GSoC applications

12

GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Hi all,

I send this to the lilypond-user list because I think it's the best union of potential readers from the LilyPond and Frescobaldi communities.

<disclaimer>I have done some work and I will be available, but I will invest substantially less energy than in the previous two years to get this on the way. I really hope there will be sufficient community engagement or someone taking responsibility.</disclaimer>

Currently applications for organizations are open for the Google Summer of Code 2018. LilyPond is under the umbrella of the GNU Project (as usual), and I have submitted the application for Frescobaldi as its own organization. For both organizations' applications it is important that there are good project suggestions pages available, Frescobaldi is an extremely small "organization", and even GNU can't simply expect to be admitted (last year it was quite close).

I have started to update the pages
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code

by purging unmaintained projects and adding a few new ones. Interesting LilyPond projects that don't have mentors are listed here:
http://lilypond.org/attic.html#Inactive-Google-Summer-of-Code-project-suggestions

In order to attract good students I think we should have a few more project suggestions on the pages, and for the applications as organizations it is really important to have more potential mentors assigned to projects - I don't think it looks good that I am listed as mentor for eight out of thirteen project suggestions. In addition, in recent years it usually was complicated to eventually distribute "slots" to projects. Essentially we lost a few possible slots because we couldn't assign mentors to projects.

So, I encourage, no, I urge everybody to look into their souls whether they might volunteer to mentor a project (not only those listed already but also new suggestions). But I will not pressure any further after this email, so if there are no volunteers we may not be successful with GSoC this year.
Mentoring *is* a responsibility and it *does* take some time. But after all, it's not that much time, and it's a quite rewarding responsibility.

Best
Urs

Re: GSoC applications

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Urs,

> I encourage, no, I urge everybody to look into their souls whether they might volunteer to mentor a project (not only those listed already but also new suggestions).

Any ideas you can think of that don’t require C++ or Scheme?
I’d be happy to consider them…

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: GSoC applications

Giampaolo Orrigo
I definitely have an idea, although I don’t have the necessary programming knowledge to mentor, although I have the scholarly knowledge.
I think the community would greatly benefit if LilyPond had full support for both white and black mensural notation. There was an effort done some time ago but it was abandoned and the original author seems unreachable.

My two cents!

Giampaolo Orrigo, MBA

On Jan 9, 2018, at 03:15, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Stemby

it is important that there are good project suggestions pages available

What do you think about including a project concerning video outputs? This discussion might be a good start:

https://github.com/aspiers/ly2video/issues/67

Best regards,
Carlo

Re: GSoC applications

Karlin High
On 1/9/2018 10:33 AM, Carlo Stemberger wrote:
> What do you think about including a project concerning video outputs?

I'm partial to Knut Petersen's video score features. There was once a
mention of combining these two projects somehow.

However, think of all the dependencies that video-generation features
would bring in. (Say, FluidSynth for MIDI-to-Audio, FFMPEG for video
generation, etc) I expect a video score feature would end up as a whole
separate project closely connected to LilyPond, like Frescobaldi is now.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Am 09.01.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Karlin High:
I'm partial to Knut Petersen's video score features. There was once a mention of combining these two projects somehow.

However, think of all the dependencies that video-generation features would bring in. (Say, FluidSynth for MIDI-to-Audio, FFMPEG for video generation, etc) I expect a video score feature would end up as a whole separate project closely connected to LilyPond, like Frescobaldi is now.

This sounds great.

I suggest you start a new thread about that and discuss some outline of a project. If you come up with a project description - and a mentor - I can integrate it in the suggestions page.

Urs

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Am 09.01.2018 um 15:05 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

I encourage, no, I urge everybody to look into their souls whether they might volunteer to mentor a project (not only those listed already but also new suggestions).
Any ideas you can think of that don’t require C++ or Scheme?

I assume this does *not* mean "gimme some Python"? :-/

I’d be happy to consider them…

Your question gave me some food for thought, and I came up with an idea that might turn out to become a brilliant move on many levels: On https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/GSoC-Guidelines#user-content-community-mentors I outlined a new inofficial GSoC role that I would like to install for this year: Community Mentors.

Community mentors are people like you who are experts in an area but not necessarily programmers. In a way they can act somewhat like product owners and scrum masters in agile development: they steer the discussion about the *use case* and the user facing design of features to be implemented. And they are responsible for keeping communication alive. In particular they should be responsible for keeping the user/developer community engaged in a project (by triggering discussions on the mailing lists). My experience in the last years showed me that most projects (and I explicitly include myself in this) tend to focus way too narrowly on the student and the mentor. Our students are not used (and often seemed too shy) to discuss with the community. As a result most projects are not actively visible for the community.

