Excessive spacing between staves with \MarkLine

Excessive spacing between staves with \MarkLine

Cantus Ornatus
Hi everyone.
In typesetting chamber music with accompaniment, I would like to print
the tempo marks on the bottom staff.

Unfortunately, a tempo change produces a lot of space upon the bottom
staff, until the last tempo mark.

I think that a similar issue has already been discussed two years ago
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Possible-bug-with-tempo-mark-spacing-td218330.html>
but I did not understand how to work it out.

Here is an example.
Thanks in advance,
Francesco

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.20.0"

global = {
  \tempo "Adagio"
  s1*30
  \tempo "Allegro"
  s1*2
}

music = \relative c'' {
  \repeat unfold 33 { a1 }
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \name "MarkLine"
    \type "Engraver_group"
    \consists Output_property_engraver
    \consists Axis_group_engraver
    \consists Mark_engraver
    \consists Metronome_mark_engraver
    \override RehearsalMark.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 1)
    \override MetronomeMark.extra-spacing-width = #'(0.5 . 0)
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.minimum-Y-extent = #'(-2 . 2)
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-staff-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 1)
       (minimum-distance . 1)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 3))
  }
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove Mark_engraver
    \remove Metronome_mark_engraver
    \accepts MarkLine

    \new Staff << \global \music >>
    \new Staff << \global \music >>
    \new MarkLine \global
    \new Staff << \global \music >>

}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Re: Excessive spacing between staves with \MarkLine

Kieren MacMillan
Hi Francesco,

> Unfortunately, a tempo change produces a lot of space upon the bottom
> staff, until the last tempo mark.

Try

> \layout {
>  \context {
>    \name "MarkLine"
>    \type "Engraver_group"
\RemoveAllEmptyStaves

That seems to work for me.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

_______________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: Excessive spacing between staves with \MarkLine

Cantus Ornatus
Thanks for the reply.
It removes the blank space, but, unfortunately, the tempo marks too!

Il giorno gio 20 ago 2020 alle ore 19:13 Kieren MacMillan
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Hi Francesco,
>
> > Unfortunately, a tempo change produces a lot of space upon the bottom
> > staff, until the last tempo mark.
>
> Try
>
> > \layout {
> >  \context {
> >    \name "MarkLine"
> >    \type "Engraver_group"
> \RemoveAllEmptyStaves
>
> That seems to work for me.
>
> Hope that helps!
> Kieren.
>
> _______________________________
>
> Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
> ‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
> ‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: Excessive spacing between staves with \MarkLine

Kieren MacMillan
Hi,

> Thanks for the reply.
> It removes the blank space, but, unfortunately, the tempo marks too!

Oops!

   \RemoveAllEmptyStaves
   keepAliveInterfaces = #'( metronome-mark-interface )

That should do it.  =)

Cheers,
Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: [hidden email]

Re: Excessive spacing between staves with \MarkLine

Cantus Ornatus
It works perfectly on the test file.
On the real score it prints just the tempo marks in the first system,
I don't understand why...
Anyway, I will write the second tempo as a markup.
Thanks a lot!
F.