Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Rafael Fontenelle
In the below paragraph of http://lilypond.org/freedom.html

" “Gift culture”: the Free Software movement has created many great
software projects, such as GNU/Linux, Mozilla Firefox, and Battle for
Wesnoth. Having benefitted from these projects, some developers want
to “give back” to the community. "

"GNU/Linux" is a link to http://kernel.org, which is not correct
because GNU is the system and Linux is the kernel (more info[1]). How
about have "GNU" as a link to http://www.gnu.org and "Linux" as a link
to http://kernel.org?

[1] https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Best regards,
Rafael Fontenelle

Re: Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno gio 26 lug 2018 alle 8:20, Rafael Fontenelle
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> In the below paragraph of http://lilypond.org/freedom.html
>
> " “Gift culture”: the Free Software movement has created many
> great
> software projects, such as GNU/Linux, Mozilla Firefox, and Battle for
> Wesnoth. Having benefitted from these projects, some developers want
> to “give back” to the community. "
>
> "GNU/Linux" is a link to http://kernel.org, which is not correct
> because GNU is the system and Linux is the kernel (more info[1]). How
> about have "GNU" as a link to http://www.gnu.org and "Linux" as a link
> to http://kernel.org?
>
> [1] https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

I agree that the link should be changed.

However, [GNU](gnu.org) is already linked in that page.
kernel.org is a "technical" page.

I'd rather link to a page which is about GNU/Linux distros. As LilyPond
is a GNU project, I would use
[GNU/Linux](https://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.html).

What do you think?

Re: Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

David Kastrup
Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> writes:

> Il giorno gio 26 lug 2018 alle 8:20, Rafael Fontenelle
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> In the below paragraph of http://lilypond.org/freedom.html
>>
>> " “Gift culture”: the Free Software movement has created many great
>> software projects, such as GNU/Linux, Mozilla Firefox, and Battle for
>> Wesnoth. Having benefitted from these projects, some developers want
>> to “give back” to the community. "
>>
>> "GNU/Linux" is a link to http://kernel.org, which is not correct
>> because GNU is the system and Linux is the kernel (more info[1]). How
>> about have "GNU" as a link to http://www.gnu.org and "Linux" as a link
>> to http://kernel.org?
>>
>> [1] https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>>

> I agree that the link should be changed.
>
> However, [GNU](gnu.org) is already linked in that page.
> kernel.org is a "technical" page.
>
> I'd rather link to a page which is about GNU/Linux distros. As
> LilyPond is a GNU project, I would use
> [GNU/Linux](https://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.html).
>
> What do you think?

I like that better than linking to a specific distribution (like Debian
GNU/Linux).  And I'd find it awkward to link the two halves of GNU/Linux
to different pages.  And overly educational to link to GNU's "Why
GNU/Linux" treatise.

Re: Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Rafael Fontenelle
Em qui, 26 de jul de 2018 às 12:41, Federico Bruni
<[hidden email]> escreveu:

> I'd rather link to a page which is about GNU/Linux distros. As LilyPond
> is a GNU project, I would use
> [GNU/Linux](https://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.html).
>
> What do you think?

Looks good to me!

Rafael Fontenelle

Re: Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno gio 26 lug 2018 alle 18:37, Rafael Fontenelle
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Em qui, 26 de jul de 2018 às 12:41, Federico Bruni
> <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>>
>>  I'd rather link to a page which is about GNU/Linux distros. As
>> LilyPond
>>  is a GNU project, I would use
>>  [GNU/Linux](https://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.html).
>>
>>  What do you think?
>>

> Looks good to me!

Rafael, let me know if you find other issues while translating the
website and I'll add them to issue #5392.

Thanks
Federico

Re: Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Rafael Fontenelle
Hello, Federico

Em sex, 27 de jul de 2018 às 01:57, Federico Bruni
<[hidden email]> escreveu:

> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5392/
>
> Rafael, let me know if you find other issues while translating the
> website and I'll add them to issue #5392.

My translation was already committed. Maybe it is time to apply
changes of #5392 ?

Best regards,
Rafael Fontenelle

Re: Freedom page links kernel.org as GNU/Linux

Federico Bruni-2

Il giorno ven 17 ago 2018 alle 2:14, Rafael Fontenelle
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hello, Federico
>
> Em sex, 27 de jul de 2018 às 01:57, Federico Bruni
> <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>>
>>  https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5392/
>>
>>  Rafael, let me know if you find other issues while translating the
>>  website and I'll add them to issue #5392.
>>

> My translation was already committed. Maybe it is time to apply
> changes of #5392 ?

I will do it next week