Folk songs scores / tabs

Alexandre Aractingi
Hi all,
Where can I find examples of scores of folk / pop songs (I just want
guitar chords written above the first verse and above the chorus, then
the other verses as simple text, and occasionally a guitar tab to print
out the intro).
I use jedit's Lilypond wizard and Lilypond 2.5.2 under Mandrake Linux
10.1.
Thanks for any hint!

--
Alexandre Aractingi <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Mats Bengtsson-6
Just use whatever template you prefer from section "3 Example
Templates" of the manual to typeset the first verse and then
combine it with the example called score-text.ly in the
Regression Tests document.

    /Mats

Alexandre Aractingi wrote:

> Hi all,
> Where can I find examples of scores of folk / pop songs (I just want
> guitar chords written above the first verse and above the chorus, then
> the other verses as simple text, and occasionally a guitar tab to print
> out the intro).
> I use jedit's Lilypond wizard and Lilypond 2.5.2 under Mandrake Linux
> 10.1.
> Thanks for any hint!

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Vincent-35
see the manual.

(sections 1.5 "Example applications", 3.1.4 "Notes, lyrics, and chords",
7.5.2 "Tablatures basic", etc may help)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:09:46 +0200, Alexandre Aractingi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Where can I find examples of scores of folk / pop songs (I just want
> guitar chords written above the first verse and above the chorus, then
> the other verses as simple text, and occasionally a guitar tab to print
> out the intro).
> I use jedit's Lilypond wizard and Lilypond 2.5.2 under Mandrake Linux
> 10.1.
> Thanks for any hint!

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Vincent-35
I think lilypond has not many tab specific features. only the ones stated
in the examples and the manual (tablature section) and a very few "faked"
features such as hammers using slurs (see tips and tricks section) and
(probably) arpeggio and glissando commands.

one dirty trick could be to use postscript commands inside a markup (using
\postscript) to draw whatever you want in the tab, but it requires (lots
of) patience and is not very functional...

greetings,

Vincent

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:06:57 +0200, Alexandre Aractingi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mardi 28 juin 2005 ? 14:50 +0200, VSD a ?crit :
>> see the manual.
>>
>> (sections 1.5 "Example applications", 3.1.4 "Notes, lyrics, and
>> chords",
>> 7.5.2 "Tablatures basic", etc may help)
>
> Thanks guys for the answers, it's getting better now.
> One last question: where in the doc can I find how to use specific
> (guitar) tabs effects (hammer, pulling-off etc). I saw them in a few
> examples but didn't find any reference...
> Thanks,

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Alexandre Aractingi
Le mercredi 29 juin 2005 à 16:08 +0200, VSD a écrit :
> I think lilypond has not many tab specific features. only the ones
> stated
> in the examples and the manual (tablature section) and a very few
> "faked"
> features such as hammers using slurs (see tips and tricks section)
> and
> (probably) arpeggio and glissando commands.

Thanks for your answer...
I actually tried the tips given in the "tips and tricks" section, but
they don't work in 2.6 (slurs)...
As for arpeggio and glissando, do you know where I can find how to do
them (even the faked ones)?
Thanks a lot,

--
Alexandre Aractingi <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Vincent-35
> I actually tried the tips given in the "tips and tricks" section, but
> they don't work in 2.6 (slurs)...

if an example from the documentation doesn't work, then report a bug to
bug-lilypond

> As for arpeggio and glissando, do you know where I can find how to do
> them (even the faked ones)?

in the manual :)

(but not applied to tablature, you'll have to figure out by yourself if
they even can be used in tabs, as they intended for normal notation)

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Alexandre Aractingi
Le jeudi 30 juin 2005 à 00:34 +0200, VSD a écrit :
> if an example from the documentation doesn't work, then report a bug
> bug-lilypond

It does work but it doesn't print tablatures at all:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/test/out-www/lily-1606542672.ly is
called "tablature-hammer.ly" but produces regular notes with Lily 6.0.
The example that was working is last stated in Lilypond v2.0 (!) :
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/test/out-www/lily-2064019733.png

I guess hammer-tab support was dropped, but I don't know if it was
intentional (why would it still be in the doc?)

Alexandre Aractingi <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Han-Wen Nienhuys
Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> It does work but it doesn't print tablatures at all:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/test/out-www/lily-1606542672.ly is
> called "tablature-hammer.ly" but produces regular notes with Lily 6.0.
> The example that was working is last stated in Lilypond v2.0 (!) :
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/test/out-www/lily-2064019733.png
>

> I guess hammer-tab support was dropped, but I don't know if it was
> intentional

The hammer-tab from 2.0 was a crude hack, which is why it has been
dropped. This feature is available for sponsored re-implementation.

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Forwarded to bug-lilypond

   /Mats

Alexandre Aractingi wrote:

> Le jeudi 30 juin 2005 à 00:34 +0200, VSD a écrit :
>
>>if an example from the documentation doesn't work, then report a bug
>>bug-lilypond
>

> It does work but it doesn't print tablatures at all:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/test/out-www/lily-1606542672.ly is
> called "tablature-hammer.ly" but produces regular notes with Lily 6.0.
> The example that was working is last stated in Lilypond v2.0 (!) :
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/test/out-www/lily-2064019733.png
>

> I guess hammer-tab support was dropped, but I don't know if it was
> intentional (why would it still be in the doc?)
>
> Regards,

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Alexandre Aractingi
Thanks.
And sorry to be such a dull reading the doc, but I have yet another
question: is it possible to enter tabs directly with numbers (instead of
actual notes)?
Thanks again for the kind help,
Alex

Le jeudi 30 juin 2005 à 13:44 +0200, Mats Bengtsson a écrit :

> Forwarded to bug-lilypond
>
>    /Mats
>
> Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> > Le jeudi 30 juin 2005 à 00:34 +0200, VSD a écrit :
> >
> >>if an example from the documentation doesn't work, then report a bug
> >>bug-lilypond
> >

> > It does work but it doesn't print tablatures at all:
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/input/test/out-www/lily-1606542672.ly is
> > called "tablature-hammer.ly" but produces regular notes with Lily 6.0.
> > The example that was working is last stated in Lilypond v2.0 (!) :
> > http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/test/out-www/lily-2064019733.png
> >

> > I guess hammer-tab support was dropped, but I don't know if it was
> > intentional (why would it still be in the doc?)
> >
> > Regards,

Alexandre Aractingi <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Folk songs scores / tabs

Vincent-35
> And sorry to be such a dull reading the doc,

no prob, but keep in mind that the documentation and the mailing lists
contain the vast majority of answers, although there always are some
issues that usually need to be solved with the help of others...

> question: is it possible to enter tabs directly with numbers (instead of
> actual notes)?

is not stated in the manual, so I guess no.

greetings,

Vincent