I think you could be such a community mentor for a number of projects. Some suggestions:

Think about it ...

Best
Urs

Thanks,
Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Hi Giampaolo,

Am 09.01.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Giampaolo Orrigo:
I definitely have an idea, although I don’t have the necessary programming knowledge to mentor, although I have the scholarly knowledge.
I think the community would greatly benefit if LilyPond had full support for both white and black mensural notation.

That sounds like a great idea.

There was an effort done some time ago but it was abandoned and the original author seems unreachable.

Indeed, such things happen (you are talking about Lukas, right?). Also the initial developer of the lilyJAZZ font has mysteriously become invisible over time ...

My two cents!

As you have the scholarly knowledge about the topic you could volunteer as "community mentor" (the new role I outlined in my reply to Kieren).
What you could do now to make that happen (or at least more likely to happen) is thinking about a concise project description (essentially what needs to be there and what is already available) and do some lobbying to find a primary mentor.

Best
Urs

Giampaolo Orrigo, MBA

On Jan 9, 2018, at 03:15, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi all,

I send this to the lilypond-user list because I think it's the best union of potential readers from the LilyPond and Frescobaldi communities.

<disclaimer>I have done some work and I will be available, but I will invest substantially less energy than in the previous two years to get this on the way. I really hope there will be sufficient community engagement or someone taking responsibility.</disclaimer>

Currently applications for organizations are open for the Google Summer of Code 2018. LilyPond is under the umbrella of the GNU Project (as usual), and I have submitted the application for Frescobaldi as its own organization. For both organizations' applications it is important that there are good project suggestions pages available, Frescobaldi is an extremely small "organization", and even GNU can't simply expect to be admitted (last year it was quite close).

I have started to update the pages
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code

by purging unmaintained projects and adding a few new ones. Interesting LilyPond projects that don't have mentors are listed here:
http://lilypond.org/attic.html#Inactive-Google-Summer-of-Code-project-suggestions

In order to attract good students I think we should have a few more project suggestions on the pages, and for the applications as organizations it is really important to have more potential mentors assigned to projects - I don't think it looks good that I am listed as mentor for eight out of thirteen project suggestions. In addition, in recent years it usually was complicated to eventually distribute "slots" to projects. Essentially we lost a few possible slots because we couldn't assign mentors to projects.

So, I encourage, no, I urge everybody to look into their souls whether they might volunteer to mentor a project (not only those listed already but also new suggestions). But I will not pressure any further after this email, so if there are no volunteers we may not be successful with GSoC this year.
Mentoring *is* a responsibility and it *does* take some time. But after all, it's not that much time, and it's a quite rewarding responsibility.

Best
Urs

Re: GSoC applications

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Urs,

>>> Any ideas you can think of that don’t require C++ or Scheme?
> I assume this does *not* mean "gimme some Python"? :-/

Ha! Java, maybe (after some skill-dusting).

> Your question gave me some food for thought, and I came up with an idea that might turn out to become a brilliant move on many levels

Glad I could help.  ;)

> On https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/GSoC-Guidelines#user-content-community-mentors I outlined a new inofficial GSoC role that I would like to install for this year: Community Mentors.

Holy moly. That role should have just been called "Lily-Kierens".  =)

> I think you could be such a community mentor for a number of projects. Some suggestions:
> • reviving our old idea of a "stylesheets" openLilyLib package

Yes please! This year, I'm taking a sabbatical [from my ongoing composition career] expressly to get my old scores engraved and published. The first step is to get my current hodge-podge of stylesheet stuff into a house style. I would be happy to use my house style as our sandbox, ComMent (see what I did there?) accordingly/helpfully along the way, and then write up the documentation once we get the system "perfected".

> Maybe Abraham could be listed as a primary mentor here (I'd be available for oll-specific issues)?

Dream Team™

> • https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code#user-content-implement-a-system-to-handle-scores-system-by-system

Happy to ComMent that, too…

> • http://lilypond.org/website/google-summer-of-code.html#Fix-Beaming-Patterns_002fBeam-Subdivisions-and-Tuplets

Hmmm… Not as much.
*BUT* I do have some other GSoC ideas brewing — see separate response (coming soon).

> Think about it ...

Thunk. And I'm in.

Best,
Kieren.

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Giampaolo,
>

> Am 09.01.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Giampaolo Orrigo:
>> I definitely have an idea, although I don’t have the necessary
>> programming knowledge to mentor, although I have the scholarly
>> knowledge.
>> I think the community would greatly benefit if LilyPond had full
>> support for both white and black mensural notation.
>
> That sounds like a great idea.
>
>> There was an effort done some time ago but it was abandoned and the
>> original author seems unreachable.
>
> Indeed, such things happen (you are talking about Lukas, right?). Also
> the initial developer of the lilyJAZZ font has mysteriously become
> invisible over time ...

Yes and no.  He decided to revert to monetizing his font creation
efforts.  While I cannot blame him, the intersection of the sets of
successful marketers and successful programmers is rather small.  As a
result, most attempts to go proprietary on single-person efforts fail in
the monetary regard and have not even a generally available advance of
the arts to show as a result.  More often than not, the people
attempting to monetize an effort were already spending all the time they
could on that effort, and making the leap to _drop_ other sources of
income in order to be able to afford investing more time, and more
importantly, more creative energy, does rarely work out.

I don't think that we'll see that kind of approach succeed until
government steps in for more than defining ridiculous ranges of
copyright.  Copyright associations are usually _way_ beyond sanity in
their conditions for both consumer and creator.

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Am 09.01.2018 um 22:26 schrieb David Kastrup:

> Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi Giampaolo,
>>

>> Am 09.01.2018 um 16:58 schrieb Giampaolo Orrigo:
>>> I definitely have an idea, although I don’t have the necessary
>>> programming knowledge to mentor, although I have the scholarly
>>> knowledge.
>>> I think the community would greatly benefit if LilyPond had full
>>> support for both white and black mensural notation.
>> That sounds like a great idea.
>>
>>> There was an effort done some time ago but it was abandoned and the
>>> original author seems unreachable.
>> Indeed, such things happen (you are talking about Lukas, right?). Also
>> the initial developer of the lilyJAZZ font has mysteriously become
>> invisible over time ...
> Yes and no.  He decided to revert to monetizing his font creation
> efforts.

Then you seem to know more than I do.
Or are you talking about Abraham Lee - who has *not* created LilyJAZZ
but lots of other fonts?

> While I cannot blame him, the intersection of the sets of
> successful marketers and successful programmers is rather small.  As a
> result, most attempts to go proprietary on single-person efforts fail in
> the monetary regard and have not even a generally available advance of
> the arts to show as a result.  More often than not, the people
> attempting to monetize an effort were already spending all the time they
> could on that effort, and making the leap to _drop_ other sources of
> income in order to be able to afford investing more time, and more
> importantly, more creative energy, does rarely work out.
>
> I don't think that we'll see that kind of approach succeed until
> government steps in for more than defining ridiculous ranges of
> copyright.  Copyright associations are usually _way_ beyond sanity in
> their conditions for both consumer and creator.

Re: GSoC applications

David Kastrup
Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 09.01.2018 um 22:26 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Urs Liska <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Giampaolo,

>>> That sounds like a great idea.

>>> Indeed, such things happen (you are talking about Lukas, right?). Also
>>> the initial developer of the lilyJAZZ font has mysteriously become
>>> invisible over time ...
>> Yes and no.  He decided to revert to monetizing his font creation
>> efforts.
>
> Then you seem to know more than I do.
> Or are you talking about Abraham Lee - who has *not* created LilyJAZZ
> but lots of other fonts?

Oh.  Mea culpa.  Then I got this confused.

Re: GSoC applications

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Urs,

> In order to attract good students I think we should have a few more project suggestions on the pages

I'm never at a loss for ideas…  ;)

My question is, how much of a full "project" does this need to be, as opposed to just a "fairly rich feature request"? For example, would the ability to flip grobs above or below any context from any other context be GSoC-worthy, or is it just a feature request?

Your answer will determine which suggestions I offer for consideration.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: GSoC applications

Karlin High
On 1/9/2018 2:53 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
> On
> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/GSoC-Guidelines#user-content-community-mentors
> I outlined a new inofficial GSoC role that I would like to install for
> this year: Community Mentors.

I think you're on to something here, Urs. I was thinking over past GSoC
project results. Has there been a pattern where the student reaches the
end of the project period, and then needs to return to their studies
just when the LilyPond community begins integrating their code? And
suddenly lots of additional requirements appear, unforeseeable without
extensive experience in LilyPond development?

If so, that might be the place where the community mentor could take
over and say, "Thanks for the code, good luck with your degree. If you
need to move on, we can take care of it from here."
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Am 09.01.2018 um 22:49 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hi Urs,
>
>> In order to attract good students I think we should have a few more project suggestions on the pages
> I'm never at a loss for ideas…  ;)
>
> My question is, how much of a full "project" does this need to be, as opposed to just a "fairly rich feature request"? For example, would the ability to flip grobs above or below any context from any other context be GSoC-worthy, or is it just a feature request?
>
> Your answer will determine which suggestions I offer for consideration.

