Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Alasdair McAndrew
I have a chord of two notes.  And I'd like to split it into two voices so that the top note's stem points up, and the bottom note's stem points down, and with a fingering, like this:

<<{\set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) <g-2>4}\\{c,4}>>

However, in Frescobaldi this throws the error "return code -1073741819".  I can voice it without a fingering, or within a single voice, so that either of these work:

<<g4\\c,4>>
\set fingeringOrientations = #'(left left) <g-2 c,>4

but voiced, and with a left-hand fingering, seems impossible.  What's annoying is that I was able to do exactly this a few bars ago.  So somehow something's happened in the last few bars which has thrown Lilypond off and is now causing an error.  But all the intervening bars compile without any errors or warnings.

Here's a picture of the last line so far:

marais_error.png
You'll see the correct output in the second beat of bar 92.  Also notice that in bar 91 there is a chord of five notes of which the top stem points up, the bottom stems down.  When I copied this into bar 95 I got the same error, so I had to put all notes into the same voice.

How can I find out what's causing this error?

Thanks very much,
Alasdair

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

David Wright
On Fri 11 Sep 2020 at 23:46:03 (+1000), Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> I have a chord of two notes.  And I'd like to split it into two voices so
> that the top note's stem points up, and the bottom note's stem points down,
> and with a fingering, like this:
>
> <<{\set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) <g-2>4}\\{c,4}>>
>
> However, in Frescobaldi this throws the error "return code -1073741819".  I
> can voice it without a fingering, or within a single voice, so that either
> of these work:
> […]

It's a bug in LP, I believe. If you have more editing to carry out on
the score, just plough on regardless and the error will probably
disappear. (Sorry to sound like 45. :) )

Convert -1073741819 to hex, and it translate into Access Violation,
ie reading/writing to an out-of-bounds address. Not easy to debug.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Andrew Bernard

Send me the file and I will look at it. As mentioned, a picture is a description but it's not code. Happy to help and check if we have something to work with.

It would be helpful to know platform, and lilypond version.

I know in these sort of cases often MWE"s make it hard to duplicate the issue, so the whole file by mail would allow me to check it. I have seen this before when people do voicing in idiosyncratic ways that are not syntactically wrong but can cause issues.

Andrew

On 11/09/2020 11:46 pm, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

Here's a picture of the last line so far:

marais_error.png
You'll see the correct output in the second beat of bar 92.  Also notice that in bar 91 there is a chord of five notes of which the top stem points up, the bottom stems down.  When I copied this into bar 95 I got the same error, so I had to put all notes into the same voice.

How can I find out what's causing this error?

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Carl Sorensen-3
You can follow the guidelines at
https://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html#:~:text=A%20tiny%20example%20demonstrates%20that,to%20understand%20what%20is%20happening.

These guidelines seem to be less than helpful, but they actually reflect good practice.  Following these guidelines has helped me many times to debug mistakes in my LilyPond code, as well as mistakes in LaTeX code (which has much worse error messages than LilyPond!).

Once you get used to doing this, it becomes quite easy.  And structuring your code to make it easy to do so will help you as well.

Thanks,

Carl

On 11/09/2020 11:46 pm, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

<snip>

How can I find out what's causing this error?

marais_error.png (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Alasdair McAndrew
Thanks David.

What a pain.  I've tried a few other things: to formally instantiate new voices with "voiceOne" and "voiceTwo", to include a "\relative" call - but it makes no difference.  Currently I seem to have run out of the ability in this current score of changing the fingering styles when having more than one voice.  The issue seems to be with the chord notation of fingering.  For example, standard fingering outside the staff works:

<<{g-2}\\c,>>

but the moment I try to change the position of the fingering, and enter

<<{<g-2>}\\c,>>

I get the error.  The same thing happens if I want a voice which includes a chord:

<<{<d' bf f>4}\\{<d bf>4}>>

This means that basically I can't include a chord in a new voice.  Is there a way of getting a more detailed log so that I could try to see what might be causing this error in my score?

