needed.

anyway thanks for the great work in bend.ily

for padding reasons always cover 1 with 1, 2 with 2 etc, and the paper section seems to be needed unless you change alignment in the markups.

Am 02.05.2015 um 15:12 schrieb Stephen MacNeil:
> Hi Marc
>
>  >Yes, please! Is it based on bend.ily, or did you wrote it from scratch?
> I>IRC, 1/4 bends were possible in bend.ily ...
>
> It uses definitions.ily which I believe is based on bend.ily i think.

Yes. I wasn't aware of this file being renamed (and I did not see this
message when I answered your private message).

> Great work by the way! And yes quarter tones are possibly however It
> dies if the tab is printed.

Oh. I think I included the glyphs ¼ and so on but apparently, this is a
font issue.

> This never bothered me as I removed the tab
> sections from the file anyway, and it works without it. Anyway as I said
> this is a "Band Aid" solution, basically it just adds whatever you put
> in 1 1/3 2 1/4 etc by covering the old marking (not a great solution)
> and changes the accidental. Hence Band aid! It allows printing them with
> tab, which is what was needed.

I see.

Cheers,

Marc

Re: Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Stephen MacNeil
Yes it uses the definitions.ily Thanks for that :)

Stephen

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Marc Hohl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

thanks for sharing! I see that you worked from scratch and used BendAfter stencil overrides – do you know the solution posted in

https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/notation-snippets/guitar-string-bending

There I used slurs to fake bends – still not optimal, but at least lilypond calculates the arrows automatically.

Cheers,

Marc
Am 02.05.2015 um 15:14 schrieb Stephen MacNeil:
here

Stephen

Re: Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Federico Bruni
Hi Stephen

I didn't see the file which produced the PDF you attached in your first
message...
If you post it in this list I may add a link in github wiki to offer a
workaround for quarter tone bends.

Thanks
Federico

Il giorno sab 2 mag 2015 alle 19:24, Marc Hohl <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Am 02.05.2015 um 15:12 schrieb Stephen MacNeil:
> > Hi Marc
> >
> >  >Yes, please! Is it based on bend.ily, or did you wrote it from
> scratch?
> > I>IRC, 1/4 bends were possible in bend.ily ...
> >
> > It uses definitions.ily which I believe is based on bend.ily i
> think.
>
> Yes. I wasn't aware of this file being renamed (and I did not see this
> message when I answered your private message).
>
> > Great work by the way! And yes quarter tones are possibly however It
> > dies if the tab is printed.
>
> Oh. I think I included the glyphs ¼ and so on but apparently, this
> is a
> font issue.
>
> > This never bothered me as I removed the tab
> > sections from the file anyway, and it works without it. Anyway as I
> said
> > this is a "Band Aid" solution, basically it just adds whatever you
> put
> > in 1 1/3 2 1/4 etc by covering the old marking (not a great
> solution)
> > and changes the accidental. Hence Band aid! It allows printing them
> with
> > tab, which is what was needed.
>
> I see.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

Re: Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Stephen MacNeil
sure here they are

2 versions

1 does normal markup you only add the quarter tones -- alignment isn't perfect as definitions.ily is sometimes off .06 uses original definitions.ily

Stephen

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen

I didn't see the file which produced the PDF you attached in your first message...
If you post it in this list I may add a link in github wiki to offer a workaround for quarter tone bends.

Thanks
Federico

Il giorno sab 2 mag 2015 alle 19:24, Marc Hohl <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Am 02.05.2015 um 15:12 schrieb Stephen MacNeil:
> Hi Marc
>
>  >Yes, please! Is it based on bend.ily, or did you wrote it from scratch?
> I>IRC, 1/4 bends were possible in bend.ily ...
>
> It uses definitions.ily which I believe is based on bend.ily i think.

Yes. I wasn't aware of this file being renamed (and I did not see this
message when I answered your private message).

> Great work by the way! And yes quarter tones are possibly however It
> dies if the tab is printed.

Oh. I think I included the glyphs ¼ and so on but apparently, this is a
font issue.

> This never bothered me as I removed the tab
> sections from the file anyway, and it works without it. Anyway as I said
> this is a "Band Aid" solution, basically it just adds whatever you put
> in 1 1/3 2 1/4 etc by covering the old marking (not a great solution)
> and changes the accidental. Hence Band aid! It allows printing them with
> tab, which is what was needed.

I see.

Cheers,

Marc

Re: Guitar Tab Quarter Tone Bends

Stephen MacNeil
here if people are interested -- i posted this before .. anyway here is a link to use definitions.ily without tab called definitions_No-Tab.ly (forgot ily in the name just rename it you you wish)

http://mglessons.com/lilypond/example_No-Tab.pdf
http://mglessons.com/lilypond/example_No-Tab.ly
http://mglessons.com/lilypond/definitions_No-Tab.ly

Stephen