Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Gianmaria Lari
Consider a simple code similar to the following one:

\version "2.19.82"
myVar = \fixed c' { a4 b c' a | a4 4 b c | b4 a b c' | ........
{\myVar}

This will generate a score containing *all* the notes specified in myVar.

Now, suppose that I don't want to generate all the notes in myVar but only the first 8 quarter notes (the first 2 bars) . Is there any function that can do it? something like "\extractMusic \myVar 4*4".

Thank you, g.

Re: Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Gianmaria Lari
I read my msg. and I found it not very clear. I hope this is a bit more clear:
Suppose I have a variable containing the following music expression:

{

a4 b4 c'4 d'4 |

b4 b4 a4 a4 |

c'4 b4 a4 b4 |

a4 a4 c'4 a4 |

c'4 b4 a4 c'4

}

How can I get only the first n quarters of the variable? Something like:

\extractMusic \myVar 4

that should generate

{

a4 b4 c'4 d'4 |

}

?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 00:16, Gianmaria Lari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Consider a simple code similar to the following one:

\version "2.19.82"
myVar = \fixed c' { a4 b c' a | a4 4 b c | b4 a b c' | ........
{\myVar}

This will generate a score containing *all* the notes specified in myVar.

Now, suppose that I don't want to generate all the notes in myVar but only the first 8 quarter notes (the first 2 bars) . Is there any function that can do it? something like "\extractMusic \myVar 4*4".

Thank you, g.

Re: Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Mark Knoop-4
At 00:16 on 15 Nov 2018, Gianmaria Lari wrote:

>Consider a simple code similar to the following one:
>
>\version "2.19.82"
>myVar = \fixed c' { a4 b c' a | a4 4 b c | b4 a b c' | ........
>{\myVar}
>

>This will generate a score containing *all* the notes specified in
>myVar.
>
>Now, suppose that I don't want to generate all the notes in myVar but
>only the first 8 quarter notes (the first 2 bars) . Is there any
>function that can do it? something like "\extractMusic \myVar 4*4".

There is indeed code available to do this.

http://gillesth.free.fr/Lilypond/extractMusic/

--
Mark Knoop

Re: Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Gianmaria Lari
Great Mark, thank you!!!

Strange that I didn't find this code in the LSR...

Ciao, g.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 08:54, Mark Knoop <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 00:16 on 15 Nov 2018, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
>Consider a simple code similar to the following one:
>
>\version "2.19.82"
>myVar = \fixed c' { a4 b c' a | a4 4 b c | b4 a b c' | ........
>{\myVar}
>

>This will generate a score containing *all* the notes specified in
>myVar.
>
>Now, suppose that I don't want to generate all the notes in myVar but
>only the first 8 quarter notes (the first 2 bars) . Is there any
>function that can do it? something like "\extractMusic \myVar 4*4".

There is indeed code available to do this.

http://gillesth.free.fr/Lilypond/extractMusic/

--
Mark Knoop

Re: Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Gianmaria Lari
>  Strange that I didn't find this code in the LSR...

No, that's not true. I didn't find it but it was there: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=542

Thank again Mark!
g.

Re: Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Gilles Thibault-2
Le 2018-11-15 09:17, Gianmaria Lari a écrit :

> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=542

For Lilypond 2.19.XX, you'll need this updated version :

http://gillesth.free.fr/Lilypond/extractMusic/2.19/extractMusic.ly

Note that there is a doc here :

http://gillesth.free.fr/Lilypond/extractMusic/extractMusic-doc.pdf

(well, probably in bad English, sorry for that)

--
Gilles

Re: Extract the first notes from a musical expression

Gianmaria Lari
Thank you Gilles!
g.