Frescobaldi distribution packages

Andrew Bernard
Am I right in supposing that 2.20.0 is the now stable version? I
notice that, for example, installing Frescobaldi on OpenSuse Leap 15
installs 2.18.2 together with it. Should these system packages now use
2.20.0 instead? That would be a good way to get people off the old
versions, for those newly setting up.

How does lilypond get into distribution repositories anyway? Is there
any thing I can do to help in this regard?

It's not a big deal as it is trivial to install 2.20.0 and get
Frescobaldi to use that. But it seems to more 2.18.2 is, in a way,
deprecated, or at least not one's first choice now.

Re: Frescobaldi distribution packages

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno mer 22 apr 2020 alle 15:22, Andrew Bernard
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> How does lilypond get into distribution repositories anyway? Is there
> any thing I can do to help in this regard?

You may ask the distro maintainer to upgrade the package.

In Fedora, lilypond 2.20 is currently available in rawhide (33), but I
guess it will be available soon in 32 as soon as it passes from beta to
stable.
Same for Debian, I see 2.20 in testing:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lilypond

Re: Frescobaldi distribution packages

James Lowe-9
Hello On 22/04/2020 06:22, Andrew Bernard wrote:

> Am I right in supposing that 2.20.0 is the now stable version? I
> notice that, for example, installing Frescobaldi on OpenSuse Leap 15
> installs 2.18.2 together with it. Should these system packages now use
> 2.20.0 instead? That would be a good way to get people off the old
> versions, for those newly setting up.
>
> How does lilypond get into distribution repositories anyway? Is there
> any thing I can do to help in this regard?
>
> It's not a big deal as it is trivial to install 2.20.0 and get
> Frescobaldi to use that. But it seems to more 2.18.2 is, in a way,
> deprecated, or at least not one's first choice now.

While I cannot speak for Frescobaldi, a general problem of LilyPond has
been that the Guile (version 1.8) that was required for 2.18 (and pretty
much all of 2.19 if not still 2.20) was finally deprecated such that
most distributions had to remove LP because of that - at least that was
how I, as a non-developer, understood it. This meant that LP had to be
removed or packaged with its own version of Guile which was a problem
for maintainers generally.

I am not sure what the current state of Guile packaging/support is with
LP 2.20 and the various distributions and I am sure that others who know
more can chime on or correct me if I was wrong.

But I think that was the gist of it right?

James

Re: Frescobaldi distribution packages

Joram Noeck
Ubuntu 20.04 will come with LilyPond 2.20. Older releases are usually
not updated after the release and will keep 2.18. Ubuntu 2.20 will
probably be released tomorrow.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/lilypond

Frescobaldi will be 3.0.0 and not the latest 3.1.2:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/frescobaldi

Cheers,
Joram