GSoC 2020: backwards compatibility

Owen Lamb
Hi all!

Daniel drew my attention to the fact that my work doesn't keep backwards
compatibility with other fonts encoded in the LilyPond manner, such as
Gonville. He made a good point--it's definitely worth it to continue
supporting the old format until Emmentaler reaches a reasonable SMuFL or
"extended SMuFL" state that we can officially recommend be used by other
fonts.

That said, it would be difficult for me to bring backwards compatibility
back before Friday (or Monday, if it comes to that).

Werner (and the community in general), is backwards compatibility important
enough that I should try to take care of it before the deadline?

Thanks,
--Owen

Re: GSoC 2020: backwards compatibility

Carl Sorensen
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:19 AM Owen Lamb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Daniel drew my attention to the fact that my work doesn't keep backwards
> compatibility with other fonts encoded in the LilyPond manner, such as
> Gonville. He made a good point--it's definitely worth it to continue
> supporting the old format until Emmentaler reaches a reasonable SMuFL or
> "extended SMuFL" state that we can officially recommend be used by other
> fonts.
>
> That said, it would be difficult for me to bring backwards compatibility
> back before Friday (or Monday, if it comes to that).
>
> Werner (and the community in general), is backwards compatibility important
> enough that I should try to take care of it before the deadline?

I think backwards compatibility is important enough that we should probably
have it before merging the code into master.  In my opinion, it would be
best if LilyPond would work with the 'old' Emmentaler (and hence any of the
older fonts as well).

I don't think it's necessary to do it before the deadline, as long as you
will commit to do it afterwards.

I believe you can successfully pass GSoC with a branch that is not yet
merged into master.  And as long as it's available on GitLab, we have it to
use.

But since I'm not your mentor, I don't complete your evaluation.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Carl

Re: GSoC 2020: backwards compatibility

Werner LEMBERG

>> Werner (and the community in general), is backwards compatibility
>> important enough that I should try to take care of it before the
>> deadline?
>
> I think backwards compatibility is important enough that we should
> probably have it before merging the code into master.

Exactly.  However, ...

> I don't think it's necessary to do it before the deadline, as long
> as you will commit to do it afterwards.

... this doesn't directly influence your project.

> I believe you can successfully pass GSoC with a branch that is not
> yet merged into master.

Yep.

We would be more than happy, of course, if you can invest time to help
incorporate your changes into master in September.

    Werner

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Werner (and the community in general), is backwards compatibility
> >> important enough that I should try to take care of it before the
> >> deadline?
> >
> > I think backwards compatibility is important enough that we should
> > probably have it before merging the code into master.
>
> Exactly.  However, ...
>
> > I don't think it's necessary to do it before the deadline, as long
> > as you will commit to do it afterwards.
>
> ... this doesn't directly influence your project.
>
> > I believe you can successfully pass GSoC with a branch that is not
> > yet merged into master.
>
> Yep.

Glad to hear it! I'll keep working on what I have, then, and I'll work on
backwards compatibility after the deadline.

> We would be more than happy, of course, if you can invest time to help
> incorporate your changes into master in September.

Yes, if all goes well here, I'd love to help with that after GSoC ends!