Gauvain Pocentek's LilyPond packages

Basil Crow
I recently found Gauvin Pocentek's packages for Ubuntu Breezy at
http://pocentek.perso.cegetel.net/ubuntu.php and have been using them
for a few days now. The packages are at version 2.6.5, and as far as I
know this is the easiest way to get the latest version of LilyPond on
Ubuntu. Is there any reason that his page isn't linked to from the
LilyPond download page (not many people use Dapper at the moment, and
the LilyPond in Breezy's universe is at 2.6.3, as is the one in Debian
unstable) -- or else, maybe the 2.6.3 -> 2.6.5 modifications he made
could just be merged into the Debian unstable package and the Ubuntu
universe package.

Either way, another thing about Gauvin's packages is that if you extract
the latest LilyPond 2.7.23, copy the "debian" folder from Gauvin's
source package, run "dch -v 2.7.23", and then run dpkg-buildpackage, you
can build 2.7.23 .deb files. I just built 2.7.23 in the morning this
way -- although I had to comment out the lines for building the web
documentation in debian/rules for it to work :)

--Basil

Re: Gauvain Pocentek's LilyPond packages

Gauvain Pocentek-3
Basil Crow a écrit :

>I recently found Gauvin Pocentek's packages for Ubuntu Breezy at
>http://pocentek.perso.cegetel.net/ubuntu.php and have been using them
>for a few days now. The packages are at version 2.6.5, and as far as I
>know this is the easiest way to get the latest version of LilyPond on
>Ubuntu. Is there any reason that his page isn't linked to from the
>LilyPond download page (not many people use Dapper at the moment, and
>the LilyPond in Breezy's universe is at 2.6.3, as is the one in Debian
>unstable) -- or else, maybe the 2.6.3 -> 2.6.5 modifications he made
>could just be merged into the Debian unstable package and the Ubuntu
>universe package.

The 2.6.5 package is not clean enough to be merged into Debian or
Ubuntu. I've built it because, as you said, it's the easiest way to get
Lily on Ubuntu.
If I find some time these days, I'll try to build a cleaner package for
dapper.

>Either way, another thing about Gauvin's packages is that if you extract
>the latest LilyPond 2.7.23, copy the "debian" folder from Gauvin's
>source package, run "dch -v 2.7.23", and then run dpkg-buildpackage, you
>can build 2.7.23 .deb files. I just built 2.7.23 in the morning this
>way -- although I had to comment out the lines for building the web
>documentation in debian/rules for it to work :)

Great. Maybe could you build a lilypond-snapshot package without the doc
(building the documentation for 2.7 series is a real problem with breezy
and dapper), which allow to install both stable and development releases ?

Gauvain