Fwd: Google Code shutting down

1234

Fwd: Google Code shutting down

Han-Wen Nienhuys-3
I guess most of you have seen this by now.

I can click the "export" button so all the issues are migrated to
github. Thoughts, ideas?

Didn't someone setup a lilypond organization at github?

Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

Urs Liska
Am 13.03.2015 um 11:33 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> I guess most of you have seen this by now.
>
> I can click the "export" button so all the issues are migrated to
> github. Thoughts, ideas?
>
> Didn't someone setup a lilypond organization at github?

Yes, that was Janek. But it was considered problematic due to Github's
unpredictable TOS.
Apart from that: As much as I like working with Github, and especially
the Pull Request workflows are way more convenient than our Rietveld on
IMO, the "lightweight issue tracker" is much too lightweight compared to
our current Google tracker.

Urs

--
Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org

Han-Wen Nienhuys <[hidden email]> writes:

> I guess most of you have seen this by now.

Not really.

> I can click the "export" button so all the issues are migrated to
> github. Thoughts, ideas?

I don't really want LilyPond to move to GitHub.  I prefer figuring out
what resources we would need from Savannah and work out what it takes to
get the stuff set up properly and our workflows go at least as smoothly
as we have them now.  And of course we don't want to lose all of our
issue database.

I suspect that there will not be much hope for transferring the Rietveld
reviews over into something Git-based and reasonably equivalent, but
they are less important than getting everything out of the issue
tracker.

It would appear that we have until August to move.

Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

Graham Percival-3
On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:33:22AM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> I can click the "export" button so all the issues are migrated to
> github. Thoughts, ideas?
>
> Didn't someone setup a lilypond organization at github?

There was some discussion about that, which spilled over to
gnu-hackers or gnu-devel or whatever it's called.  Pending some
investigation about the javascript libraries or scripts used on
github.com, it's tentatively seen as "reluctantly acceptable" to
host GNU software there.

A few people spoke highly in favor of gitlab, but I'm not familiar
with them so I can't say anything one way or the other.

In addition to moving the issues, the "issue handling" scripts
would need to be updated.  Things like git-cl, patchy, and the
whole patch-submission system.  That will be a non-trivial effort.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM, David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect that there will not be much hope for transferring the Rietveld
> reviews over into something Git-based and reasonably equivalent, but
> they are less important than getting everything out of the issue
> tracker.

Rietveld is not part of google code.

Graham Percival <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:33:22AM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> I can click the "export" button so all the issues are migrated to
>> github. Thoughts, ideas?
>>
>> Didn't someone setup a lilypond organization at github?
>
> There was some discussion about that, which spilled over to
> gnu-hackers or gnu-devel or whatever it's called.  Pending some
> investigation about the javascript libraries or scripts used on
> github.com, it's tentatively seen as "reluctantly acceptable" to
> host GNU software there.
>
> A few people spoke highly in favor of gitlab, but I'm not familiar
> with them so I can't say anything one way or the other.

GitLab (like GitHub) does not run on free software.  They have some
"community" version of their software freely available at least.
Gitorious was "eating its own dog food" with regard to running on their
free software version, but they have just been acquired by GitLab, and
due to licensing differences, Gitorious software will not be mixed with
either version of GitLab.  So the outlook for further company
development of Gitorious is somewhat dim.

Now Savannah is running on a continuation of the last free version of
SourceForge if I remember correctly, so that would not be a real
showstopper for picking up there.

But the situation overall is a nuisance.

> In addition to moving the issues, the "issue handling" scripts would
> need to be updated.  Things like git-cl, patchy, and the whole
> patch-submission system.  That will be a non-trivial effort.

You bet.  It would appear like Rietveld will stick around for longer,
but of course moving away from this Subversion-centric piece of our
infrastructure would also make sense.  But at least we have a different
time frame for that.

Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

Trevor Daniels

David Kastrup wrote Friday, March 13, 2015 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

> Graham Percival <[hidden email]> writes:

>> In addition to moving the issues, the "issue handling" scripts would
>> need to be updated.  Things like git-cl, patchy, and the whole
>> patch-submission system.  That will be a non-trivial effort.
>
> You bet.  It would appear like Rietveld will stick around for longer,
> but of course moving away from this Subversion-centric piece of our
> infrastructure would also make sense.  But at least we have a different
> time frame for that.

AFAIK the issues database and associated comments are the only
part of Google Code that we, the LilyPond community, use.  It is
vital we don't lose this.

Two questions:

(a) how do we take a copy of this data base to keep it safe,
    including all the follow-up discussions?  Making a CSV
    copy just seems to download the index.

(b) Is Google Code open-source or proprietary?

Trevor

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote Friday, March 13, 2015 11:51 AM
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down
>

>> Graham Percival <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>>> In addition to moving the issues, the "issue handling" scripts would
>>> need to be updated.  Things like git-cl, patchy, and the whole
>>> patch-submission system.  That will be a non-trivial effort.
>>
>> You bet.  It would appear like Rietveld will stick around for longer,
>> but of course moving away from this Subversion-centric piece of our
>> infrastructure would also make sense.  But at least we have a different
>> time frame for that.

Rietveld is open source

 https://cloud.google.com/appengine/articles/rietveld

that said, it is not very reliable or oriented towards git. Most of
the git work at google (eg. Android) today actually uses Gerrit, which
a Git-only code review system which is more reliable and performant.
Gerrit is open-source, and GNU/FSF could host an instance too.

There are hosted versions of these as well, eg. http://gerrithub.io/

> AFAIK the issues database and associated comments are the only
> part of Google Code that we, the LilyPond community, use.  It is
> vital we don't lose this.
>
> Two questions:
>
> (a) how do we take a copy of this data base to keep it safe,
>     including all the follow-up discussions?  Making a CSV
>     copy just seems to download the index.

have a look at

https://code.google.com/p/support-tools/wiki/IssueExporterTool

> (b) Is Google Code open-source or proprietary?

It's proprietary. It runs on a host of Google production technologies,
such as Bigtable, to be able to scale, and integrates with a bunch of
other technologies (Google login, e-mail, etc.)

Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

Trevor Daniels
Han-Wen, you wrote Friday, March 13, 2015 1:45 PM

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> (a) how do we take a copy of this data base to keep it safe,
>>     including all the follow-up discussions?  Making a CSV
>>     copy just seems to download the index.
>
> have a look at
>
> https://code.google.com/p/support-tools/wiki/IssueExporterTool

That is quite useful, thanks.  I've exported the LilyPond Issues
DB to a JSON file on my laptop.  5Mb.  It seems complete as far
as the text goes, but images do not seem to be included, as least
for the one issue I've inspected in detail (Issue 4005).  All
the JSON file says for the image is:

            "attachments" : [ {
              "attachmentId" : "40050007000",
              "fileName" : "Screenshot.png",
              "fileSize" : 137527,
              "mimetype" : "image/png"
            } ]

but I don't see any attachments anywhere in the download.

Trevor

"Trevor Daniels" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Han-Wen, you wrote Friday, March 13, 2015 1:45 PM
>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Two questions:
>>>
>>> (a) how do we take a copy of this data base to keep it safe,
>>>     including all the follow-up discussions?  Making a CSV
>>>     copy just seems to download the index.
>>
>> have a look at
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/support-tools/wiki/IssueExporterTool
>
> That is quite useful, thanks.  I've exported the LilyPond Issues
> DB to a JSON file on my laptop.  5Mb.  It seems complete as far
> as the text goes, but images do not seem to be included, as least
> for the one issue I've inspected in detail (Issue 4005).  All
> the JSON file says for the image is:
>
>             "attachments" : [ {
>               "attachmentId" : "40050007000",
>               "fileName" : "Screenshot.png",
>               "fileSize" : 137527,
>               "mimetype" : "image/png"
>             } ]
>
> but I don't see any attachments anywhere in the download.

5Mb would certainly not cut it for including the attachments: they
were/are sort of a running quota problem.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Trevor Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> have a look at
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/support-tools/wiki/IssueExporterTool
>
> That is quite useful, thanks.  I've exported the LilyPond Issues
> DB to a JSON file on my laptop.  5Mb.  It seems complete as far
> as the text goes, but images do not seem to be included, as least
> for the one issue I've inspected in detail (Issue 4005).  All
> the JSON file says for the image is:
>
>             "attachments" : [ {
>               "attachmentId" : "40050007000",
>               "fileName" : "Screenshot.png",
>               "fileSize" : 137527,
>               "mimetype" : "image/png"
>             } ]
>
> but I don't see any attachments anywhere in the download.

I'll send mail to the folks handling this to mention this, but you can
do it manually:

You can extract the attachments from the HTML sources:

wget --quiet -O-
'https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4316'|grep
/attach>att.txt

$ grep 2-19-16.png att.txt|head -1

this is the URL, minus the protocol part. For some reason, the & in
the URL has been escaped.

$ wget $(echo  'https://lilypond.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=43160000000&amp;name=atest-2-19-16.png&amp;token=ABZ6GAeDaPOMP8ZuFedDBpB7Z3xy01aM0g%3A1426334055154&amp;inline=1'
| sed 's/&amp;/\&/g')
--2015-03-14 13:00:10--
https://lilypond.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=43160000000&name=atest-2-19-16.png&token=ABZ6GAeDaPOMP8ZuFedDBpB7Z3xy01aM0g%3A1426334055154&inline=1
Resolving lilypond.googlecode.com (lilypond.googlecode.com)...
74.125.136.82, 2a00:1450:4013:c01::52
Connecting to lilypond.googlecode.com
(lilypond.googlecode.com)|74.125.136.82|:443... connected.
Length: 1749 (1.7K) [image/png]
Saving to: ‘attachment?aid=43160000000&name=atest-2-19-16.png&token=ABZ6GAeDaPOMP8ZuFedDBpB7Z3xy01aM0g%3A1426334055154&inline=1’

attachment?aid=43160000000&name=atest-2-19-
100%[=============================================================================================>]
  1.71K  --.-KB/s   in 0s

2015-03-14 13:00:11 (24.3 MB/s) -
‘attachment?aid=43160000000&name=atest-2-19-16.png&token=ABZ6GAeDaPOMP8ZuFedDBpB7Z3xy01aM0g%3A1426334055154&inline=1’
saved [1749/1749]

You can loop over the issues (4000-something), extract a ID => URL
mapping and then download them. If you do this, you may need to rate
limit this so you don't get anti-robot captchas.

> Trevor

Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

Joseph Rushton Wakeling
On 13/03/15 12:51, David Kastrup wrote:

> GitLab (like GitHub) does not run on free software.  They have some
> "community" version of their software freely available at least.
> Gitorious was "eating its own dog food" with regard to running on their
> free software version, but they have just been acquired by GitLab, and
> due to licensing differences, Gitorious software will not be mixed with
> either version of GitLab.  So the outlook for further company
> development of Gitorious is somewhat dim.
>
> Now Savannah is running on a continuation of the last free version of
> SourceForge if I remember correctly, so that would not be a real
> showstopper for picking up there.
>
> But the situation overall is a nuisance.

Might be worth keeping a weather eye on Launchpad, as this is free software and
is currently in the process of gaining git support:
https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git

It's been a while since I last used it, but it has a nice combination of issue
tracking, code review and hosting features.  AFAICS it'll also support file
attachments to issues, so should be able to support copying the .png's from
Lilypond's current issue tracker.

