Exited with return code -1073741819.

MING TSANG
hi, lilyponders:

(1).  What is the meaning of the following error message?
I have SATB + piano score of 100 bars. Each SATB+pianoRH coded with 100 bars. I started to code piano-LH and it was all compilable upto bar  45 (no error). But after coded bar 46, I got the error.

(2)  Window 10 generate the Chinese character onto the file naming, why the error message cannot display the UTF-8 Chinese character?

Thank for the help.

Immanuel,
Ming.

Starting lilypond-windows.exe 2.19.46 [could-this-be-the-day_能否於今天.ly]...
Processing `C:/Users/user/Google Drive/CHOIR_2016/Could-This-Be-The-Day_�ܷ�춽���/could-this-be-the-day_�ܷ�춽���.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `could-this-be-the-day_�ܷ�춽���-soprano.mid'...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `could-this-be-the-day_�ܷ�춽���-alto.mid'...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `could-this-be-the-day_�ܷ�춽���-tenor.mid'...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `could-this-be-the-day_�ܷ�춽���-bass.mid'...
Interpreting music...[8][16][24][32][40][48][56][64][72][80][88][96]
Exited with return code -1073741819.

Re: Exited with return code -1073741819.

Christ van Willegen
Hello,

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM, MING TSANG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Exited with return code -1073741819.

A quick Google search led to this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/file-system-error-1073741819-on-windows-10/30f76ed6-bac1-4863-bfc0-fddb746af898

Perhaps a registry error or a file system error?

Does 'rolling back' to less bars of music make the error go away?

HTH!

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Re: Exited with return code -1073741819.

MING TSANG
Hi, Christ van Willegen,

Thank for the info.

The score is SATB + piano.
I coded soprano first 100 bars, the alto 100 bars, then tenor 100 bars and bass 100 bars.  I compile the score every 5 bars added.  No error.
The I coded LH-piano 100 bars and no error.  I code LH-piano to bar 45, no error.  I coded 46, 47, 48,49 and 50 --- comile giving me the error.  I remove bar 50 compile error, I remove bar 49, compile error, I remove bar 48, compile error. Remove bar 47, compile error. Remove bar 46, compile error.  Remove 46, compile OK.   This is all done in lilypond 2.19.46.

I saw there is lilypond 2.19.49 available. I download and install.  Now when code bar 46, compile OK; Code bar 47, compile error.

I don't know what to do now.  Help is appreciated.

Immanuel,
Ming.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM, MING TSANG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Exited with return code -1073741819.

A quick Google search led to this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/file-system-error-1073741819-on-windows-10/30f76ed6-bac1-4863-bfc0-fddb746af898

Perhaps a registry error or a file system error?

Does 'rolling back' to less bars of music make the error go away?

HTH!

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM, MING TSANG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Exited with return code -1073741819.

A quick Google search led to this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/file-system-error-1073741819-on-windows-10/30f76ed6-bac1-4863-bfc0-fddb746af898

Perhaps a registry error or a file system error?

Does 'rolling back' to less bars of music make the error go away?

HTH!

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

spitzhalde9
D-79853 lenzkirch
[hidden email]
www.b-kleine.com, www.urseetal.net
-
thunderbird mit enigmail
GPG schlüssel: D5257409
fingerprint:
08 B7 F8 70 22 7A FC C1 15 49 CA A6 C7 6F A0 2E D5 25 74 09

Re: Exited with return code -1073741819.

Andrew Bernard
Can you send me the file to examine?

You have had problems like this before I have helped you with. I will wager it is the same thing.

Happy to help.

Andrew

On 30 October 2016 at 19:49, MING TSANG  wrote:
hi, lilyponders:

(1).  What is the meaning of the following error message?
I have SATB + piano score of 100 bars. Each SATB+pianoRH coded with 100 bars. I started to code piano-LH and it was all compilable upto bar  45 (no error). But after coded bar 46, I got the error.

(2)  Window 10 generate the Chinese character onto the file naming, why the error message cannot display the UTF-8 Chinese character?

Thank for the help.

Re: Exited with return code -1073741819.

MING TSANG
Andrew,
Here is the .ly file.

I did further compile, now the error appear on left piano bar 54.

Thank you for your help.

Immanuel,
Ming

41be2f44-c8ea-a252-eec0-e0a951cd0762@yahoo.com (23K) Download Attachment

RE: Exited with return code -1073741819.

Andrew Bernard

Hi Ming,

We have been through this before, I am sorry to say. You write lilypond code in a way that compiles, yes, but it is pathological in the extreme, to put it mildly. You set each and every bar as a variable, and when there are several voices, introduce new parallel voices in every bar. As an example for the others, this is what you do:

lft.46 = { <<{g2 f2}\\{d1}>> |}

lft.47 = { <<{r4 ef4~ <ef g>2}\\{g,1}>> |}

lft.48 = \lft.47

lft.49 = { <<{r4 f4~ <f a>2}\\{a,1}>> |}

lft.50 = { <<{r4 e!4 g2}\\{a,2. 4}>> |}

lft.51 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{<d d'>1}>> |}

lft.52 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{cs'1}>> |}

lft.53 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{c'!1}>> |}

lft.54 = { <<{r4 <f'a'>2.}\\{b1}>> |}

lft.55 = { <<{r4 a4~ <a d'f'>2}\\{d1}>> |}

lft.56 = { <<{r4 c4 a2}\\{f,1}>> |}

lft.57 = { <<{r4 g2.}\\{c1}>> |}

There is no earthly reason for doing this, and I have no idea where you got this idea from. The problem with being idiosyncratic and uniquely individual in programming is that it makes it very hard nad needlessly time consuming for other people to help you, having to wade through all this non standard weirdness. I am not surprised the error keeps shifting around. We had the same thing last time if you care to consult your notes. I imagine lilypond sees all these needless constructs, and because they are just strange and nobody codes like that, latent obscure bugs are triggered with out of resource type errors, or who knows what, because nobody would test code that looks like this.

Everybody here is prepared to give their time and skill to helping out the community, but I am afraid you will have to learn to code in a more normal style for piano and SATB with several voices. Do you lack examples? I am sure we can find you some.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh. It not intended to be a personal criticism nor is it an attack, it’s just that a) if you write normal scores I am sure your continual issues will evaporate and b) we can really only help when your scores are of a more normal form. I hope you understand. I also need to write this email to deter others in the future from coming up with strange solutions such as the way you encode your work.

Andrew

Re: Exited with return code -1073741819.

David Kastrup
"Andrew Bernard" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ming,
>

> We have been through this before, I am sorry to say. You write
> lilypond code in a way that compiles, yes, but it is pathological in
> the extreme, to put it mildly. You set each and every bar as a
> variable, and when there are several voices, introduce new parallel
> voices in every bar. As an example for the others, this is what you
> do:
>

> lft.46 = { <<{g2 f2}\\{d1}>> |}
>
> lft.47 = { <<{r4 ef4~ <ef g>2}\\{g,1}>> |}

Those are not "new parallel voices": they still connect.  See:

{
  << c''1~ \\ e'1~ >>
  << c''1 \\ e'1 >>
}

<< ... \\ ... >> translates to
<< \context Voice = "1" ... \context Voice = "2" ... >>

so when the parallel voices line up perfectly in time, they still happen
to connect.  It still makes a hash of understanding the code and
debugging it and may well trigger rare problems in our context handling.

Without very good reason, choosing such a non-structure definitely looks
like creating more problems than it solves.

Re: Exited with return code -1073741819.

David Wright
On Tue 01 Nov 2016 at 15:23:21 (+0100), David Kastrup wrote:

> "Andrew Bernard" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Hi Ming,
> > We have been through this before, I am sorry to say. You write
> > lilypond code in a way that compiles, yes, but it is pathological in
> > the extreme, to put it mildly. You set each and every bar as a
> > variable, and when there are several voices, introduce new parallel
> > voices in every bar. As an example for the others, this is what you
> > do:
> >
> > lft.46 = { <<{g2 f2}\\{d1}>> |}
> >
> > lft.47 = { <<{r4 ef4~ <ef g>2}\\{g,1}>> |}
>
> Those are not "new parallel voices": they still connect.  See:
>
> {
>   << c''1~ \\ e'1~ >>
>   << c''1 \\ e'1 >>
> }
>
> << ... \\ ... >> translates to
> << \context Voice = "1" ... \context Voice = "2" ... >>
>
> so when the parallel voices line up perfectly in time, they still happen
> to connect.  It still makes a hash of understanding the code and
> debugging it and may well trigger rare problems in our context handling.
>
> Without very good reason, choosing such a non-structure definitely looks
> like creating more problems than it solves.
Well, the reasons were given in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-03/msg00609.html
but I can't see that a construction like

sop.12 = \sop.1
sop.13 = \sop.1
sop.14 = \sop.1
sop.15 = \sop.1
sop.16 = \sop.5
sop.17 = \sop.1
sop.18 = \sop.1
sop.19 = \sop.1
sop.20 = \sop.1
sop.21 = \sop.5

is any less error-prone than

R1 * 5 \break
R1 * 5 \break

nor can I imagine that it involves any less copy&paste, unless all the
sop sop sop stuff was actually typed in. At least the source is not
obfuscated, which it was last time.

Anyway, with a few global edits, the source compiles just fine.
Last page attached.

Cheers,
David.

pg_0007.pdf (51K) Download Attachment

RE: Exited with return code -1073741819.

Andrew Bernard
HI Folks,

I am not sure for whom you mean error prone - the user, or the compiler.

It seems like after many many repetitions of the variable constructs
representing each bar lilypond just loses the plot and runs out of
resources. It's probably a really obscure bug. It's a use case hardly worth
testing, it being so unusual. This style of coding in indeed obfuscated,
unnecessary, and time consuming to study and fix. Heavy going at the very
least.

I could not see what the fixes were from your email David, unless I am
missing an attachment. What did you do to make this work?

Andrew

On Wed 02 Nov 2016 at 07:44:29 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> I am not sure for whom you mean error prone - the user, or the compiler.

The user. Constructions like   seq 1 10   (eg, in bash) are designed
to avoid the need for   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. Computers are good at
this, humans aren't. We slip up. Compilers don't.

> It seems like after many many repetitions of the variable constructs
> representing each bar lilypond just loses the plot and runs out of
> resources. It's probably a really obscure bug. It's a use case hardly worth
> testing, it being so unusual.

That may well be the problem, but it ought to detect the fact and say so.

> I could not see what the fixes were from your email David, unless I am
> missing an attachment. What did you do to make this work?

Three or four global replacements for the RHS variables,
a few copy&pastes to fill in the "borrowed" parts like \expandVar \sop 23 38
then a macro to erase the LHS variables and their = sign.
I left the redundant braces around each bar.

Cheers,
David.

wow.ly (15K) Download Attachment