Frenched score and instrumentName.

Hwaen Ch'uqi
Greetings all,

I am working on an orchestral score in which not all instruments begin
together; hence, I would like to produce a Frenched score. Is there a
way to redefine instrumentName such that, in combination with
\RemoveAllEmptyStaves, the full name is printed when the part actually
appears in the score? Currently, instrumentName seems only to print at
the first system, so if there is no music in a particular part, the
long instrument name never appears. I would be grateful for any
advice.

Hwaen Ch'uqi

Re: Frenched score and instrumentName.

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Hwaen Ch’uqi,

> I am working on an orchestral score in which not all instruments begin
> together; hence, I would like to produce a Frenched score. Is there a
> way to redefine instrumentName such that, in combination with
> \RemoveAllEmptyStaves, the full name is printed when the part actually
> appears in the score? Currently, instrumentName seems only to print at
> the first system, so if there is no music in a particular part, the
> long instrument name never appears.

shortInstrumentName

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Re: Frenched score and instrumentName.

Hwaen Ch'uqi
Greetings Kieren,

Yes, I had considered that but had hoped that there would be a
smoother solution that would not then require me to change
shortInstrumentName for each part to reflect the desired abbreviations
to follow. But no matter; this is to me an insignificant hiccup in a
program that I otherwise simply adore! Thank you for your reply.

Hwaen Ch'uqi

On 5/31/17, Kieren MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hwaen Ch’uqi,
>
>> I am working on an orchestral score in which not all instruments begin
>> together; hence, I would like to produce a Frenched score. Is there a
>> way to redefine instrumentName such that, in combination with
>> \RemoveAllEmptyStaves, the full name is printed when the part actually
>> appears in the score? Currently, instrumentName seems only to print at
>> the first system, so if there is no music in a particular part, the
>> long instrument name never appears.
>
> shortInstrumentName
>
> Hope this helps!
> Kieren.
> ________________________________
>
> Kieren MacMillan, composer
> ‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
> ‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: Frenched score and instrumentName.

Jean-Charles Malahieude-2
Le 01/06/2017 à 03:01, Hwaen Ch'uqi a écrit :
> Greetings Kieren,
>
> Yes, I had considered that but had hoped that there would be a
> smoother solution that would not then require me to change
> shortInstrumentName for each part to reflect the desired abbreviations
> to follow.

You can type

\once \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = #"Long instrument name"

at the appropriate place, and even use a \tag #'FullScore to have it
only appear there.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles