Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

Carl Sorensen
I can't comment on the appropriateness of the makefile stuff.
Everything else looks good to me.

Does this match up with the Gonville font stuff that was included
earlier on the LSR?  We probably ought to put Gonville  and
lilyjazzchords in the same parent directory.

http://codereview.appspot.com/3972048/diff/1/input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly
File input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/3972048/diff/1/input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly#newcode4
input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly:4: texidoc = "A contemporary jazz
font style for chords is
should be ChordNames, not chords

http://codereview.appspot.com/3972048/

RE: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

pkx166h-2
Hello

No. the Documentation just tells you how to get to the website and download the files for yourself - instructions are all in the zip files that you download.

James

Re: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

Carl Sorensen-3

On 1/25/11 10:28 AM, "James Lowe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello

So the plan ought to be to get them together.  We shouldn't have a different
process for every different font.  Since Marc has tried to do it right,
let's integrate the Gonville stuff if we can.

Even if we can't distribute Gonville with LilyPond, we ought to have one
infrastructure for doing it instead of two, IMO.

See issues 870 and 1204 for requests related to this.

Thanks,

Carl

Re: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

Marc Hohl
Am 25.01.2011 20:23, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 1/25/11 10:28 AM, "James Lowe"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hello

This should be one of the next steps, but I am not sure about the copyright
issues that came with Gonville. The website states that the font itself is
completely free, but the sources are under MIT licence, whatever that means.

> Even if we can't distribute Gonville with LilyPond, we ought to have one
> infrastructure for doing it instead of two, IMO.
Yes, of course. I didn't take a closer look at the Gonville installation
routines yet,
so I'd be glad if someone who has already installed and worked with Gonville
would share his/her exeriences with me.
> See issues 870 and 1204 for requests related to this.
I think 797 is pointing in the same direction. Perhaps the Linux
Libertine is capable
of doing this job, the numbers for displaying fractions look very promising.
But this is indeed another issue ;-)

Regards,

Marc

Am 25.01.2011 18:05, schrieb [hidden email]:

> I can't comment on the appropriateness of the makefile stuff.
> Everything else looks good to me.
>
> Does this match up with the Gonville font stuff that was included
> earlier on the LSR?  We probably ought to put Gonville  and
> lilyjazzchords in the same parent directory.
>

> http://codereview.appspot.com/3972048/diff/1/input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly
>
> File input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/3972048/diff/1/input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly#newcode4
>
> input/regression/chords-jazz-font.ly:4: texidoc = "A contemporary jazz
> font style for chords is
> should be ChordNames, not chords
done.

> http://codereview.appspot.com/3972048/

RE: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

pkx166h-2
Marc,

I have (and still) used Gonville. For Windows I simply take the contents of the .zip file that is on the Gonville site and then I rename the

'...\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\share\lilypond\current\fonts' dir to 'fonts_orig' and move the fonts dir from the Gonville zip file to the same location, that way when I want to switch back I rename the two folders accordingly, nothing more is needed.

I do the same for Mac OS X (although it is slightly more convoluted because you have to use terminal.app than drag/drop and the $PATH is subtly different) and I am 'guessing' the principle for Linux is identical except he provides a script (on the website) that 'automates' the process, creates symlinks IIRC,  but I haven't used LilyPond on Linux to know for sure.

There are some 'missing' fonts from Gonville - which the owner states on his website - so that you cannot use it with Ancient Notation for example and I think some other glyphs may not be available, I haven't tried to the run the reg tests with Gonville to see.  I wouldn't really know how to go about incorporating this into our source tree else I'd offer to help.

I'd contact the author directly. Last year when I helped write what documentation we have on it in our NR, and he was very helpful, and patient with me. I am sure he would be flattered that his font could be in the main source.

James

Re: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

Simon Tatham
[[hidden email] removed from cc-list on the
grounds that I doubt this is any longer on-topic for any actual code
review]

James Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[Gonville]
> I'd contact the author directly. Last year when I helped write what
> documentation we have on it in our NR, and he was very helpful, and patient
> with me. I am sure he would be flattered that his font could be in the main
> source.

I'm actually still reading here, even if only intermittently. Hello :-)

Indeed, I would certainly be pleased to see Gonville shipped as
standard with Lilypond; at least one person I know has mentioned to
me that they like the font but are currently put off using it by the
horrible installation procedure.

Gonville's MIT licence is compatible with the GPL, so I don't see
any legal reason they _couldn't_ be shipped together. The bit about
having the 'compiled' OTF/TTF/PFB/etc form of the font be completely
unrestricted is primarily there for the convenience of people
incorporating it into PDFs who don't want to have to worry about the
font copyright as well as the music copyright. (If I remember
rightly, isn't there an exception in the licensing for Feta for the
same use case, to avoid GPL-contaminating users' output PDFs?)

Failing that, I'd still like to see it be possible to make the
Gonville installation procedure easier than the one I currently
document on the web page (of constructing a symlink mirror of the
Lilypond data directory with all the font files replaced, and
pointing LILYPOND_DATADIR at that directory).

I confess I haven't kept up with all this recently, but as I recall,
the situation last time I looked was that it was now possible to
drop one Gonville font file into the existing Lilypond fonts
directory and issue a directive in Lilypond source which switches
over _almost_ all the glyphs to that - but the parts of the font
that fit into normal ASCII (time signatures and dynamics) still
didn't switch, and couldn't be persuaded to switch by any means
short of the LILYPOND_DATADIR hack.

Is that still the situation? If the time signatures and dynamics are
now fixed, I'd be very happy to relegate the hacky approach to the
status of a historical horror and document a far simpler method that
works with modern Lilypond.

Cheers,
Simon
--
Simon Tatham         "infinite loop _see_ loop, infinite"
<[hidden email]>     - Index, Borland Pascal Language Guide