Force a bar number to appear

Phillip Kirlin
My apologies if this is a simple question to answer, but I recently upgraded to 2.6.1, and some of my 2.4.x files have their bar numbers disappearing, even when run through convert-ly.

The problem is that I want to force a bar number to appear in the first measure of the piece.  I'm typesetting an excerpt, so I want the output to include the bar number in the first measure, since it won't be "1".  When I changed the bar number in 2.4.x with

\set Score.currentBarNumber = #33

then "33" was automatically printed in the first measure.  But in the 2.6.x series, this bar number is not printed.  Convert-ly doesn't seem to know about this change.  So can someone let me know how to force the bar number to appear in the first measure of the piece?  I've read through the manual about the tweaks to force bar numbers at regular intervals and such, but none of those examples show bar numbers in the very first measure.

Thanks,
Phil Kirlin

Go Lilypond!

Re: Force a bar number to appear

Graham Percival

On 21-Jul-05, at 8:24 AM, Phillip Kirlin wrote:

> My apologies if this is a simple question to answer, but I recently
> upgraded to 2.6.1, and some of my 2.4.x files have their bar numbers
> disappearing, even when run through convert-ly.

This looks like a bug.

scm/output-lib.scm contains this line:
(define-public (default-bar-number-visibility barnum) (> barnum 1))

which suggests that the default _should_ print any bar number above 1
(at the beginning of the line).
I've CC'd this to bug-lilypond.

%%  should print bar number
\set Score.currentBarNumber = #33