Re: Google Code shutting down

Werner LEMBERG

>> But the situation overall is a nuisance.
>
> Might be worth keeping a weather eye on Launchpad, as this is free
> software and is currently in the process of gaining git support:
> https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git

Interesting!

> It's been a while since I last used it, but it has a nice
> combination of issue tracking, code review and hosting features.
> AFAICS it'll also support file attachments to issues, so should be
> able to support copying the .png's from Lilypond's current issue
> tracker.

While I don't like bzr, the launchpad interface for reporting bugs and
the like looks OK to me.  So yes, this is a possible solution.

    Werner

Re: Google Code shutting down

James Lowe
hello,

On 09/04/15 16:10, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> But the situation overall is a nuisance.
>> Might be worth keeping a weather eye on Launchpad, as this is free
>> software and is currently in the process of gaining git support:
>> https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git
> Interesting!
>
>> It's been a while since I last used it, but it has a nice
>> combination of issue tracking, code review and hosting features.
>> AFAICS it'll also support file attachments to issues, so should be
>> able to support copying the .png's from Lilypond's current issue
>> tracker.
> While I don't like bzr, the launchpad interface for reporting bugs and
> the like looks OK to me.  So yes, this is a possible solution.
>

>      Werner

I think this has already been mentioned but just to chip in that it
isn't just about reviewing patches, patches have to be tested too. While
I can (and have) done manual patch testing in the past before the patchy
scripts were created - it does add significant amounts of time on my
part to test patches this way and would mean that the times during a
given day of the week when I could test any random new patch (or three)
would be severely reduced.

Just sayin'

James

Re: Google Code shutting down

Werner LEMBERG
>> While I don't like bzr, the launchpad interface for reporting bugs and
>> the like looks OK to me.  So yes, this is a possible solution.
>
> I think this has already been mentioned but just to chip in that it
> isn't just about reviewing patches, patches have to be tested too.
> While I can (and have) done manual patch testing in the past before
> the patchy scripts were created - it does add significant amounts of
> time on my part to test patches this way and would mean that the
> times during a given day of the week when I could test any random
> new patch (or three) would be severely reduced.

So the question is whether Launchpad has a usable API, right?  Joseph,
do you know more?c

    Werner

On 10/04/15 09:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> While I don't like bzr, the launchpad interface for reporting bugs and
>>> the like looks OK to me.  So yes, this is a possible solution.
>>
>> I think this has already been mentioned but just to chip in that it
>> isn't just about reviewing patches, patches have to be tested too.
>> While I can (and have) done manual patch testing in the past before
>> the patchy scripts were created - it does add significant amounts of
>> time on my part to test patches this way and would mean that the
>> times during a given day of the week when I could test any random
>> new patch (or three) would be severely reduced.
>
> So the question is whether Launchpad has a usable API, right?  Joseph,
> do you know more?c

It's certainly possible to do automated testing with Launchpad, but I'm afraid I
don't know any firm details.  I have asked a question via AskUbuntu that will
hopefully result in some productive answers:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/608379/how-do-i-add-automatic-testing-of-merge-proposals-to-a-launchpad-project

... and the Launchpad API docs are here:
https://help.launchpad.net/API

I did also find the following blog post on integrating Jenkins and Launchpad,
but it's not really detailed enough to be useful:
https://qualityhour.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/continuous-integration-with-jenkins-and-launchpad/

I'll keep looking into it and let you know when I have any more directly useful
info (I have limited internet access at the moment, so not able to chase up on
this as readily as I'd like).

Re: Google Code shutting down

Joseph Rushton Wakeling
On 10/04/15 09:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> So the question is whether Launchpad has a usable API, right?  Joseph,
> do you know more?c

Just to follow up on this, I exchanged a few messages on Reddit with Colin
Watson (who's leading the git-support effort) following this announcement:
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/git-code-hosting-beta

Looks like right now, git hosting is available in beta version, but webooks
(e.g. to trigger automated testing) are not yet.  Colin's expectation was that
these would arrive soon, but for obvious reasons he wasn't willing to provide a
concrete ETA.

I'm going on the assumption that, with fully featured git support fully in
place, Launchpad could host code, and handle both issue tracking and the review
of merge requests (including automated testing); its issues allow the attachment
of files (which ought to take care of Lilypond examples attached to issues, but
I'd need to check that any file size limits meet Lilypond's issue requirements).

However, I'd like to be sure I'm not missing any requirements, given Lilypond's
rather particular needs. Any chance someone with a more detailed understanding
of requirements than me could prepare a list of "must have" features for any new
hosting service?  Just something that I can run past launchpad folks on IRC or
suchlike as a sanity-check that this really would be a workable solution.

Re: Google Code shutting down

Phil Holmes
> On 10/04/15 09:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> So the question is whether Launchpad has a usable API, right?  Joseph,
>> do you know more?c
>
> Just to follow up on this, I exchanged a few messages on Reddit with Colin
> Watson (who's leading the git-support effort) following this announcement:
> http://blog.launchpad.net/general/git-code-hosting-beta
>
> Looks like right now, git hosting is available in beta version, but
> webooks (e.g. to trigger automated testing) are not yet.  Colin's
> expectation was that these would arrive soon, but for obvious reasons he
> wasn't willing to provide a concrete ETA.
>
> I'm going on the assumption that, with fully featured git support fully in
> place, Launchpad could host code, and handle both issue tracking and the
> review of merge requests (including automated testing); its issues allow
> the attachment of files (which ought to take care of Lilypond examples
> attached to issues, but I'd need to check that any file size limits meet
> Lilypond's issue requirements).
>
> However, I'd like to be sure I'm not missing any requirements, given
> Lilypond's rather particular needs. Any chance someone with a more
> detailed understanding of requirements than me could prepare a list of
> "must have" features for any new hosting service?  Just something that I
> can run past launchpad folks on IRC or suchlike as a sanity-check that
> this really would be a workable solution.

I'd be willing to start a draft "requirements for issue handling" document
tomorrow, if no-one else is desperate.

--
Phil Holmes

Re: Google Code shutting down

Carl Sorensen-3
On 5/3/15 8:33 AM, "Joseph Rushton Wakeling"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 10/04/15 09:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> So the question is whether Launchpad has a usable API, right?  Joseph,
>> do you know more?c
>
>Just to follow up on this, I exchanged a few messages on Reddit with
>Colin
>Watson (who's leading the git-support effort) following this announcement:
>http://blog.launchpad.net/general/git-code-hosting-beta
>
>Looks like right now, git hosting is available in beta version, but
>webooks
>(e.g. to trigger automated testing) are not yet.  Colin's expectation was
>that
>these would arrive soon, but for obvious reasons he wasn't willing to
>provide a
>concrete ETA.

In searching around on Savannah's page, I found InDefero
http://www.indefero.net/ which claims to be an open-source lightweight
copy of Google Code.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there are any
publicly available hosting sites using it, so it may be somewhat
challenging to test it.

Thanks,

Carl

Re: Google Code shutting down

Trevor Daniels

Carl Sorensen wrote Monday, May 04, 2015 4:48 AM

> In searching around on Savannah's page, I found InDefero
> http://www.indefero.net/ which claims to be an open-source lightweight
> copy of Google Code.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there are any
> publicly available hosting sites using it, so it may be somewhat
> challenging to test it.

This would have been ideal, but AFAICS it is virtually moribund, and I suspect unfinished.  Certainly there was little activity during the last year, the last being about Nov 2014.  I guess it lost support due to Google Code being freely available.  Maybe it will revive now Google Code is dying?  But it looks some way from a fully working, reliable system.  For example, I can find little useful documentation beyond the source code.

Trevor

1234