Getting started in OS X terminal

Andrew Neil
I've used a mac for a couple of years now.  Until I found Lilypond,
I'd never felt the need to dip into the Terminal.  Now I'm keen to
make use of some features of Lilypond which seem to be accessible
only from the terminal, such as midi2ly.  I'd really appreciate a
little help in getting started.
The readme says "Put the lilypond.sh script somewhere in your path, eg.
$ cp lilypond.sh /usr/local/bin/lilypond"

I have carried out this command, but I'm not sure if that is in my
path.  The following command and output make me wonder:

$ echo $PATH
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
darwin-current

I've been reading "Unix for Mac OS X Tiger" to try and make sense of
all this, but it is slow going.  I'm not even sure what a path is yet!
My thanks in advance for any help.

I run Lilypond 2.7.11-1 on mac os 10.4.2, with macpython 2.3
installed (though it doesn't seem to open).  Python version 2.3.5
runs in the terminal.

Re: Getting started in OS X terminal

Thomas Evdokimoff
you might try using the fink package it sets the paths and dependencies for
you..

see

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Thomas Evdokimoff M.A., B.Mus.
www3.telus.net/thomase/

Quoting Andrew Neil <[hidden email]>:

> I've used a mac for a couple of years now.  Until I found Lilypond,
> I'd never felt the need to dip into the Terminal.  Now I'm keen to
> make use of some features of Lilypond which seem to be accessible
> only from the terminal, such as midi2ly.  I'd really appreciate a
> little help in getting started.
> The readme says "Put the lilypond.sh script somewhere in your path, eg.
> $ cp lilypond.sh /usr/local/bin/lilypond"
>
> I have carried out this command, but I'm not sure if that is in my
> path.  The following command and output make me wonder:
>
> $ echo $PATH
> /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
> darwin-current
>
> I've been reading "Unix for Mac OS X Tiger" to try and make sense of
> all this, but it is slow going.  I'm not even sure what a path is yet!
> My thanks in advance for any help.
>
> I run Lilypond 2.7.11-1 on mac os 10.4.2, with macpython 2.3
> installed (though it doesn't seem to open).  Python version 2.3.5
> runs in the terminal.

Re: Getting started in OS X terminal

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Andrew Neil wrote:

> I've used a mac for a couple of years now.  Until I found Lilypond,  I'd
> never felt the need to dip into the Terminal.  Now I'm keen to  make use
> of some features of Lilypond which seem to be accessible  only from the
> terminal, such as midi2ly.  I'd really appreciate a  little help in
> getting started.
> The readme says "Put the lilypond.sh script somewhere in your path, eg.
> $ cp lilypond.sh /usr/local/bin/lilypond"
>
> I have carried out this command, but I'm not sure if that is in my
> path.  The following command and output make me wonder:
>
> $ echo $PATH
> /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
> darwin-current

Good point. MacOS X doesn't include /usr/local/bin/ in the path.

Add the following line to ~/.profile

   export PATH="/usr/local/bin/:$PATH"

Re: [SPAM] Re: Getting started in OS X terminal

andrea valle
Fink put sw/bin at the head of your path, and all its packages in
sw/bin. So you will have lily working but maybe other programs not
working anymore...

Better use lilypond.sh and the wonderful dmg.

-a-

On 13 Nov 2005, at 21:46, Thomas Evdokimoff wrote:

> you might try using the fink package it sets the paths and
> dependencies for
> you..
>
> see
>
> http://fink.sourceforge.net/
>

> Thomas Evdokimoff M.A., B.Mus.
> www3.telus.net/thomase/
>

> Quoting Andrew Neil <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I've used a mac for a couple of years now.  Until I found Lilypond,
>> I'd never felt the need to dip into the Terminal.  Now I'm keen to
>> make use of some features of Lilypond which seem to be accessible
>> only from the terminal, such as midi2ly.  I'd really appreciate a
>> little help in getting started.
>> The readme says "Put the lilypond.sh script somewhere in your path,
>> eg.
>> $ cp lilypond.sh /usr/local/bin/lilypond"
>>
>> I have carried out this command, but I'm not sure if that is in my
>> path.  The following command and output make me wonder:
>>
>> $ echo $PATH
>> /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-
>> darwin-current
>>
>> I've been reading "Unix for Mac OS X Tiger" to try and make sense of
>> all this, but it is slow going.  I'm not even sure what a path is yet!
>> My thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> I run Lilypond 2.7.11-1 on mac os 10.4.2, with macpython 2.3
>> installed (though it doesn't seem to open).  Python version 2.3.5
>> runs in the terminal.

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino