Extending beamed stems

Henrik Frisk-3
I posted a question a while ago but didn't get any feedback, probably because nobody understood my question ;)... I'll give it another try:

I want to extend a beamed stem so that it reaches beyond the beam, without changeing the position or angle of the beam. I want to do it for cross staff notes. I've figured out how to do it for unbeamed notes but can't seem to get it to work for beamed notes.

Thanx for any suggestions.

Henrik Frisk
[hidden email]
www.henrikfrisk.com

Re: Extending beamed stems

Daniel Johnson-2
henrikfr wrote:

>I posted a question a while ago but didn't get any feedback, probably because nobody understood my question ;)... I'll give it another try:
>
>I want to extend a beamed stem so that it reaches beyond the beam, without changeing the position or angle of the beam. I want to do it for cross staff notes. I've figured out how to do it for unbeamed notes but can't seem to get it to work for beamed notes.
>
>Thanx for any suggestions.

Do you have any scanned examples of what it is you're trying to do?
Also, what version of Lilypond are you running, and on what platform?

Re: Extending beamed stems

Henrik Frisk-3
Daniel Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> henrikfr wrote:
>
> >I posted a question a while ago but didn't get any feedback, probably because nobody understood my question ;)... I'll give it another try:
> >
> >I want to extend a beamed stem so that it reaches beyond the beam, without changeing the position or angle of the beam. I want to do it for cross staff notes. I've figured out how to do it for unbeamed notes but can't seem to get it to work for beamed notes.
> >
> >Thanx for any suggestions.
> >

> Do you have any scanned examples of what it is you're trying to do?
> Also, what version of Lilypond are you running, and on what platform?
I'm running lilypond 2.4.5 (fink installation) on OSX 10.3.9. Attached to this mail is an example. Although this bar works OK the way it is, I would have liked to beam it 1/4+1/8 rather than 1/8+1/8+1/8. Either by connecting the lower beam of the first 1/8 note group to the stem of the second eighth note (from a notation point of view this would be unorthodox since one of the note heads would end up on the wrong side of the stem). The other way would be to have the beam go below all notes on beat one and two (counting eihgth notes).

Here's the code for the bar:

  \time 3/8
  ges'''16~[ \revert Beam #'positions ges64 \change Staff=lower f,32. ] \change Staff=upper \stemExtend \noFlag ges'8-> \noBeam
  \acciaccatura { g32^\pedalc } \change Staff = lower b,,,32 [ \change Staff = upper f''~ f16~ ] |

And here are the \noFlag and \stemExtend:

noFlag = \once \override Stem #'flag-style = #'no-flag
stemExtend = \once \override Stem #'length = #32

...and attached is an image.

This is the first piece I do in LilyPond, so I'm not very experienced yet. Tahnks for any help.

/henrik

bar3.png (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Extending beamed stems

Daniel Johnson-2
Hmm.  This is a real puzzler, because even though the Beam object
implements the grob-interface, only certain grob properties have any
effect.  Specifically, I tried the following on a small test file and
they did nothing:

\once \override Voice.Beam #'X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
\once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-X-extent = #'(0 . 15)

Oddly enough, the following DID have an effect:
\once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 15)
but of course I can't really imagine any use for this.

Here's an idea:

1. Just beam from the first three notes over to the high G-flat.
2. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem
#'flag-style = #'no-flag, and do a \stemUp.
3. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override NoteColumn
#'force-hshift = #-1.  Adjust this value until the stem is aligned
perfectly with the stem of the note in the right hand.
4. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem #'length =
#12 or however long it needs to be to meet up with the beam.

I did my research out of the 2.5 manual, so your mileage may vary; but I
don't think there's anything especially late-breaking about any of the
features I used above.  The noteheads of the eighth-notes in the left &
right hands won't be horizontally aligned, but their stems will meet the
beam in the same place.  Is that acceptable?