Thanks again,
Alasdair

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:32 AM David Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri 11 Sep 2020 at 23:46:03 (+1000), Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
> I have a chord of two notes.  And I'd like to split it into two voices so
> that the top note's stem points up, and the bottom note's stem points down,
> and with a fingering, like this:
>
> <<{\set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) <g-2>4}\\{c,4}>>
>
> However, in Frescobaldi this throws the error "return code -1073741819".  I
> can voice it without a fingering, or within a single voice, so that either
> of these work:
> […]

It's a bug in LP, I believe. If you have more editing to carry out on
the score, just plough on regardless and the error will probably
disappear. (Sorry to sound like 45. :) )

Convert -1073741819 to hex, and it translate into Access Violation,
ie reading/writing to an out-of-bounds address. Not easy to debug.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Carl Sorensen-3

Tiny examples posted to the list would help.

You’ve only shared fragments, not tiny examples.

Carl

From: lilypond-user <lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=[hidden email]> on behalf of Alasdair McAndrew <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, September 11, 2020 at 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Thanks David.

What a pain.  I've tried a few other things: to formally instantiate new voices with "voiceOne" and "voiceTwo", to include a "\relative" call - but it makes no difference.  Currently I seem to have run out of the ability in this current score of changing the fingering styles when having more than one voice.  The issue seems to be with the chord notation of fingering.  For example, standard fingering outside the staff works:

<<{g-2}\\c,>>

but the moment I try to change the position of the fingering, and enter

<<{<g-2>}\\c,>>

I get the error.  The same thing happens if I want a voice which includes a chord:

<<{<d' bf f>4}\\{<d bf>4}>>

This means that basically I can't include a chord in a new voice.  Is there a way of getting a more detailed log so that I could try to see what might be causing this error in my score?

Thanks again,

Alasdair

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:32 AM David Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri 11 Sep 2020 at 23:46:03 (+1000), Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
> I have a chord of two notes.  And I'd like to split it into two voices so
> that the top note's stem points up, and the bottom note's stem points down,
> and with a fingering, like this:
>
> <<{\set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) <g-2>4}\\{c,4}>>
>
> However, in Frescobaldi this throws the error "return code -1073741819".  I
> can voice it without a fingering, or within a single voice, so that either
> of these work:
> […]

It's a bug in LP, I believe. If you have more editing to carry out on
the score, just plough on regardless and the error will probably
disappear. (Sorry to sound like 45. :) )

Convert -1073741819 to hex, and it translate into Access Violation,
ie reading/writing to an out-of-bounds address. Not easy to debug.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Alasdair McAndrew
It's got even worse.  Now I can barely do anything.  This bar:

f,-1 f'-3 f, f' g,-2 f' |

now causes that error - also without the fingerings.  I don't know what to do.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 11:48 AM Alasdair McAndrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks David.

What a pain.  I've tried a few other things: to formally instantiate new voices with "voiceOne" and "voiceTwo", to include a "\relative" call - but it makes no difference.  Currently I seem to have run out of the ability in this current score of changing the fingering styles when having more than one voice.  The issue seems to be with the chord notation of fingering.  For example, standard fingering outside the staff works:

<<{g-2}\\c,>>

but the moment I try to change the position of the fingering, and enter

<<{<g-2>}\\c,>>

I get the error.  The same thing happens if I want a voice which includes a chord:

<<{<d' bf f>4}\\{<d bf>4}>>

This means that basically I can't include a chord in a new voice.  Is there a way of getting a more detailed log so that I could try to see what might be causing this error in my score?

Thanks again,
Alasdair

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:32 AM David Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri 11 Sep 2020 at 23:46:03 (+1000), Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
> I have a chord of two notes.  And I'd like to split it into two voices so
> that the top note's stem points up, and the bottom note's stem points down,
> and with a fingering, like this:
>
> <<{\set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) <g-2>4}\\{c,4}>>
>
> However, in Frescobaldi this throws the error "return code -1073741819".  I
> can voice it without a fingering, or within a single voice, so that either
> of these work:
> […]

It's a bug in LP, I believe. If you have more editing to carry out on
the score, just plough on regardless and the error will probably
disappear. (Sorry to sound like 45. :) )

Convert -1073741819 to hex, and it translate into Access Violation,
ie reading/writing to an out-of-bounds address. Not easy to debug.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Fingerings within voiced chord throw an error (Lilypond 2.20.0)

Alasdair McAndrew
Just a follow up to say that (almost) all my problems have been resolved by moving from 32-bit Lilypond on Windows to 64-bit Lilypond on Linux.   Many thanks to all the kind folk who have helped me try to determine the causes.   Problems left are minor syntactical ones which I'll wrestle with quietly.  But the exit code error seems to have been caused by a memory issue on Windows.

Thank you all again,
Alasdair