Extra documentation for "More Stanzas"

Cameron Horsburgh
I spent a good hour last night trying to figure out how to add extra
verses to the end of a piece I'm writing. It wasn't in the obvious place
in the docs, and I was only able to find something similar to what I
wanted in the Regression Tests.

This style of versification is very common in hymn books and I imagine
I'm not the first person to have had this problem! I also believe there
might be a better way of doing it--this seems very simple and further
\markup styles can't be applied. For example, I wanted to set the extra
verses into two columns and bold the verse number at the beginning,
which I don't seem to be able to do from within a string. Thoughts, anyone?

Anyway, here's an entry and example that might be appropriate for the
manual in section 7.3.8. If it's not so appropriate, I'll fire it off to
the LSR.

Cameron Horsburgh

Sometimes it's appropriate to have one stanza set to the music, and the
rest added in verse form at the end of the piece. This can be
accomplished by adding the extra verses into a \markup section outside
of the main score block. Notice that the lyrics need to have a double
paragraph space between individual lines.

\version "2.7.12"
melody = \relative c' {
  e d c d | e e e e |
  d d e d | c1 |
}

text = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1." Ma- ry had a lit- tle lamb,
  It's fleece was white as snow.
}

\score{
  <<
    \context Voice = one {
      \melody
    }
    \lyricsto "one" \new Lyrics \text

  \layout { }
}
\markup {
  \wordwrap-string #"
Verse 2.

All the children laughed and played

To see a lamb at school."
}

\markup{
  \wordwrap-string #"
Verse 3.

Mary took it home again,

It was against the rule."

Re: Extra documentation for "More Stanzas"

Graham Percival-2

On 6-Nov-05, at 8:37 PM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> I spent a good hour last night trying to figure out how to add extra
> verses to the end of a piece I'm writing. It wasn't in the obvious
> place
> in the docs, and I was only able to find something similar to what I
> wanted in the Regression Tests.

Thanks!  Sorry for the delay; this has been added to CVS.

Note that you can force linebreaks like this... it involves more
typing, but then you can do other \markup tricks.  I've included both
versions of setting the stanzas in the docs; users can pick which they
prefer.

\markup { \column{
   \line{ Verse 2.}
   \line{All the children laughed and played}
   \line{To see a lamb at school.}

Graham Percival wrote:

> On 6-Nov-05, at 8:37 PM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
>
>> I spent a good hour last night trying to figure out how to add extra
>> verses to the end of a piece I'm writing. It wasn't in the obvious place
>> in the docs, and I was only able to find something similar to what I
>> wanted in the Regression Tests.
>

> Thanks!  Sorry for the delay; this has been added to CVS.
>
> Note that you can force linebreaks like this... it involves more typing,
> but then you can do other \markup tricks.  I've included both versions
> of setting the stanzas in the docs; users can pick which they prefer.
>
> \markup { \column{
>   \line{ Verse 2.}
>   \line{All the children laughed and played}
>   \line{To see a lamb at school.}
>   }
> }
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Ooh! I like yours a lot more. I tried quite a few things, but that
wasn't one of them. I'd be quite happy for my version to be omitted from
the manual, if only in the interests of space and elegance!

Cameron