--Daniel

Henrik Frisk wrote:

>I'm running lilypond 2.4.5 (fink installation) on OSX 10.3.9. Attached to this mail is an example. Although this bar works OK the way it is, I would have liked to beam it 1/4+1/8 rather than 1/8+1/8+1/8. Either by connecting the lower beam of the first 1/8 note group to the stem of the second eighth note (from a notation point of view this would be unorthodox since one of the note heads would end up on the wrong side of the stem). The other way would be to have the beam go below all notes on beat one and two (counting eihgth notes).
>
>Here's the code for the bar:
>
>  \time 3/8
>  ges'''16~[ \revert Beam #'positions ges64 \change Staff=lower f,32. ] \change Staff=upper \stemExtend \noFlag ges'8-> \noBeam
>  \acciaccatura { g32^\pedalc } \change Staff = lower b,,,32 [ \change Staff = upper f''~ f16~ ] |
>
>And here are the \noFlag and \stemExtend:
>
>noFlag = \once \override Stem #'flag-style = #'no-flag
>stemExtend = \once \override Stem #'length = #32
>
>...and attached is an image.
>
>This is the first piece I do in LilyPond, so I'm not very experienced yet. Tahnks for any help.
>
>/henrik

Re: Extending beamed stems

David Raleigh Arnold
On Tuesday 21 June 2005 06:59 pm, Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Daniel Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > henrikfr wrote:
> >
> > >I posted a question a while ago but didn't get any feedback,
probably because nobody understood my question ;)... I'll give it
another try:

> > >I want to extend a beamed stem so that it reaches beyond the beam,
without changeing the position or angle of the beam. I want to do it
for cross staff notes. I've figured out how to do it for unbeamed notes
but can't seem to get it to work for beamed notes.

> > >Thanx for any suggestions.

You can't have a quarter and an eighth on the same stem.

There are two ways of noting the quarter.  Give it it's own note head
and shift it to the left a bit, or put another stem on the same note
head in the opposite direction.  For keyboard music it is ok to have
two note heads for the same note. (Not necessarily ok for strings) No
matter how the stem be extended, it still takes its time value from
the beam/beams attached to it.  An "extended" stem is just that.  It
is not a quarter note stem.  To have a quarter you need another stem,
or a rest, will he nill he.

There is a rule here.  You can't have more than one time value note
head on the same stem.  Of course you can have more than one time
value stem on the same note head, even different colors, but they have
to be separate stems and therefore in opposite directions.

So the problem is that if you get what you want, and you
can, simply by putting the quarter in another voice, it won't
indicate what you want it to indicate.  Hope this helps. daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.

Re: Extending beamed stems

Henrik Frisk
Your suggested solution seems to be the way to do it. I tried it quickly, but the NoteColumn #'force-hshift didn't do anything. Now, that may be because I am not using the 2.5 yet and i didn't start looking in the manual for a way to achieve this in 2.4. I will upgrade and try again and in any event, you have pointed me in the right direction, and I am sure i will be able to find out. I am still curious to find out why the Voice.Beam #'X-extent and Voice.Beam #'extra-offset doesn't have any effect. This was what I tried at first. Anybody knows why me and Daniel are unsuccessful in getting the desired effect?

Daniel Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm.  This is a real puzzler, because even though the Beam object
> implements the grob-interface, only certain grob properties have any
> effect.  Specifically, I tried the following on a small test file and
> they did nothing:
>
> \once \override Voice.Beam #'X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
> \once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
>
> Oddly enough, the following DID have an effect:
> \once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 15)
> but of course I can't really imagine any use for this.
>
> Here's an idea:
>
> 1. Just beam from the first three notes over to the high G-flat.
> 2. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem
> #'flag-style = #'no-flag, and do a \stemUp.
> 3. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override NoteColumn
> #'force-hshift = #-1.  Adjust this value until the stem is aligned
> perfectly with the stem of the note in the right hand.
> 4. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem #'length =
> #12 or however long it needs to be to meet up with the beam.
>
> I did my research out of the 2.5 manual, so your mileage may vary; but I
> don't think there's anything especially late-breaking about any of the
> features I used above.  The noteheads of the eighth-notes in the left &
> right hands won't be horizontally aligned, but their stems will meet the
> beam in the same place.  Is that acceptable?
>
> --Daniel
>
> Henrik Frisk wrote:
>
> >I'm running lilypond 2.4.5 (fink installation) on OSX 10.3.9. Attached to this mail is an example. Although this bar works OK the way it is, I would have liked to beam it 1/4+1/8 rather than 1/8+1/8+1/8. Either by connecting the lower beam of the first 1/8 note group to the stem of the second eighth note (from a notation point of view this would be unorthodox since one of the note heads would end up on the wrong side of the stem). The other way would be to have the beam go below all notes on beat one and two (counting eihgth notes).
> >
> >Here's the code for the bar:
> >
> >  \time 3/8
> >  ges'''16~[ \revert Beam #'positions ges64 \change Staff=lower f,32. ] \change Staff=upper \stemExtend \noFlag ges'8-> \noBeam
> >  \acciaccatura { g32^\pedalc } \change Staff = lower b,,,32 [ \change Staff = upper f''~ f16~ ] |
> >
> >And here are the \noFlag and \stemExtend:
> >
> >noFlag = \once \override Stem #'flag-style = #'no-flag
> >stemExtend = \once \override Stem #'length = #32
> >
> >...and attached is an image.
> >
> >This is the first piece I do in LilyPond, so I'm not very experienced yet. Tahnks for any help.
> >
> >/henrik

Re: Extending beamed stems

Daniel Johnson-2
Watch out when upgrading from 2.4 to 2.5 if you use lots of TeX markup
(and it looks like you might, to achieve your /pedalc markup).  Since
2.5 does not use TeX as a backend by default, you'll have to recode this
stuff using standard markup.  Version 2.5 writes PostScript directly
without processing as TeX first.

--Daniel

Henrik Frisk wrote:

>Your suggested solution seems to be the way to do it. I tried it quickly, but the NoteColumn #'force-hshift didn't do anything. Now, that may be because I am not using the 2.5 yet and i didn't start looking in the manual for a way to achieve this in 2.4. I will upgrade and try again and in any event, you have pointed me in the right direction, and I am sure i will be able to find out. I am still curious to find out why the Voice.Beam #'X-extent and Voice.Beam #'extra-offset doesn't have any effect. This was what I tried at first. Anybody knows why me and Daniel are unsuccessful in getting the desired effect?
>
>Daniel Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hmm.  This is a real puzzler, because even though the Beam object
>>implements the grob-interface, only certain grob properties have any
>>effect.  Specifically, I tried the following on a small test file and
>>they did nothing:
>>
>>\once \override Voice.Beam #'X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
>>\once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
>>
>>Oddly enough, the following DID have an effect:
>>\once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 15)
>>but of course I can't really imagine any use for this.
>>
>>Here's an idea:
>>
>>1. Just beam from the first three notes over to the high G-flat.
>>2. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem
>>#'flag-style = #'no-flag, and do a \stemUp.
>>3. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override NoteColumn
>>#'force-hshift = #-1.  Adjust this value until the stem is aligned
>>perfectly with the stem of the note in the right hand.
>>4. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem #'length =
>>#12 or however long it needs to be to meet up with the beam.
>>
>>I did my research out of the 2.5 manual, so your mileage may vary; but I
>>don't think there's anything especially late-breaking about any of the
>>features I used above.  The noteheads of the eighth-notes in the left &
>>right hands won't be horizontally aligned, but their stems will meet the
>>beam in the same place.  Is that acceptable?
>>
>>--Daniel

Re: Extending beamed stems

Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Your suggested solution seems to be the way to do it. I tried it quickly, but the NoteColumn #'force-hshift didn't do anything. Now, that may be because I am not using the 2.5 yet and i didn't start looking in the manual for a way to achieve this in 2.4. I will upgrade and try again and in any event, you have pointed me in the right direction, and I am sure i will be able to find out. I am still curious to find out why the Voice.Beam #'X-extent and Voice.Beam #'extra-offset doesn't have any effect. This was what I tried at first. Anybody knows why me and Daniel are unsuccessful in getting the desired effect?

As far as I know, the Voice.Beam #'X-extent property is only used
when LilyPond tries to determine the (horizontal) spacing between
different objects. In other words, the property does not
change the size of the object, it just tells the collision and
spacing handling how large the object should be considered. Same
goes for extra-X-extent. The extra-offset property, on the other
should definitely work (and does so according to the email below).

   /Mats

> Daniel Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hmm.  This is a real puzzler, because even though the Beam object
>>implements the grob-interface, only certain grob properties have any
>>effect.  Specifically, I tried the following on a small test file and
>>they did nothing:
>>
>>\once \override Voice.Beam #'X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
>>\once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
>>
>>Oddly enough, the following DID have an effect:
>>\once \override Voice.Beam #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 15)
>>but of course I can't really imagine any use for this.
>>
>>Here's an idea:
>>
>>1. Just beam from the first three notes over to the high G-flat.
>>2. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem
>>#'flag-style = #'no-flag, and do a \stemUp.
>>3. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override NoteColumn
>>#'force-hshift = #-1.  Adjust this value until the stem is aligned
>>perfectly with the stem of the note in the right hand.
>>4. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem #'length =
>>#12 or however long it needs to be to meet up with the beam.
>>
>>I did my research out of the 2.5 manual, so your mileage may vary; but I
>>don't think there's anything especially late-breaking about any of the
>>features I used above.  The noteheads of the eighth-notes in the left &
>>right hands won't be horizontally aligned, but their stems will meet the
>>beam in the same place.  Is that acceptable?
>>
>>--Daniel
>>
>>Henrik Frisk wrote:
>>

>>>I'm running lilypond 2.4.5 (fink installation) on OSX 10.3.9. Attached to this mail is an example. Although this bar works OK the way it is, I would have liked to beam it 1/4+1/8 rather than 1/8+1/8+1/8. Either by connecting the lower beam of the first 1/8 note group to the stem of the second eighth note (from a notation point of view this would be unorthodox since one of the note heads would end up on the wrong side of the stem). The other way would be to have the beam go below all notes on beat one and two (counting eihgth notes).
>>>
>>>Here's the code for the bar:
>>>
>>> \time 3/8
>>> ges'''16~[ \revert Beam #'positions ges64 \change Staff=lower f,32. ] \change Staff=upper \stemExtend \noFlag ges'8-> \noBeam
>>> \acciaccatura { g32^\pedalc } \change Staff = lower b,,,32 [ \change Staff = upper f''~ f16~ ] |
>>>
>>>And here are the \noFlag and \stemExtend:
>>>
>>>noFlag = \once \override Stem #'flag-style = #'no-flag
>>>stemExtend = \once \override Stem #'length = #32
>>>
>>>...and attached is an image.
>>>
>>>This is the first piece I do in LilyPond, so I'm not very experienced yet. Tahnks for any help.
>>>
>>>/henrik

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463
         Fax:   (+46) 8 790 7260
        Email: [hidden email]
        WWW: http://www.s3.kth.se/~mabe

Re: Extending beamed stems

Henrik Frisk
OK, that makes sense. Beginner question: Is this terminology
consistent for all properties, that is, *-extent referring to
spacing and *-offset to 'real' size?

/henrik

Mats Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >>Here's an idea:
> >>
> >>1. Just beam from the first three notes over to the high G-flat.
> >>2. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem
> >>#'flag-style = #'no-flag, and do a \stemUp.
> >>3. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override NoteColumn
> >>#'force-hshift = #-1.  Adjust this value until the stem is aligned
> >>perfectly with the stem of the note in the right hand.
> >>4. On the D in the left hand, do a \once \override Voice.Stem #'length =
> >>#12 or however long it needs to be to meet up with the beam.
> >>
> >>I did my research out of the 2.5 manual, so your mileage may vary; but I
> >>don't think there's anything especially late-breaking about any of the
> >>features I used above.  The noteheads of the eighth-notes in the left &
> >>right hands won't be horizontally aligned, but their stems will meet the
> >>beam in the same place.  Is that acceptable?

Re: Extending beamed stems

Mats Bengtsson-6
Read in the chapter on "Changing Defaults" how to find the
documentation of these properties. Regarding the naming,
-extent refers to the extent of the object and offset
to the offset (displacement)  ;-)

   /Mats