In theory the answer is simple: A good project for GSoC is something a
student can achieve with three months of full-time work. Not more, but
also not less. So I'd say the "flip grobs" example looks like to narrow.

Generally, for larger projects it's beneficial if it can be somehow
modularized, i.e. it should not be one monolithic feature that can just
be completed or not. So if progress is slower there is simply less
functionality completed rather than the whole thing failed.

Urs

> Thanks,
> Kieren.
> ________________________________
>
> Kieren MacMillan, composer
> ‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
> ‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: GSoC applications

Urs Liska-3

Am 09.01.2018 um 22:50 schrieb Karlin High:

> On 1/9/2018 2:53 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
>> On
>> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/GSoC-Guidelines#user-content-community-mentors
>> I outlined a new inofficial GSoC role that I would like to install
>> for this year: Community Mentors.
>
> I think you're on to something here, Urs. I was thinking over past
> GSoC project results. Has there been a pattern where the student
> reaches the end of the project period, and then needs to return to
> their studies just when the LilyPond community begins integrating
> their code? And suddenly lots of additional requirements appear,
> unforeseeable without extensive experience in LilyPond development?

Yes, that may well be true.
I'm still struggling with the fact that "my" student's code of 2017
hasn't been merged into Frescobaldi yet.
There's a number of reasons for this problem, and a Community Mentor is
no guarantee for a better outcome, but ...

> If so, that might be the place where the community mentor could take
> over and say, "Thanks for the code, good luck with your degree. If you
> need to move on, we can take care of it from here."

... yes, but I think the benefits should become visible much earlier.
One thing I have seen with nearly all GSoC projects (mine and others')
is that they are much too detached from the community. The community
barely takes notice of a project's progress (or lack thereof), and it
isn't integrated in discussion. Last year's Chord symbols project was
sort of an exception, but I think it is crucial that interaction
increases - from both sides: the student and mentor should stay in touch
with others, and the community should be more involved in the GSoC
projects. This is where a dedicated third party - who explicitly has no
responsibility for coding - may be a blessing.

Urs

Re: GSoC applications

Thomas Morley-2

> Also the
> initial developer of the lilyJAZZ font has mysteriously become invisible
> over time ...

He's back.

https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/3653/#def8/01cc
https://lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,194.msg1374.html#msg1374

Cheers,
  Harm

Re: GSoC applications

Giampaolo Orrigo
You struck a chord there Urs, me being a product manager at a SW company and using Agile!

I will definitely work on that!

Giampaolo Orrigo, MBA

On Jan 9, 2018, at 15:56, Urs Liska <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Mentoring *is* a responsibility and it *does* take some time. But after all, it's not that much time, and it's a quite rewarding responsibility.

Best
Urs

Re: GSoC applications

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Urs,

> In theory the answer is simple: A good project for GSoC is something a student can achieve with three months of full-time work. Not more, but also not less.
> Generally, for larger projects it's beneficial if it can be somehow modularized, i.e. it should not be one monolithic feature that can just be completed or not. So if progress is slower there is simply less functionality completed rather than the whole thing failed.

I note that all the Lyric improvements are no longer listed as a GSoC project. What's the reason there?

In addition to the stuff that Janek was actively working on — now quite a while ago — there was a flurry of discussion not too long about about whether LyricText could have some "fixed versus flexible" springs-and-rods mechanism(s), so that lyrics don't always distort note-spacing. I think this project would easily fill up three months of full-time work, but could also be modularized.

That would be the project I most want to see completed (or at least significantly tackled/advanced).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Re: GSoC applications

Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Am 09.01.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Karlin High:
I'm partial to Knut Petersen's video score features. There was once a mention of combining these two projects somehow.

However, think of all the dependencies that video-generation features would bring in. (Say, FluidSynth for MIDI-to-Audio, FFMPEG for video generation, etc) I expect a video score feature would end up as a whole separate project closely connected to LilyPond, like Frescobaldi is now.

This sounds great.

I suggest you start a new thread about that and discuss some outline of a project. If you come up with a project description - and a mentor - I can integrate it in the suggestions page.

Urs

I'd consider being the mentor for this project.

I agree that, before it is GSoC-consumbale, I think there needs to be some discussion about how it fits together, and break it into parts, each appropriate for a project.

I'm in the midst of writing up some notes and suggestions, but I figured I'd mention my interest first.

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
[hidden email]
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist
12