Glyph for longer MultiMeasureRest

Thomas Morley
Hi,

what's the common practice of setting MultiMeasureRest with longer bars?

I.e. which glyph should be used?
LilyPond chooses different ones depending on \time.
I naively expected that the code below would result in the same output
for the different settings of \time.

I didn't manage to find examples in my private library or online and I
still don't have Gould.

\version "2.16.1"

\new Staff {
  \time 7/4
  \compressFullBarRests

  R1*7/4
  R1*7/4*2

  \break

  \time 9/4
  R1*9/4
  R1*9/4*2

  \break

  \time 18/4
  R1*18/4
  R1*18/4*2

  Harm

Re: Glyph for longer MultiMeasureRest

Thomas Morley
2013/2/25 Thomas Morley <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> what's the common practice of setting MultiMeasureRest with longer bars?
>
> I.e. which glyph should be used?
> LilyPond chooses different ones depending on \time.
> I naively expected that the code below would result in the same output
> for the different settings of \time.
>
> I didn't manage to find examples in my private library or online and I
> still don't have Gould.
>

> \version "2.16.1"
>
> \new Staff {
>   \time 7/4
>   \compressFullBarRests
>
>   R1*7/4
>   R1*7/4*2
>
>   \break
>
>   \time 9/4
>   R1*9/4
>   R1*9/4*2
>
>   \break
>
>   \time 18/4
>   R1*18/4
>   R1*18/4*2
> }
>

> Thanks,
>   Harm
Image attached.

mmr.png (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Glyph for longer MultiMeasureRest

Phil Holmes
> what's the common practice of setting MultiMeasureRest with longer bars?
>
> I.e. which glyph should be used?
> LilyPond chooses different ones depending on \time.
> I naively expected that the code below would result in the same output
> for the different settings of \time.
>
> I didn't manage to find examples in my private library or online and I
> still don't have Gould.

Rests equal or longer than breves use a breve rest, and this is the second
of your examples.  Gould agrees with this.  The longer rests appear to be
longa rests - Gould does not mention them but it seems appropriate to me.

--
Phil Holmes

2013/2/25 Phil Holmes <[hidden email]>:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Morley"
> <[hidden email]>

So, LilyPond's default seems to be correct.
Perhaps I'll look for a way how to maniplate this.
Overriding MultiMeasureRest stencil is not easy, I tried this before,
without succes.

Thanks,
  Harm

Re: Glyph for longer MultiMeasureRest

Werner LEMBERG

>> Rests equal or longer than breves use a breve rest, and this is the
>> second of your examples.  Gould agrees with this.  The longer rests
>> appear to be longa rests - Gould does not mention them but it seems
>> appropriate to me.
>
> So, LilyPond's default seems to be correct.

I disagree.  IMHO, LilyPond is plain wrong.  If there is a number
above the rest, it certainly does *not* indicate the number of counts
but the number of bars.  In other words, even if you have, say, \time
18/4, a two-bar rest should be realized with the breve rest symbol and
the number `2' above it.

A similar situation arises if you are using 4/4-rests within 2/4 music
to indicate whole rests.

Please file a bug report.

    Werner

2013/2/26 Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]>:

>>> Rests equal or longer than breves use a breve rest, and this is the
>>> second of your examples.  Gould agrees with this.  The longer rests
>>> appear to be longa rests - Gould does not mention them but it seems
>>> appropriate to me.
>>
>> So, LilyPond's default seems to be correct.
>
> I disagree.  IMHO, LilyPond is plain wrong.

> Please file a bug report.

Done.
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Wrong-MultiMeasureRest-glyphs-td141576.html

Though, I'm not sure you're right.
Seems there was taken some effort to ensure the default behaviour,
otherwise properties like 'round-up-exceptions,
'round-up-to-longer-rest and 'usable-duration-logs wouldn't exist.

-Harm