Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean-3
Two questions in typesetting a piece by Haydn:
1. Does Fz needs to be defined (unlike sfz)?
2. where should
fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")
be placed in order not to generate an error?

Mike Dean

Mike Dean

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean <[hidden email]> writes:

> Two questions in typesetting a piece by Haydn:
> 1. Does Fz needs to be defined (unlike sfz)?
> 2. where should
> fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")
> be placed in order not to generate an error?
>
> C:/Users/Mike
> Dean/AppData/Local/Temp/frescobaldi-lis_ksvl/tmpgdr3w9ef/J-Haydn-Minuet in
> C-correct.ly:14:1 <0>: error: not a note name: fz
>

> fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")

Well, apparently line 14 in your file is not a good place.  Since you
don't show any other line, it's hard to say anything just why it is not
a good place.

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean-3
Having stumbled across entering in \fz directly, I didn't explore any further using #(make-dynamic-script).
But since you mentioned, looking at examples in the Notation manual, I understood that it should go before  the relative command.
Precisely, I had this sequence:
\score {
 fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")
\relative c''{
\tempo "Allegretto"
\time 3/4
\partial 4

and that is what generated the error
Mike Dean

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:32 AM David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Dean <[hidden email]> writes:

> Two questions in typesetting a piece by Haydn:
> 1. Does Fz needs to be defined (unlike sfz)?
> 2. where should
> fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")
> be placed in order not to generate an error?
>
> C:/Users/Mike
> Dean/AppData/Local/Temp/frescobaldi-lis_ksvl/tmpgdr3w9ef/J-Haydn-Minuet in
> C-correct.ly:14:1 <0>: error: not a note name: fz
>

> fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")

Well, apparently line 14 in your file is not a good place.  Since you
don't show any other line, it's hard to say anything just why it is not
a good place.

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Jacques Menu Muzhic
Hello Mike,

This works :

\version "2.20.0"

rf = #(make-dynamic-script "rf")

{ a \rf }

JM

Le 1 oct. 2020 à 19:43, Mike Dean <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Having stumbled across entering in \fz directly, I didn't explore any further using #(make-dynamic-script).
But since you mentioned, looking at examples in the Notation manual, I understood that it should go before  the relative command.
Precisely, I had this sequence:
\score {
 fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")
\relative c''{
\tempo "Allegretto"
\time 3/4
\partial 4

and that is what generated the error
Mike Dean

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:32 AM David Kastrup <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Dean <[hidden email]> writes:

> Two questions in typesetting a piece by Haydn:
> 1. Does Fz needs to be defined (unlike sfz)?
> 2. where should
> fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")
> be placed in order not to generate an error?
>
> C:/Users/Mike
> Dean/AppData/Local/Temp/frescobaldi-lis_ksvl/tmpgdr3w9ef/J-Haydn-Minuet in
> C-correct.ly:14:1 <0>: error: not a note name: fz
>

> fz = #(make-dynamic-script "fz")

Well, apparently line 14 in your file is not a good place.  Since you
don't show any other line, it's hard to say anything just why it is not
a good place.

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Carl Sorensen-3

Variables can only be defined at top level, not inside a score.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/file-structure

Carl Sorensen

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean-3
Thanks, Carl, for the clarification..
Mark: I was coding (from memory) what was one of the Minuets in Hob.IX:8 ("12 Minuets for Clavecin or Pianoforte", as it turned out after a lot of spade work; I had thought to be a work by Mozart in his Divertimenti). Having obtained the sheet music, I was fixing up what I had coded earlier

Mike Dean

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:27 AM Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Variables can only be defined at top level, not inside a score.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/file-structure

Carl Sorensen

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Wols Lists
On 01/10/2020 19:27, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> Variables can only be defined at top level, not inside a score.
>
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/file-structure

I just shove all of this sort of stuff in an include file, and include
it at the top.

I've come across things like sffz and so on, so as I come across them
they go in this include file and they're there for next time I need them.

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean-3
\version 2.20
g'4 e8 c d b |
c4_\markup Fine r \bar ":|." \mark\markup{\musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata"}
}
 %End Minuet section
\break
\relative c''{
\time 3/4
\partial 4
\repeat volta 2 {
e8\mp \mark  "Trio" }

Not really sure how to get the fermata over the repeat bar line rather than over the clef on the next line ... I did figure out how to get the Trio mark
I'm also not sure where to put this override to remove the warning time signature (checking the snippet repository didn't give me any clues)
\once \overrideTimeSignatureSettings = ##(#f #t #t)

Mike Dean

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 2:00 PM antlists <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/10/2020 19:27, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> Variables can only be defined at top level, not inside a score.
>
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/file-structure

I just shove all of this sort of stuff in an include file, and include
it at the top.

I've come across things like sffz and so on, so as I come across them
they go in this include file and they're there for next time I need them.

Cheers,
Wol

JHaydn-Minuetpiano.pdf (96K) Download Attachment

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Wols Lists
On 03/10/2020 03:32, Mike Dean wrote:
> Not really sure how to get the fermata over the repeat bar line rather
> than over the clef on the next line

Isn't this the default behaviour of \uFermata and friends?

Sorry I can't from memory be more specific, but I know my battle with
fermatas was getting them to go over notes, rather than sticking
themselves ove barlines where they wanted to be ...

Oh - just noticed you said "on the next line" - which might be the
problem - it's put it over the "start" of the bar rather than the end.
That might be a fruitful line of enquiry ...

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Martín Rincón Botero
Mike, to make the fermata appear at the end of the line and not at the beginning of the next line try using \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility =
#begin-of-line-invisible before the \mark.

Cheers,
Martín.

the

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean-3
Martin: Perfect!!! Thanks
Now to hide the warning 3/4 before the start of the Trio (I can take the  \time 3/4
out, but that also takes out the time sig at the start of the Trio)....looking at the LSR did not give me anything to get a handle on
Mike Dean

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 2:08 AM Martín Rincón Botero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike, to make the fermata appear at the end of the line and not at the beginning of the next line try using \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility =
#begin-of-line-invisible before the \mark.

Cheers,
Martín.

the

the

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Robin Bannister-2
Mike Dean wrote:
> Now to hide the warning 3/4 before the start of the Trio (I can take the  \time
> 3/4
> out, but that also takes out the time sig at the start of the
> Trio)....looking at the LSR did not give me anything to get a handle on

Check out
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-06/msg00073.html

You may not need to bother with '\once'

Cheers,
Robin

Re: Forzando in Lilypond 2.20

Mike Dean-3
Robin: That worked (especially after putting it in each hand in the piano score. Thanks
Mike Dean