GS version conflict in packaged 2.20 and 2.21

GS version conflict in packaged 2.20 and 2.21

Simon Albrecht-2
Hello everyone,

it appears from this exchange
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-04/msg00294.html>
that the packaged versions of 2.20.0 and 2.21.0 contain a mixture of GS
9.21 and 9.26.

Is that correct/expected/a known issue?

Best, Simon

Re: GS version conflict in packaged 2.20 and 2.21

Valentin Villenave-3
On 4/17/20, Simon Albrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it appears from this exchange
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-04/msg00294.html>
> that the packaged versions of 2.20.0 and 2.21.0 contain a mixture of GS
> 9.21 and 9.26.

Yes, a French user also had some gs issues that I think may be related to yours:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/2020-04/msg00164.html

Cheers,
V.

On 18.04.20 01:46, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> it appears from this exchange
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-04/msg00294.html>
> that the packaged versions of 2.20.0 and 2.21.0 contain a mixture of
> GS 9.21 and 9.26.
>
> Is that correct/expected/a known issue?

No, it is incorrect. As Jonas Hahnfeld pointed out, the problem was
calling (within the installation directory) the unwrapped binary
./lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond (which then relied on the system default GS)
instead of the wrapper script ./bin/lilypond (which sets environment
variables such as to use the GS version packaged with Lily).

Sorry for the noise and best regards

On 19.04.20 16:56, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> Yes, a French user also had some gs issues that I think may be related to yours:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/2020-04/msg00164.html

That seems to be the same usage issue—see my parallel reply or the -user
thread.

Best, Simon

Re: GS version conflict in packaged 2.20 and 2.21

Werner LEMBERG

> [...] As Jonas Hahnfeld pointed out, the problem was calling (within
> the installation directory) the unwrapped binary
> ./lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond (which then relied on the system default
> GS) instead of the wrapper script ./bin/lilypond (which sets
> environment variables such as to use the GS version packaged with
> Lily).

Do we have a warning somewhere in the LilyPond documentation that
people must not use the binary directly but the wrapper?  Simon, have
you tried to find something in the docs?  If yes, what keywords were
you looking for?

    Werner

On 19.04.20 20:27, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Do we have a warning somewhere in the LilyPond documentation that
> people must not use the binary directly but the wrapper?  Simon, have
> you tried to find something in the docs?  If yes, what keywords were
> you looking for?

I have no idea from where I might have learned to use
INSTALLDIR/bin/lilypond. It’s several years ago that I first did that;
when I directed Frescobaldi to the newly installed versions a few days
ago, I just wasn’t very attentive and sort of stumbled into the wrong
directory (which never happened to me before…).

Now I just checked the docs for any pointers and it’s kind of a blank
spot. The instructions in <http://lilypond.org/website/unix.html> aren’t
as detailed, and the Usage guide doesn’t say anything at all about
installing.

Best, Simon