in the illusion that it was that easy, I just compiled pango and installed
it before compiling lilypond. However, after a few of my own pieces were
translated by lilypond quite well, I tried to "make web". That failed when
pango tried to load the hebrew module.
I am too lazy to reproduce the exact error message, but it went something
like this: "Warning: dyld failed ..." and it said that there were multiple
definitions of a function in pango-hebrew-fc.so and pango-basic-fc.so.
After long searching (I have an old Mac OS X, therefore fink did not help
me), I found this: you have to configure pango in this manner: